Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 03:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ok so I've been through mgmat sc once and I have trouble

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Ok so I've been through mgmat sc once and I have trouble [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2010, 14:15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Ok so I've been through mgmat sc once and I have trouble with all the terminology e.g past partciple, present perfect etc etc. Does spending time memorizing the different names and what they represent significantly improve what you get out of the book? Or have you found a way to understand the key rules without memorizing the terminology? The book states that its more about rules than terms but you get a bit lost without knowing them. I'm running out of time and still find sc very tough. The mgmat sc is described as a bible by many on here but I'm struggling with it and I'm a native speaker
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Followers: 75

Kudos [?]: 112 [1] , given: 7

Re: Mgmat sc approach [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2010, 13:25
This post received
KUDOS
afyl128,

Here's my perspective as a Manhattan GMAT instructor: It is not critical that you know all the terms as long as you know the rules themselves. A few examples:

You need to understand that a noun modifier must sit adjacent to the noun it modifies. It helps for discussion purposes if you know that something that modifies a noun is called a "noun modifier" but it's far more critical that you simply know that modifiers that start with "which, who, where, that" are noun modifiers.

You need to understand that a pronoun must clearly and unambiguously refer to a noun that is actually present in the sentence. It's helpful if you know that the noun to which the pronoun refers is called an antecedent, but that's not critical.

You need to know that you should stick with the simple verb tenses (past, perfect, future) unless you have a reason to use a more complicated tense. It's helpful if you are able to articulate the rule that you should use the "past perfect" tense if you have a later time period referred to in the same sentence (i.e. The fire had been burning for six hours by the time the firemen arrived.), but what's more important is just that you know when you should and shouldn't use certain tenses.

In short: Given your time constraint, I'd learn only enough of the terminology so you can a) understand the grammatical rules and b) know what rule or term to search for on discussion forums like this one!

Does that help?

Brett

Brett Beach-Kimball | Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Mgmat sc approach [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2010, 18:18
Try reading SC Grail too, its a pretty easy read, I would ref both mgmat sc and sc grial whenever i need clarification.
Re: Mgmat sc approach   [#permalink] 12 Nov 2010, 18:18