Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:46 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Re: Ok, specific question about GMAT use after being admitted [#permalink]
First of all, a 710 is a terrific score. Congrats!

But to answer your question: don't retake. You have already been accepted into your choice school, and a high GMAT score won't really help for job placement - regardless of the industry. I suspect that it's indeed a "tick the box" exercise. Most importantly, you don't want to retake it. Time to move on, I say.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bmillan01 wrote:
First of all, a 710 is a terrific score. Congrats!

But to answer your question: don't retake. You have already been accepted into your choice school, and a high GMAT score won't really help for job placement - regardless of the industry. I suspect that it's indeed a "tick the box" exercise. Most importantly, you don't want to retake it. Time to move on, I say.

Thanks. That's good advice. And as said above, I really am not keen on retaking it, I rather enjoy the summer (got some time off right now!), I was just asking about some insights people might have on GMAT and its use by employers.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey people, just wanted to let you know that I said "good advice", thought "good advice", then turned around 3 days later, called the career office of my B-school and got quite an interesting factoid: apparently this year, one of the big 3 consulting firms was only seriously looking at candidates with a GMAT of 720+. No joke.

Well, I started to take the OG to the lake and practised a bit and it really looked like my only problems were SC. So I said "what tha heck, let's do it again", concentrated on SC and some math and did about 30-35 net hours in prep including 1 gmanhattan online test (they suck, sorry to say...) and another GMAT prep test coming in at 760.

Ok, 250 dollars poorer and robbed off about 10 days of full-time vacation (that turned to be part time vacation...) here is my take on retaking the GMAT when you got a 710 and have much higher scores in GMAT prep tests:

PROS: 1. I got a 730, which is higher than 710, but not near as high as I expected. 50 Q 40 V, the last half our of my verbal exam they started construction work right outside the building, well I got earplugs but it was still annoying as hell. 2. Hey, I am above that alleged threshold for one of the big 3 consulting firms... not sure if I want to work there anyway, if their recruiting takes the easy road and just dismisses candidates with less than 720 GMAT...

CONS: 250 dollars out of the window, 10 mostly nice summer days half used up for GMAT prep, annoyed girlfriend (I told her to "leave me alone!" during the quant part of the online gmanhattan test...), a jump from 710 to 730 that really may not have been worth it.

CONCLUSION: If 250 dollars isn't a big thing for you and you got some time and know you can score higher than 710, do the GMAT again unless you know the score is irrelevant for your further career. But be prepared that you might clock in less than you expected.
GMAT Club Bot