Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 02:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Okay, someone tell me this is not a fluke...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Okay, someone tell me this is not a fluke... [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 09:49
Good news... I just took a Manhatten GMAT practice exam and got a 740 (46Q 45V). I am SHOCKED. I have never been able to get above a 38 in verbal and suddenly I'm in the 99th percentile? My scores have been ranging around a 660-680 in the past, so the huge increase is shocking.

Should I see this test as a fluke? I took the entire thing timed, and I even had a lot of distractions during my verbal due to people talking around me. I don't feel as if I did anything too different, except I read the RC passages more closely.

Although I have taken the MGMAT set once, I don't think I got a high verbal score due to remembering the answers from past exams because I never really went over the ones I missed.

I'm taking the test on November 1st... I guess I just want to know if any of you think this actually might be an actual representation of my score.

Also, does anyone have any advice on preparing for these next 3 weeks before my exam?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 1391 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Okay, someone tell me this is not a fluke... [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 09:59
MGMAT tests are pretty decent indicators, I'd think but then nothing is more accurate than your GMAT Prep. If you're nearing the end of your study period, I suggest you take your GMAT Prep again and see where you stand with that. And you can use the GMAT Club Score Estimator to calculate your potential score on the actual GMAT.

A 38 to 44 jump is quite big, but at the same time, I wouldn't necessarily dismiss it as the result of luck. Take another test to corroborate your score and see how it goes. :)
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 48

Re: Okay, someone tell me this is not a fluke... [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 10:25
Well, MGMATs utilize a fixed question bank of approx 1200 questions.
First few tests remain tough in both Q and V becoz the software tries to utilizes maximum questions from the range of 600 and above for obvious reasons.

I wont say this is a general trend (cannot be generalized so easily) but yes I have read in atleast 3 blogs that after 3/4 tests in MGMAT, it starts throwing all the eazy questions or the repeated ones from the previous tests because its pool of questions in the range where you were performing gets exhausted.

E.g. if you were scoring consistently around 650 in first 3 MGMATs, all your 700-800 level questions will be finished from the pool, once they finish the test will throw easier ones from 400-500 or 500-600 pool just to finish the total pool.

So as rightly pointed by whiplash better score your SCORES at GMATPREP, the real indicator.

I would advise try giving a MGMAT untimed, you will see more tougher questions thereby realizing whether you actually reached the pinnacle of MGMAT questions or the questions were repeated.

P.S. views are just mine,may or may not be true,read from other sources and just telling a perspective, i am myself using the MGMAT tests for my prep.

Giving Kudos, is a great Way to Help the GC Community Kudos

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: Okay, someone tell me this is not a fluke... [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 10:48
Thanks whiplash! I definitely plan on taking a GMAT Prep later in the week or over the weekend to see how well I fare on that one.

methevoid - I actually reset my CAT exams so this was CAT #2. I also took note of the question difficulty and many of them were in the 700-800 range with a few in the 600-700 range... so I don't think that was the case. I do understand what you're saying though.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
WE 1: Project Management, Telecommunications
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Okay, someone tell me this is not a fluke... [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 11:35
methevoid wrote:
Well, MGMATs utilize a fixed question bank of approx 1200 questions.
First few tests remain tough in both Q and V becoz the software tries to utilizes maximum questions from the range of 600 and above for obvious reasons.

I wont say this is a general trend (cannot be generalized so easily) but yes I have read in atleast 3 blogs that after 3/4 tests in MGMAT, it starts throwing all the eazy questions or the repeated ones from the previous tests because its pool of questions in the range where you were performing gets exhausted.

E.g. if you were scoring consistently around 650 in first 3 MGMATs, all your 700-800 level questions will be finished from the pool, once they finish the test will throw easier ones from 400-500 or 500-600 pool just to finish the total pool.

So as rightly pointed by whiplash better score your SCORES at GMATPREP, the real indicator.

I would advise try giving a MGMAT untimed, you will see more tougher questions thereby realizing whether you actually reached the pinnacle of MGMAT questions or the questions were repeated.

P.S. views are just mine,may or may not be true,read from other sources and just telling a perspective, i am myself using the MGMAT tests for my prep.

You might be onto something here. I started scoring in the 700s on MGMAT towards the latter exams (including a V41) and then fell to a 670 when I tried the GMAT Prep. I did better in Quant on GMAT Prep, but my verbal was significantly lower than the scores I was getting in MGMAT. The MGMAT Verbal definitely felt easier. I assumed GMAT Prep would be a better reflection of my actual score so took some more time to study instead of writing the real thing. Hope it pays off in the long run. :)

In conclusion, be prepared for a drop in your score after the MGMAT CATs, especially on verbal. I know others have actually improved their score after going from MGMAT to GMAT Prep but it could go either way.
Re: Okay, someone tell me this is not a fluke...   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2010, 11:35