Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 13:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Old Criminal Record applying to top MBAs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GPA: 3.1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 1

Old Criminal Record applying to top MBAs [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 14:06
I have a 770 GMAT, strong history of promotions and increased responsibility, am in charge of a functional department within my company with a number of direct reports, have great recommendations, and think my essays are all strong.

That being said, just under 10 years ago I was arrested for criminal speeding (I was going over 90 in a 45 - police officer was the only other person on the road at the time. I did have a passenger in the car, but he was my age and, like immature teenagers, we were discussing how fast our cars could go). I appeared in court and had to pay a substantial fine. I haven't had a speeding ticket since then.

Maybe I'm over thinking it at this point, but any thoughts on how this will affect my application to the top schools? I've drafted a brief (~150 word) essay to include when I have to disclose this that basically states what I did, why (immaturity), and that I haven't had a speeding ticket since. Anything else I can do?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 401 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Old Criminal Record applying to top MBAs [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 14:15
Were you convicted of anything? If so, was it a misdemeanor or a felony? Most schools only ask about felony convictions. Be very sure that the school is requiring you to disclose the type of offense criminal speeding is. If it's not then you're not obligated to disclose it.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GPA: 3.1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 1

Re: Old Criminal Record applying to top MBAs [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 14:20
sorry - I was convicted of criminal speeding as well. This is a misdemeanor, and the wording on one of my apps makes it seem like I'm obligated to disclose it.
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Old Criminal Record applying to top MBAs [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 18:50
riverfish wrote:
sorry - I was convicted of criminal speeding as well. This is a misdemeanor, and the wording on one of my apps makes it seem like I'm obligated to disclose it.

I would call the schools without sharing who you are and just ask whether or not you have to disclose misdemeanors. Each school may be different and as Cheeterah notes, don't throw something out there unless it's required.

Congrats on the high GMAT by the by!

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Re: Old Criminal Record applying to top MBAs   [#permalink] 30 Dec 2012, 18:50