Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 17:54

Going on right now!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Old GMAT format (760 V: 49 Q:47 Essays: 6/6)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V49
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Old GMAT format (760 V: 49 Q:47 Essays: 6/6) [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 07:52
Took the GMAT over a year back, didn't know of this forum back then, otherwise I would have posted here earlier :)

I got into a bit of a predicament around the time of my GMAT, as the deadline for my thesis and GMAT were on the same day. I ended up deciding there was nothing to gain from studying the verbal portion of the test for such a short period, so instead I did 2 10-hour days on the quant section and taking the test as sort of a "let's go and see how this works out" kind of thing. I went in without the stress of high expectations and just did as well as I could, which turned out to be a lot better than I'd anticipated.

I've browsed through these forums a bit and see a lot of people hyping themselves up or getting extremely anxious about taking the GMAT, and I get where they are coming from. I, however, would like to emphasize the importance of calming yourself down before the test. It's much too long to be hyped the entire way through, so you need to find a comfortable level of energy for you to perform on. I went in wearing sweatpants and a hoodie, with a big bottle of water. I was as relaxed as I could have been, and I think it paid enormous dividends on the questions I wasn't sure about.

I'm not a native English speaker, but went to summer school at the local American School and my bachelor's degree in Law and Economics was in English. I probably got the vast majority of my reading and writing ability from just reading a lot of books about things that interest me, and this is another tip I feel is useful for everyone looking to take the GMAT. A great strategy to improve your score on the verbal section of the test, as an addition to studying the GMAT Prep books etc. (of which I can't gauge the effectiveness), is to make sure that, assuming you plan better than I do and have a few months or so before your test, you are reading a lot of material you find interesting. This will allow you to engage with the stuff you're reading much more, and you will learn more from it.

I just finished a Master's degree in Finance and am considering going to business school (applying before my GMAT score expires).

I'm not that on the up and up about US business schools, and would like to hear your opinions as to what types of schools would be realistic.

My GPA in my Master's was a 3.9, and I have internship/work experience at a VC, PE Fund, and an Investment Bank.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Old GMAT format (760 V: 49 Q:47 Essays: 6/6)   [#permalink] 20 Nov 2012, 07:52