Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 08:03

Hurry Up:

Last day of registration for Dealing with a Ding - Webinar by GMATClub and Admissionado Consulting.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Old guy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Old guy [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 03:02
I took the GMAT many years ago (7+). Was very busy at work and didn't really prepare.. 20 hours or so.
Managed to get 710, which didn't get me into the schools I wanted so I did a less-than-optimal MBA.

Am now planning on doing a MS.

(i) Assuming I want a very good score.. as close to 800 as possible, how much time is realistic? In terms of hours.
I write a lot and use a lot of math at work (I'm a hedge fund analyst).

(ii) I saw the beginner's section here with it's book recommendations.. quite confusing.
What texts or practice books are currently regarded as being the best out there?

(iii) Top B schools seem to put really low GMAT scores as their cut offs, which i think is misleading.
What do you think the average would be in INSEAD or Harvard MBA programs?

thanks very much.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 553 [0], given: 5

Re: Old guy [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 09:14
Expert's post
Do you need the GMAT for an MS Degree? It may be particular for your program but usually a master's degree does not require the GMAT Exam. Only the MBA does - and it seems you already have your MBA?

GMAT score averages at Harvard/Insead are easily over 700 - the exact figure is usually between 710-720. But there are certainly applicants who have scores in the 600s that get in - they will usually have a pretty impressive business background.

Typically to boost your score to 800 - it's really about precision. You already got 710 - it's a tweak of finding the right types of problems that would bring you down and spending a few weeks to nail everything down. Then you have to execute on the actual exam day. I would recommend at least 2 wks - preferably 1 month of studying on wkends/evenings.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: Old guy   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2012, 09:14