Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 23:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

"Older" Applicant here.....

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

"Older" Applicant here..... [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2006, 12:06
Hi,

Thanks in advance for taking the time to review my profile. I have an interesting story and a semi-unique background to share. Would be glad to hear your insights.

Background:

* 32 year-old male, married with two wonderful children (ages 3 and 1)

* I was born and raised in the US but have been living abroad in lsrael for the last 12+ years (~40% of my life). I have dual-nationality (lsrael and USA), speak both languages fluently and possess rich-international exposure.

* 7+ years work experience as a Business Analyst in lsrael's hi-tech sector. Diverse experience as a strategy consultant, VC analyst and Product Analyst. I also travelled extensively to Europe as part of my work (1-2 times per month). Solid managerial experience and excellent recommendations to boot.

* Two years of military service in the lsraeli army, where my time was divided between quantitative statistical analysis and guarding West-Bank settlements.

* Strong community involvement/extracurricular: Founded a Non-Profit group that assists Israel Immigrants living overseas - more than 200 paid, active members this year alone. The Group holds many activities including hospital visits, food drives, lectures and prayer gatherings. Im also a regular volunteer at an urban environmental group that helps restore lsraeli towns and city centers. In the past, Ive been a Freelance-writer and have also assisted many startup Companies with Business-Plan strategy and composition.

* BA in English Literature from an Israeli University- GPA of ~3.3 (83 of 100 in lsraeli terms).

* GMAT 620 (Q: 44, V: 32, AWA: 5.5). This absolutely kills me. Ive taken it twice and will consider taking it a third time but I want to apply Rd 1 and have already completed the applications. I wont be eligible to take it again until the end of October. I feel like I need at least another 30 points, if not 50. Time is of the essence.

Goals

I'd like to continue working in Business Strategy since Im good at it and feel I can make a difference. After school, Id like to work in corproate development at a Fortune1000 and assist with internaional strategy policy with regards to partnerships and M&A's. In the Long-term, Id be privy to return to the world of Strategy Consulting given my prior experience and skillset.

Target Schools

I was wondering if I have any chance at these schools (preferably the top three) given my poor GMAT score. Is there any chance the ADCOM's would dismiss my poor verbal score since Im a native English speaker with a literature background, strong essays, etc? Especially since my Quant score is ok...

1. Wharton: (kiss that baby good-bye with my GMAT score :cry: )

2. Yale
3. Duke

4. Darden
5. UNC
6. Emory (one-year program)

Am I reaching here? I keep telling myself that GMAT scores arent everything, especially if you have other differentiators that will catch the ADCOMS eye. Thats what they say, anyway. I keep wondering who that rule really applies to.... :(

Many thanks in advance....
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: "Older" Applicant here..... [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2006, 19:50
native wrote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance for taking the time to review my profile. I have an interesting story and a semi-unique background to share. Would be glad to hear your insights.

Background:

* 32 year-old male, married with two wonderful children (ages 3 and 1)

* I was born and raised in the US but have been living abroad in lsrael for the last 12+ years (~40% of my life). I have dual-nationality (lsrael and USA), speak both languages fluently and possess rich-international exposure.

* 7+ years work experience as a Business Analyst in lsrael's hi-tech sector. Diverse experience as a strategy consultant, VC analyst and Product Analyst. I also travelled extensively to Europe as part of my work (1-2 times per month). Solid managerial experience and excellent recommendations to boot.

* Two years of military service in the lsraeli army, where my time was divided between quantitative statistical analysis and guarding West-Bank settlements.

* Strong community involvement/extracurricular: Founded a Non-Profit group that assists Israel Immigrants living overseas - more than 200 paid, active members this year alone. The Group holds many activities including hospital visits, food drives, lectures and prayer gatherings. Im also a regular volunteer at an urban environmental group that helps restore lsraeli towns and city centers. In the past, Ive been a Freelance-writer and have also assisted many startup Companies with Business-Plan strategy and composition.

* BA in English Literature from an Israeli University- GPA of ~3.3 (83 of 100 in lsraeli terms).

* GMAT 620 (Q: 44, V: 32, AWA: 5.5). This absolutely kills me. Ive taken it twice and will consider taking it a third time but I want to apply Rd 1 and have already completed the applications. I wont be eligible to take it again until the end of October. I feel like I need at least another 30 points, if not 50. Time is of the essence.

Goals

I'd like to continue working in Business Strategy since Im good at it and feel I can make a difference. After school, Id like to work in corproate development at a Fortune1000 and assist with internaional strategy policy with regards to partnerships and M&A's. In the Long-term, Id be privy to return to the world of Strategy Consulting given my prior experience and skillset.

Target Schools

I was wondering if I have any chance at these schools (preferably the top three) given my poor GMAT score. Is there any chance the ADCOM's would dismiss my poor verbal score since Im a native English speaker with a literature background, strong essays, etc? Especially since my Quant score is ok...

1. Wharton: (kiss that baby good-bye with my GMAT score :cry: )

2. Yale
3. Duke

4. Darden
5. UNC
6. Emory (one-year program)

Am I reaching here? I keep telling myself that GMAT scores arent everything, especially if you have other differentiators that will catch the ADCOMS eye. Thats what they say, anyway. I keep wondering who that rule really applies to.... :(

Many thanks in advance....

Native,

Well, you certainly have a number of interesting differentiators to throw at them to distract them from the GMAT score. The community stories in particular are strong, and the military and cross-cultural factors are positives worth writing about. That said, I'm not convinced they help you *enough* to overcome the GMAT score at schools 3, 4, 5, and 6. (I think Wharton and Yale are effectively out unless you can get closer to 660, 680.) These 4 schools are an interesting mix, however, in that they are excellent programs that have, at least last year anyway, much more generous admission rates than you would think given their rankings etc. So for that reason, if you really blow them away in your essays (leadership, impact, big vision, personality) one or two of these schools could overlook your GMAT. It would also help if you could point to previous standardized test scores that were out of whack with your grades. In that case, you may be one of those rare birds whom the GMAT doesn't measure. I do notice that your Q is higher than your V, which is not what I was expecting in an English major. So maybe the schools will pick up on this and say, well, his GMAT score where it matters -- the quantitive -- is OK, and he's obviously an articulate guy, so what the hell, let's admit him. It could happen.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2006, 04:12
Thanks Paul, appreciate the feedback. :-D
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2006, 14:15
native wrote:
Thanks Paul, appreciate the feedback. :-D

You're welcome.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter