Joined: 17 Jan 2012
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V48
, given: 0
Older applicant question [#permalink]
17 Jan 2012, 14:22
- White, American male
- Age: 30 (31 as of summer 2012)
- GMAT: 770 (Q49, V48, AWA 6.0)
- GPA: 3.3 from tier 1 public school
- Solid volunteer experience post-undergrad, some undergrad activities
Wharton, Booth, Columbia, Kellogg, NYU, Darden (in order of preference)
I am currently a manager in the strategy & operations (S&O) consulting function of a Big 4 firm (the only one that still has a true consulting function). I transferred into the S&O group from our tech consulting practice in 2009, after teaming with the group on post-merger integration projects for about 1.5 years. MY post-MBA goal is to return to the firm and expand my role in our M&A practice beyond post-merger integration and into M&A strategy, target screening, etc., with a long-term goal of becoming a partner in this practice.
I began planning for an MBA in mid-2010, and took the GMAT in late December of that year. Effective 1/1/2011, my firm suspended its full-time education assistance program, which would have paid for my MBA in full.
Given that change, I considered applying to an EMBA program, which my firm would partially cover. I ultimately decided against an EMBA because my travel schedule (which includes international travel) would make it difficult to consistently attend Friday classes. Additionally, I would like to concentrate on finance, and most EMBA programs offer very limited electives.
As of 1/1/2012, my firm re-instituted the full-time education assistance program from my group. I'm now torn between applying in round 3 this year and waiting until round 1 next year. I understand that the odds of being admitted in round 3 are slim, but my age is also a consideration. I have a pretty valid reason for the late application, but I realize that most spots are simply taken by round 3. Applying to lower-ranked schools is not really an option, as my firm will only pay for certain schools (basically top 15).
Given my age and profile, could it make more sense to apply this year? If I apply this year and am not admitted, is there a disadvantage to being a reapplicant next year?