Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 12:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Older applicant question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V48
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Older applicant question [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2012, 13:22
Demographics:
- White, American male
- GMAT: 770 (Q49, V48, AWA 6.0)
- GPA: 3.3 from tier 1 public school
- Solid volunteer experience post-undergrad, some undergrad activities

Targets:
Wharton, Booth, Columbia, Kellogg, NYU, Darden (in order of preference)

Background:
I am currently a manager in the strategy & operations (S&O) consulting function of a Big 4 firm (the only one that still has a true consulting function). I transferred into the S&O group from our tech consulting practice in 2009, after teaming with the group on post-merger integration projects for about 1.5 years. MY post-MBA goal is to return to the firm and expand my role in our M&A practice beyond post-merger integration and into M&A strategy, target screening, etc., with a long-term goal of becoming a partner in this practice.

Question/Dilemma:
I began planning for an MBA in mid-2010, and took the GMAT in late December of that year. Effective 1/1/2011, my firm suspended its full-time education assistance program, which would have paid for my MBA in full.

Given that change, I considered applying to an EMBA program, which my firm would partially cover. I ultimately decided against an EMBA because my travel schedule (which includes international travel) would make it difficult to consistently attend Friday classes. Additionally, I would like to concentrate on finance, and most EMBA programs offer very limited electives.

As of 1/1/2012, my firm re-instituted the full-time education assistance program from my group. I'm now torn between applying in round 3 this year and waiting until round 1 next year. I understand that the odds of being admitted in round 3 are slim, but my age is also a consideration. I have a pretty valid reason for the late application, but I realize that most spots are simply taken by round 3. Applying to lower-ranked schools is not really an option, as my firm will only pay for certain schools (basically top 15).

Given my age and profile, could it make more sense to apply this year? If I apply this year and am not admitted, is there a disadvantage to being a reapplicant next year?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Older applicant question [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 06:09
Expert's post
I think you have a strong enough application to apply R3 this year. Wharton actually likes older candidates and your age can be a differentiator for schools who are looking right now at a younger class and would like the diversity your profile brings. You are correct that there are fewer seats left, but your proflile is unique enough to stand out in R3---biggest hurdle frankly is caucasian male syndrome, but there should be no reason why you can't get in at least one of your targets in R3 with a well articulated application.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews