Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 14:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Older Applicants Friendly Schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Older Applicants Friendly Schools [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2008, 15:01
Sandy on application and age. :?

Quote:
HBS AND AGE: IF YOU ARE ~28 AND IN BANKING, PE, CONSULTING, OR WORK FOR MNC, YOU GOT PROBLEMS.

HBS has been trending younger for the last 3 years, and now has two programs [one focused on college seniors and other 2+2 focused on JUNIORS] which are geared to get admit kids after two years of work experience, soooo, that is Exhibit A. But their efforts have not stopped there: one of the things I mull over, and quite frankly, mull over and over, is what happened to my own clients in Round 1, and what trends exist in interview invites for Round 2. After trying to figure out surprising results like dings and WL for really strong clients, it hit me, there was a real age bias in that group, they seemed to be 28,29, and over. Military is one exception to this rule,and see below about extradordinary cases. One amazingly powerful statistic was the subset of kids who were reapplicants, and had in fact been interviewed last year: this was a small group, but it turned out to be a DEAD ZONE --none of reapplicant kids 28+ who had been interviewed last year were even interviewed again (except one extraordinary case with bigfoot intervention=accept). Younger reapplicants were successful along historical lines. I then reanalyzed something I usually only ponder momentarily: kids who got in, who surprised me a bit, e.g. had less powerful stats and stories, claimed interview did not go well, etc. Again, not a super large group, BUT THEY WERE ALL 25-26. TWENTY-FIVE IS THE MAGIC NUMBER. HBS will reach for a 25 year old, and turn away quickly from a 28 year old. Dunno what they do w. 27 year olds. And obviously, there are always both EXTRAORDINARY exceptions (older kids w. unique accomplishments, e.g. high govt positions, Rhodes Scholar, etc) and even one or two normal exceptions, but ANYONE trying to figure out HBS interview patterns, or accpet patterns, needs to start with the knowledge that AGE is as impt as any other stat in determining outcome. The fact that most kids on HBS R2 thread do not report age is a real oversight, and I'd be interested if everyone who has received an invite, just posted back w. their age--THIS ALSO IS TRUE AT STANFORD. PERHAPS EVEN MORE SO. As much as Wharton is in the doghouse these days for Hodara-gate, one must give them credit on one issue which is even more important: the give 28+ year olds a fair break, something NOT TRUE at H or S. Sure, 28+ bankers and consultants will continue to get into H and S, there are always exceptions, even normal ones, but the trend to me towards 25 year olds seems very, very strong.

If you did not in to Hor S, it may help to look in a mirror,but if that does not tell you anything, look at your driver's license.

--someone transpost on HBS R2--where this could begin trend of kids who are interviewed posting age as well as stats. I am happy to have this theory tested.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Older Applicants Friendly Schools [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2008, 15:50
sigh... I think my age (30 at matriculation) was probably a big factor in not even getting an interview at S... I needed an extra strong and unique experience (like terry12's, who's 1 year older than me) to overcome it, but I guess I didn't differentiate myself enough. Oh well. Sucks that age is a huge factor, especially since business school is supposed to be about learning from your peers' experiences. Who knows what H and S are trying to do these days.

I'll be very happy learning from my fellow "older" peers at Haas (or Kellogg) this fall. :)

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Current Student
Schools: Fuqua, Anderson, Johnson, Ross
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Older Applicants Friendly Schools [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2008, 16:08
30 year old Desi techies as a rule DO NOT GET INTO H OR S.
You are getting near EMBA territory.

This is from another of his responses. Now substitute 'Desi' with say 'Cambodian' & even Sandy would agree that at least an interview is assured. That's diversity - H/S style :x

p.s.
Desi = Indian
Also, I have no axe to grind against Cambodians. Might have as well been Rwandan or Icelandic.
Assuming the same 7xx score, blue chip exp, good gpa etc.
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Older Applicants Friendly Schools [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2008, 19:06
Kids? Seriously? We're talking about 30-year-olds. They have kids themselves.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Older Applicants Friendly Schools [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2008, 21:16
aaudetat wrote:

Well, to be fair, Sandy does appear to be 177.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Older Applicants Friendly Schools [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2008, 21:59
aaudetat wrote:

ahh, perspective.
Maturity is certainly not proportional to age, (I could be the poster boy for that statement), but 25 w/ 2 years work ex is very different from the grizzled veteran you will morph into 10 - 15 years down the road. Just ask Pete Townshend.
Help!
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Older Applicants Friendly Schools [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2008, 13:02
helpslip wrote:
aaudetat wrote:

ahh, perspective.
Maturity is certainly not proportional to age, (I could be the poster boy for that statement), but 25 w/ 2 years work ex is very different from the grizzled veteran you will morph into 10 - 15 years down the road. Just ask Pete Townshend.
Help!

by that logic i can call anyone over 40 "elderly." That could be my perspective.
Current Student
Schools: Tuck Class of 2013

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Older Applicants Friendly Schools [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 13:51
This tread is over 2 years old, but I believe it is still a hot topic.

From the top 15, which schools are older friendly ? It is clear that Harvard and Stanford are not.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Older Applicants Friendly Schools [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 18:56
Duke Fuqua is relatively old-friendly, maybe followed closely by Michigan and Kellogg. Wharton used to be old-friendly as well but has since moved toward an average age of 27 based on their latest class 2012 profile.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.41

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Older Applicants Friendly Schools [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 19:36
I know that the original posters were mentioning that a graduate degree or military service are typically discounted from one's age (i.e., 30 year old who is in the military for 2 years may be considered among the 28 year olds as far as work experience goes). Does this hold true for people that worked in the Peace Corps for 2 years? For example, someone that really didn't start their career until say 24 or 25 because during college they were in the Peace Corp for 2 years working in a 3rd world country. I would love to get any info from anyone that has knowledge on the subject.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Older Applicants Friendly Schools [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 22:49
Haas is very older applicant friendly. I think roughly 15-20% of the class is over 30.

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Intern
Intern

Re: Older Applicants Friendly Schools [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 07:41
CaliCpa wrote:
I know that the original posters were mentioning that a graduate degree or military service are typically discounted from one's age (i.e., 30 year old who is in the military for 2 years may be considered among the 28 year olds as far as work experience goes). Does this hold true for people that worked in the Peace Corps for 2 years? For example, someone that really didn't start their career until say 24 or 25 because during college they were in the Peace Corp for 2 years working in a 3rd world country. I would love to get any info from anyone that has knowledge on the subject.

Is this applicable for all schools or only for older applicant friendly school? I have an advanced degree and will be 31 by the time I apply.However, I was told that age is not a discriminating factor.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg (Accepted), Wharton (Interviewed)
WE 1: Manager in Valuation/IB

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Older Applicants Friendly Schools [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 13:53
I was told that Kellogg, Wharton, and Haas are friendlier to older applicants. I'm 31, in finance, and I interviewed at Chicago, Kellogg, and Wharton (didn't apply to Haas). I also applied to H/S in round 1 and got dinged w/o interview (though my essays were significantly weaker).

Judging from age profiles, H/S admits very few students over the age of 29, and those admitted tend to have unique career paths.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Older Applicants Friendly Schools [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 14:42
Age concern was an issue for me. I think some BSchools value experience and seasoning more. Ross, Kellogg, Fuqua, Insead, maybe Wharton
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Older Applicants Friendly Schools [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2011, 07:12
Glad I found this thread...I am a bit concerned that a number of b-schools prefer younger candidates to older ones (like myself). I also hear that some programs and campuses are more friendly toward older guys than others -- is there any rankings of sorts of mba programs based on whether they are "older friendly"?

Also, I would hate to be stuck in a program with a bunch of 24 year old over-achievers stressing about home work and assignments as if it were the end of the world.
Intern
Intern

Re: Older Applicants Friendly Schools [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2013, 10:34
I just discovered this thread. Excellent discussion here. As an older re-applicant (32 years old), this topic has been on my mind a lot. Unfortunately, one's age is something that cannot be undone, so it's totally out of my hands. I know HBS/Stanford are out; I wonder to what extent Wharton/sloan/Columbia/booth/Kellogg are open to those in the 30+ age range but are NOT ex-military/doctors/entrepreneurs.

http://lastchancemba.blogspot.com
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 400 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Older Applicants Friendly Schools [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2013, 11:20
LastChanceMBA wrote:
I just discovered this thread. Excellent discussion here. As an older re-applicant (32 years old), this topic has been on my mind a lot. Unfortunately, one's age is something that cannot be undone, so it's totally out of my hands. I know HBS/Stanford are out; I wonder to what extent Wharton/sloan/Columbia/booth/Kellogg are open to those in the 30+ age range but are NOT ex-military/doctors/entrepreneurs.

http://lastchancemba.blogspot.com

Very open depending on what you're bringing to the table and if you can show why a full-time MBA is the next logical step in your career. Also I know several Stanford students who are 30+ and not ex military, entrepreneurs, or doctors, etc. I think it's easy for people to blame not getting an admit on age instead of just accepting that even if they were younger they still wouldn't have gotten into H or S.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Non-Human User
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Older Applicants Friendly Schools [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2014, 17:49
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Older Applicants Friendly Schools   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2014, 17:49