Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 19:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: RISES
Joined: 07 May 2010
Posts: 107
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 11:23
Jordanhendrix,

I have an offer from BU's program with 80% scholarship and have Olin's full scholarship.
Can you please enlighten us with your wisdom on what parameters Olin has an edge over BU (considering BU is nicely placed at Boston)?

I am specifically targeting IT consulting role post MBA.
I could have even PMed but your response will be useful for the rest of the folks here.
_________________

I don't know if getting everything I want would make me happy, but the opposite is not working at all!!

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 07 May 2010
Posts: 731
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 11:32
neosumit wrote:
Jordanhendrix,

I have an offer from BU's program with 80% scholarship and have Olin's full scholarship.
Can you please enlighten us with your wisdom on what parameters Olin has an edge over BU (considering BU is nicely placed at Boston)?

I am specifically targeting IT consulting role post MBA.
I could have even PMed but your response will be useful for the rest of the folks here.


sure, IT insulting is ok at Olin, we had an intern at IBM and Accenture last year. IT isn't usually a big field post MBA at Olin.
With a full ride from olin and 80% from Bu you have a hard choice my friend, Yes BU is in boston but looking quickly at employment reports you can see that people don't get the TOP boston area jobs with MIT and HBS right down the street. That said, IT isn't as selective as some other fields. Olin does not have a concentration on IT consulting, not sure if BU would.

any specific questions?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Affiliations: The Earth organization, India
Joined: 25 Dec 2010
Posts: 195
WE 1: SAP consultant-IT 2 years
WE 2: Entrepreneur-family business 2 years
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 22:23
jordanhendrix wrote:

any specific questions?


JH- IS Olin a place to apply in R2 for SCM/Operations considering I already have an admit with full tuition waiver at the top ranked SCM at Smeal ?

My school list was :
R1:
1>ISB-actually R2 nor R1 i/v
2>Kelley-i/v
3>Smeal-admit-$$$$

R2:
1>Tepper - applying
2>Olin - thinking :roll:

Any inputs will be awesome.
_________________

Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: RISES
Joined: 07 May 2010
Posts: 107
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 04:08
jordanhendrix wrote:
neosumit wrote:
Jordanhendrix,

I have an offer from BU's program with 80% scholarship and have Olin's full scholarship.
Can you please enlighten us with your wisdom on what parameters Olin has an edge over BU (considering BU is nicely placed at Boston)?

I am specifically targeting IT consulting role post MBA.
I could have even PMed but your response will be useful for the rest of the folks here.


sure, IT insulting is ok at Olin, we had an intern at IBM and Accenture last year. IT isn't usually a big field post MBA at Olin.
With a full ride from olin and 80% from Bu you have a hard choice my friend, Yes BU is in boston but looking quickly at employment reports you can see that people don't get the TOP boston area jobs with MIT and HBS right down the street. That said, IT isn't as selective as some other fields. Olin does not have a concentration on IT consulting, not sure if BU would.

any specific questions?


Jordan,

Olin seems to a classic Business school while BU seems more sort of a Business School which specializes much more on the technology part of business. I could feel the difference during my interview itself.

Olin is much more respected by the students while BU has somehow managed to form good rapport with the recruiters because of its fantastic location.

I am in a really tough spot to decide between the two. BU does not place like MIT and HBS and that's the reason we are having this discussion.
Just that BU's internship and employment reports tend to make me believe that I will be able to leverage on my technology background a bit more at BU. But I don't want myself to be surrounded by technologists in my MBA class and this is where Olin fits the bill.

How much I wish to be able to fly to US and spend a day or two in both campuses and decide on what I really want. But the cost of ticket from India is equal to the initial deposit amount at either of these schools!!

Maybe I will need someone with Skype on their ipad to walk me through at both the campuses to get a feel of where I want to be in the end..:)).
_________________

I don't know if getting everything I want would make me happy, but the opposite is not working at all!!

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 07 May 2010
Posts: 731
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 13:46
bblast wrote:
jordanhendrix wrote:

any specific questions?


JH- IS Olin a place to apply in R2 for SCM/Operations considering I already have an admit with full tuition waiver at the top ranked SCM at Smeal ?

My school list was :
R1:
1>ISB-actually R2 nor R1 i/v
2>Kelley-i/v
3>Smeal-admit-$$$$

R2:
1>Tepper - applying
2>Olin - thinking :roll:

Any inputs will be awesome.


Penn state is a great school for SCM, that said, so is Olin. I really don't know what to tell you, olin will open more doors if for whatever reason you decide to switch to a more traditional field once admitted. I say if you have desire you should apply, its so easy to (for Olin at least) see what they offer and make the decision then. If its between applying and not, just toss it in and see what happens
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 07 May 2010
Posts: 731
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 13:48
neosumit wrote:
jordanhendrix wrote:
neosumit wrote:
Jordanhendrix,

I have an offer from BU's program with 80% scholarship and have Olin's full scholarship.
Can you please enlighten us with your wisdom on what parameters Olin has an edge over BU (considering BU is nicely placed at Boston)?

I am specifically targeting IT consulting role post MBA.
I could have even PMed but your response will be useful for the rest of the folks here.


sure, IT insulting is ok at Olin, we had an intern at IBM and Accenture last year. IT isn't usually a big field post MBA at Olin.
With a full ride from olin and 80% from Bu you have a hard choice my friend, Yes BU is in boston but looking quickly at employment reports you can see that people don't get the TOP boston area jobs with MIT and HBS right down the street. That said, IT isn't as selective as some other fields. Olin does not have a concentration on IT consulting, not sure if BU would.

any specific questions?


Jordan,

Olin seems to a classic Business school while BU seems more sort of a Business School which specializes much more on the technology part of business. I could feel the difference during my interview itself.

Olin is much more respected by the students while BU has somehow managed to form good rapport with the recruiters because of its fantastic location.

I am in a really tough spot to decide between the two. BU does not place like MIT and HBS and that's the reason we are having this discussion.
Just that BU's internship and employment reports tend to make me believe that I will be able to leverage on my technology background a bit more at BU. But I don't want myself to be surrounded by technologists in my MBA class and this is where Olin fits the bill.

How much I wish to be able to fly to US and spend a day or two in both campuses and decide on what I really want. But the cost of ticket from India is equal to the initial deposit amount at either of these schools!!

Maybe I will need someone with Skype on their ipad to walk me through at both the campuses to get a feel of where I want to be in the end..:)).


Its gonna be tough to visit and ultimately not like the true program day to day. There is not shortage of tech guys here, we have TONS of engineers and people from/interested in tech. Olin is perhaps more well rounded than BU but i can't say for certain. We have a lot of people from different backgrounds all going into different fields.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Affiliations: The Earth organization, India
Joined: 25 Dec 2010
Posts: 195
WE 1: SAP consultant-IT 2 years
WE 2: Entrepreneur-family business 2 years
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 21:46
awesome inputs JH- you are right its quite easy for me to apply to olin especially after 4 apps. Just need to work a little on the Olin tailored goal essay. And the Olin app is really friendly otherwise - the best in the world perhaps.
_________________

Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

Intern
Intern
Joined: 07 Nov 2011
Posts: 10
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 2.6
WE: General Management (Transportation)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 10:24
Received admissions call today from the Dean of Admissions. Quick call - didn't mention anything about scholarship, I guess though from what I'm reading that information comes in the admissions packet?
Intern
Intern
Status: She was my last high !!
Joined: 20 Jul 2011
Posts: 40
Location: India
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 11:26
.
_________________

It seems what's left of my human side,
Is slowly changing in me...


Last edited by devilmaycry2709 on 23 Mar 2013, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 07 Nov 2011
Posts: 10
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 2.6
WE: General Management (Transportation)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 20:18
Submitted around 11/15, interviewed about a week ago.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: RISES
Joined: 07 May 2010
Posts: 107
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 22:35
devilmaycry2709 wrote:
Congrats Nibbler :)
Can u tell us...when did u submit the app & when were u interviewed ??

Nibbler wrote:
Received admissions call today from the Dean of Admissions. Quick call - didn't mention anything about scholarship, I guess though from what I'm reading that information comes in the admissions packet?


Mate,

I fail to recollect but I assume you already have some admits. Just wanted to check if Olin lies in your 'safe' category of schools?

I assume with your great GMAT, you should get a number of interview invites at least.
I wish you all the best!!
_________________

I don't know if getting everything I want would make me happy, but the opposite is not working at all!!

Intern
Intern
Status: She was my last high !!
Joined: 20 Jul 2011
Posts: 40
Location: India
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2011, 03:54
.
_________________

It seems what's left of my human side,
Is slowly changing in me...


Last edited by devilmaycry2709 on 23 Mar 2013, 07:40, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 07 Nov 2011
Posts: 10
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 2.6
WE: General Management (Transportation)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2011, 09:27
I have not yet heard back from the other schools in my profile. Two other schools that I've applied to and heard back from not on this board are Weatherhead School at Case Western Reserve (75% tuition scholarship) and Neeley School at TCU (Full scholarship + 5k/year stipend).

So far I have not applied to any top 15 schools in part due to low GPA and need for financial aid.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 07 May 2010
Posts: 731
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2011, 15:18
Nibbler wrote:
Received admissions call today from the Dean of Admissions. Quick call - didn't mention anything about scholarship, I guess though from what I'm reading that information comes in the admissions packet?

yea i found out about scholarships in the packet
Intern
Intern
Joined: 07 Nov 2011
Posts: 10
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 2.6
WE: General Management (Transportation)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2011, 20:57
Opened up the packet this evening - no scholarship information in it so I assume I have not been offered a scholarship.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 07 May 2010
Posts: 731
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2011, 21:14
Nibbler wrote:
Opened up the packet this evening - no scholarship information in it so I assume I have not been offered a scholarship.


unfortunately no,
that said i want to tell you my story, i got nothing in the packet. I then asked for an extension and was then offered a half scholarship. I believe that the school is paying money to people with high gmats as they make a push to double class size (without losing quality) and move into a new building for MBAs exclusively. Ive heard many stories of students ask for money and getting it! I doubt you could pull this off at most other school but Olin has money, if you have good numbers i think its ok to say that you wanna go but its not feasible (if you have $$$ from another school mention it) and see what they are willing to do. Its still R1 so the money is there for sure.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 23 Nov 2011
Posts: 27
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 17:26
Admitted!.. received an email from Evan :)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: RISES
Joined: 07 May 2010
Posts: 107
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 20:59
By what time the new building is going to come up?

Is Olin targetting to double the class size starting fall 2012?

Posted from my mobile device Image
_________________

I don't know if getting everything I want would make me happy, but the opposite is not working at all!!

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 07 May 2010
Posts: 731
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 21:44
neosumit wrote:
By what time the new building is going to come up?

Is Olin targetting to double the class size starting fall 2012?

Posted from my mobile device Image


THe new building will be completed in two years, the next incoming class will be in there for their second year.
I can't speak officially to the class doubling that soon but my guess is it probably going to happen slowly over the next 5-7 years after the move.
Olin will try to attract a larger class size without a drop in quality...that can't happen in a couple of years
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 139
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 40

Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2011, 02:30
I have a question: do professors usually list their real business experiences in their resumes or profiles?
I looked at some resumes of Olin's professors. There are only teaching experiences.
Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants   [#permalink] 23 Dec 2011, 02:30
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Popular new posts 8 Washington Foster 2012 - Calling All Applicants cano 98 07 Sep 2011, 07:57
Popular new posts 2 Experts publish their posts in the topic George Washington University 2013 - Calling All Applicants! goffree 23 13 Dec 2012, 08:01
Moved topic 5 Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants tstucky 120 06 Sep 2011, 11:56
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7    Next  [ 121 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.