Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 13:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 01:07
avenkatesh007 wrote:
Can somebody pls tell me what is the min GMAT score preffered for a 3 yrs exp person working in IT.

That's a very difficult question to answer. Depends on the rest of your profile.

Indians tend to be the most competitive pool of applicants with regards to GMAT.
Olin received 70% of it's applications from International applicants and I would assume that Indians are the biggest chunk in that group.
Olin is generous to not charge any application fee and that is probably one of the main reason.

So I will think that anything beyond 700 will help you to be competitive in any of the top 30 ranked programs (as per latest US News ranking).

I don't know if getting everything I want would make me happy, but the opposite is not working at all!!

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: The Earth organization, India
WE 1: SAP consultant-IT 2 years
WE 2: Entrepreneur-family business 2 years
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 05:51
neosumit wrote:
avenkatesh007 wrote:
Can somebody pls tell me what is the min GMAT score preffered for a 3 yrs exp person working in IT.

That's a very difficult question to answer. Depends on the rest of your profile.

Indians tend to be the most competitive pool of applicants with regards to GMAT.
Olin received 70% of it's applications from International applicants and I would assume that Indians are the biggest chunk in that group.
Olin is generous to not charge any application fee and that is probably one of the main reason.

So I will think that anything beyond 700 will help you to be competitive in any of the top 30 ranked programs (as per latest US News ranking).

I have a similar offer from Smeal-SCM and I think at this point of time an admit with tuition waiver would be the wisest investment in a US mba.

Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 10:06
bblast wrote:
but how could u apply to a school where u dnt know about the stregth of the curriculum in an area(operations/scm). :roll:

Kelley is a marketing school but it has a great SCM curriculum and greater SCM careers. So I applied there. I applied to Smeal as its one of the top 5 in SCM.

Need a similar reason to apply to Olin - I agree its a great school brand wise and otherwise-but looking for an insider's perspective for my preferred concentration.

@jordanhendrix- kindly help

Hey, so I can only speak for Olin here, I came here over kelley ultimately for a few main reasons:
Money
Location is more city like than Bloomington ( a true cow town)
The vibe I got when visiting was different, Olin seemed to be a place where we still had bright students who are very collegial. I was right.

As far as SCM goes ew are strong in that area because of an amazing professor (taught at booth for years) and our MS in SCM, both of those things bring lots of companies looking for SC interns/fulltimes. Companies include Boeing, Toyota, Monsanto, Nestle, some boutique consultancies and even delloite operations. I really can't say if Kelley id better or not.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 11:23
Jordanhendrix,

I have an offer from BU's program with 80% scholarship and have Olin's full scholarship.
Can you please enlighten us with your wisdom on what parameters Olin has an edge over BU (considering BU is nicely placed at Boston)?

I am specifically targeting IT consulting role post MBA.
I could have even PMed but your response will be useful for the rest of the folks here.

I don't know if getting everything I want would make me happy, but the opposite is not working at all!!

Current Student

Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 11:32
neosumit wrote:
Jordanhendrix,

I have an offer from BU's program with 80% scholarship and have Olin's full scholarship.
Can you please enlighten us with your wisdom on what parameters Olin has an edge over BU (considering BU is nicely placed at Boston)?

I could have even PMed but your response will be useful for the rest of the folks here.

sure, IT insulting is ok at Olin, we had an intern at IBM and Accenture last year. IT isn't usually a big field post MBA at Olin.
With a full ride from olin and 80% from Bu you have a hard choice my friend, Yes BU is in boston but looking quickly at employment reports you can see that people don't get the TOP boston area jobs with MIT and HBS right down the street. That said, IT isn't as selective as some other fields. Olin does not have a concentration on IT consulting, not sure if BU would.

any specific questions?

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 22:23
jordanhendrix wrote:

any specific questions?

JH- IS Olin a place to apply in R2 for SCM/Operations considering I already have an admit with full tuition waiver at the top ranked SCM at Smeal ?

My school list was :
R1:
1>ISB-actually R2 nor R1 i/v
2>Kelley-i/v
3>Smeal-admit-$$$$

R2:
1>Tepper - applying
2>Olin - thinking :roll:

Any inputs will be awesome.

Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50

Manager
Manager

Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 04:08
jordanhendrix wrote:
neosumit wrote:
Jordanhendrix,

sure, IT insulting is ok at Olin, we had an intern at IBM and Accenture last year. IT isn't usually a big field post MBA at Olin.
With a full ride from olin and 80% from Bu you have a hard choice my friend, Yes BU is in boston but looking quickly at employment reports you can see that people don't get the TOP boston area jobs with MIT and HBS right down the street. That said, IT isn't as selective as some other fields. Olin does not have a concentration on IT consulting, not sure if BU would.

any specific questions?

Jordan,

Olin seems to a classic Business school while BU seems more sort of a Business School which specializes much more on the technology part of business. I could feel the difference during my interview itself.

Olin is much more respected by the students while BU has somehow managed to form good rapport with the recruiters because of its fantastic location.

I am in a really tough spot to decide between the two. BU does not place like MIT and HBS and that's the reason we are having this discussion.
Just that BU's internship and employment reports tend to make me believe that I will be able to leverage on my technology background a bit more at BU. But I don't want myself to be surrounded by technologists in my MBA class and this is where Olin fits the bill.

How much I wish to be able to fly to US and spend a day or two in both campuses and decide on what I really want. But the cost of ticket from India is equal to the initial deposit amount at either of these schools!!

Maybe I will need someone with Skype on their ipad to walk me through at both the campuses to get a feel of where I want to be in the end..:)).

Current Student

Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 13:46
bblast wrote:
jordanhendrix wrote:

any specific questions?

JH- IS Olin a place to apply in R2 for SCM/Operations considering I already have an admit with full tuition waiver at the top ranked SCM at Smeal ?

My school list was :
R1:
1>ISB-actually R2 nor R1 i/v
2>Kelley-i/v
3>Smeal-admit-$$$$

R2:
1>Tepper - applying
2>Olin - thinking :roll:

Any inputs will be awesome.

Penn state is a great school for SCM, that said, so is Olin. I really don't know what to tell you, olin will open more doors if for whatever reason you decide to switch to a more traditional field once admitted. I say if you have desire you should apply, its so easy to (for Olin at least) see what they offer and make the decision then. If its between applying and not, just toss it in and see what happens

Current Student

Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 13:48
neosumit wrote:
jordanhendrix wrote:
neosumit wrote:
Jordanhendrix,

any specific questions?

Jordan,

Olin seems to a classic Business school while BU seems more sort of a Business School which specializes much more on the technology part of business. I could feel the difference during my interview itself.

Olin is much more respected by the students while BU has somehow managed to form good rapport with the recruiters because of its fantastic location.

I am in a really tough spot to decide between the two. BU does not place like MIT and HBS and that's the reason we are having this discussion.
Just that BU's internship and employment reports tend to make me believe that I will be able to leverage on my technology background a bit more at BU. But I don't want myself to be surrounded by technologists in my MBA class and this is where Olin fits the bill.

How much I wish to be able to fly to US and spend a day or two in both campuses and decide on what I really want. But the cost of ticket from India is equal to the initial deposit amount at either of these schools!!

Maybe I will need someone with Skype on their ipad to walk me through at both the campuses to get a feel of where I want to be in the end..:)).

Its gonna be tough to visit and ultimately not like the true program day to day. There is not shortage of tech guys here, we have TONS of engineers and people from/interested in tech. Olin is perhaps more well rounded than BU but i can't say for certain. We have a lot of people from different backgrounds all going into different fields.

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 21:46
awesome inputs JH- you are right its quite easy for me to apply to olin especially after 4 apps. Just need to work a little on the Olin tailored goal essay. And the Olin app is really friendly otherwise - the best in the world perhaps.

Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 2.6
WE: General Management (Transportation)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 10:24
Received admissions call today from the Dean of Admissions. Quick call - didn't mention anything about scholarship, I guess though from what I'm reading that information comes in the admissions packet?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 11:26

It seems what's left of my human side,
Is slowly changing in me...

Last edited by devilmaycry2709 on 23 Mar 2013, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 20:18
Submitted around 11/15, interviewed about a week ago.
Manager
Manager

Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 22:35
devilmaycry2709 wrote:
Congrats Nibbler :)
Can u tell us...when did u submit the app & when were u interviewed ??

Nibbler wrote:
Received admissions call today from the Dean of Admissions. Quick call - didn't mention anything about scholarship, I guess though from what I'm reading that information comes in the admissions packet?

Mate,

I fail to recollect but I assume you already have some admits. Just wanted to check if Olin lies in your 'safe' category of schools?

I assume with your great GMAT, you should get a number of interview invites at least.
I wish you all the best!!

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2011, 03:54

It seems what's left of my human side,
Is slowly changing in me...

Last edited by devilmaycry2709 on 23 Mar 2013, 07:40, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2011, 09:27
I have not yet heard back from the other schools in my profile. Two other schools that I've applied to and heard back from not on this board are Weatherhead School at Case Western Reserve (75% tuition scholarship) and Neeley School at TCU (Full scholarship + 5k/year stipend).

So far I have not applied to any top 15 schools in part due to low GPA and need for financial aid.
Current Student

Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2011, 15:18
Nibbler wrote:

yea i found out about scholarships in the packet

Intern
Intern

Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2011, 20:57
Opened up the packet this evening - no scholarship information in it so I assume I have not been offered a scholarship.
Current Student

Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2011, 21:14
Nibbler wrote:
Opened up the packet this evening - no scholarship information in it so I assume I have not been offered a scholarship.

unfortunately no,
that said i want to tell you my story, i got nothing in the packet. I then asked for an extension and was then offered a half scholarship. I believe that the school is paying money to people with high gmats as they make a push to double class size (without losing quality) and move into a new building for MBAs exclusively. Ive heard many stories of students ask for money and getting it! I doubt you could pull this off at most other school but Olin has money, if you have good numbers i think its ok to say that you wanna go but its not feasible (if you have $$$ from another school mention it) and see what they are willing to do. Its still R1 so the money is there for sure.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 17:26
Admitted!.. received an email from Evan :)
Re: Olin 2012 - Calling all Washington University Applicants   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2011, 17:26