On a business trip, 30 percent of 60 sales representatives will be giv : GMAT Problem Solving (PS)
Check GMAT Club App Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases http://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 10 Dec 2016, 16:38
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

On a business trip, 30 percent of 60 sales representatives will be giv

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Apr 2010
Posts: 162
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 31

On a business trip, 30 percent of 60 sales representatives will be giv [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2011, 15:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

88% (02:11) correct 13% (00:00) wrong based on 8 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

On a business trip, 30 percent of 60 sales representatives will be given accommodations at Hotel XYZ and the remaining 70 percent will be given accommodations at Hotel ABC. However, 55 percent of the sales representatives prefer to stay at Hotel XYZ and 45 percent prefer to stay at Hotel ABC. What is the highest possible number of sales representatives NOT given accommodations at the hotel they prefer?


A) 51
B) 52
C) 53
D) 54
E) 55
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Consider me giving KUDOS, if you find my post helpful.
If at first you don't succeed, you're running about average. ~Anonymous

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2011
Posts: 757
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 42

Re: On a business trip, 30 percent of 60 sales representatives will be giv [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2011, 16:14
30% of 60 will be accommodated at XYZ = 18
70% of 60 will be accommodated at ABC = 42

55% of 60 prefer XYZ = 33
45% of 60 prefer ABC = 27


we were asked to find number of maximum possible people who were accommodated at hotels they dont prefer,

So for 18 XYZ accommodations , we can choose 18 ABC preferring people (so xyz is filled up) Here 18 were given to people who dont prefer XYZ
for 42 ABC accommodations, we can choose 33 ABC preferring people and rest to ABC. Here 33 were given to people who dont prefer ABC.

So total people who were accommodated at hotel they dont prefer = 18+33 = 51

So answer is A.






bhandariavi wrote:
On a business trip, 30 percent of 60 sales representatives will be given accommodations at Hotel XYZ and the remaining 70 percent will be given accommodations at Hotel ABC. However, 55 percent of the sales representatives prefer to stay at Hotel XYZ and 45 percent prefer to stay at Hotel ABC. What is the highest possible number of sales representatives NOT given accommodations at the hotel they prefer?


A) 51
B) 52
C) 53
D) 54
E ) 55

I got 42 but the answer is ....
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Apr 2010
Posts: 162
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 31

Re: On a business trip, 30 percent of 60 sales representatives will be giv [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2011, 16:52
Thanks Spidy001 that is helpful.
I calculated it using percentage figures alone 85% * 65 / 100 = 51
Thanks for the idea.
_________________

Consider me giving KUDOS, if you find my post helpful.
If at first you don't succeed, you're running about average. ~Anonymous

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Nov 2010
Posts: 1672
Location: United States (IN)
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 507 [0], given: 36

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: On a business trip, 30 percent of 60 sales representatives will be giv [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2011, 17:51
30/100 * 60 = 18 will be at XYZ

and the 42 will be at ABC

So Max # of representatives NOT given accommodations at the hotel they prefer = Total # of Rep - MIN # of representatives given accommodations at the hotel they prefer

So, all the 55% of rep who want to stay at XYZ can be moved to hotel ABC

and out of the 45% who want to stay in ABC, only 15% will be there and the remaining ones (45-15 = 30%) in hotel XYZ.


So total 85% are not give hotels of their preferences

=> 85/100 * 60 = 5100/100 = 51

Answer - A
_________________

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Re: On a business trip, 30 percent of 60 sales representatives will be giv   [#permalink] 20 Mar 2011, 17:51
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic What percent of 60 is 80? Bunuel 2 10 Jan 2016, 07:23
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic 150 is what percent of 30 ? Bunuel 7 20 Aug 2012, 02:01
18 Experts publish their posts in the topic On a business trip, 30 percent of 60 sales representatives will be zisis 7 29 Aug 2010, 05:12
155 Experts publish their posts in the topic During a trip, Francine traveled x percent of the total vksunder 48 02 Mar 2009, 16:27
21 Experts publish their posts in the topic At Company X senior sales representatives visit the home chan4312 16 06 Aug 2008, 10:48
Display posts from previous: Sort by

On a business trip, 30 percent of 60 sales representatives will be giv

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.