Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 06:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

On a certain tour, half of the men are married, and the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
On a certain tour, half of the men are married, and the [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 11:52
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
On a certain tour, half of the men are married, and the wives of 9/10 of them are also on the tour.
If there are 3 more women on the tour than men, what is the least possible number of people who could be on the tour?

(A) 19
(B) 22
(C) 23
(D) 43
(E) 52
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: PS: Tour [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 12:35
Quote:
On a certain tour, half of the men are married, and the wives of 9/10 of them are also on the tour.
If there are 3 more women on the tour than men, what is the least possible number of people who could be on the tour?

It’s D.

The key to solution is the fact that the number of man (m) on the tour must be an integer :)

So, m/2 should be an integer and also m/2*(1/10) should be an integer. The latter translates to condition that m/20 is an integer. The least possible number that satisfies this condition is 20. So, the number of women is 20+3 = 23 and the total number of people on the tour is 20+23=43.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: PS: Tour [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 13:48
gmatcrook wrote:

(A) 19
(B) 22
(C) 23
(D) 43
(E) 52

I get D.

M/2. Then we have 9M/20 for number of wives.

M has to be 20.

Thus W = M+3 --> 23.

23+20 =43.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: PS: Tour [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 14:01
I also get D for similar reason to the BJ Penn fan ;)

if 50% of the men are married and 9/10 [of those, or 45% of the total] are with their wives, that leaves 5% of the men that are alone. If that 5% has to represent an integer, then 5% = 1 would be the lowest. So then the 100% of the men would be 100%/5% = 20. And if there are 3 more women there than men, then there has to be 23 women, so 20+23 = 43.

SIDE NOTE: This was my 400th post!

gmatcrook wrote:

(A) 19
(B) 22
(C) 23
(D) 43
(E) 52

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: PS: Tour [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 23:15
I'm a little confused. Can someone help me understand the reasoning? The consensus is that the answer is D and there are 20 men. But if there are 20 men, then half are married --> 10 are married. of those, 9/10 of them are with their wives, so there are 9 wives. Wouldn't that be 20 men and 9 women = 29 people total??

Actually, I don't understand how there could be more women than men at all if only a fraction of the men have their wives along with them.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

Re: PS: Tour [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2008, 02:05
The Q stem doesnt limit the number of women - re read the stem!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: PS: Tour [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2008, 03:00
gmatcrook wrote:
On a certain tour, half of the men are married, and the wives of 9/10 of them are also on the tour. If there are 3 more women on the tour than men, what is the least possible number of people who could be on the tour?

(A) 19
(B) 22
(C) 23
(D) 43
(E) 52

let 2x be the total number of men and y be the number of women that comprises the total group. Now as per the question : y = 2x+3
also we know that x *90% of men are with their wives...so 5 % of men are alone. now the least possible number of men without their wives will be 1
accordinly if 5% of the men are represented by 1 then total number of men would be 20
accordingly the number of women will be 20+3 =23

therefore the least number of people on tour will be 20+23 = 43
so D should be the answer
what is the OA for this

The world is continuous, but the mind is discrete

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: PS: Tour [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2008, 04:50
iamcartic wrote:
The Q stem doesnt limit the number of women - re read the stem!!

Actually, the question stem does limit the number of women on the tour. "...there are 3 more women on the tour than men..." Besides, we're not concerned with how many women there could be on the tour, the question specifically asks for the least possible so the fact that we don't know the exact total, or what the possibilities are for the maximum number, is irrelevant.

gmatcrook wrote:
On a certain tour, half of the men are married, and the wives of 9/10 of them are also on the tour. If there are 3 more women on the tour than men, what is the least possible number of people who could be on the tour?

(A) 19
(B) 22
(C) 23
(D) 43
(E) 52

J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Instructor
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

Re: PS: Tour [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2008, 04:56
timothyhuang wrote:
I'm a little confused. Can someone help me understand the reasoning? The consensus is that the answer is D and there are 20 men. But if there are 20 men, then half are married --> 10 are married. of those, 9/10 of them are with their wives, so there are 9 wives. Wouldn't that be 20 men and 9 women = 29 people total??

Actually, I don't understand how there could be more women than men at all if only a fraction of the men have their wives along with them.

Some women choose not to marry!
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: PS: Tour [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2008, 05:04
kevincan wrote:
timothyhuang wrote:

Some women choose not to marry!

Single women can go on trips too!

J Allen Morris

Re: PS: Tour   [#permalink] 19 Jun 2008, 05:04