Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 06:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

On a certain transatlantic crossing, 20 percent of a ship's

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Aug 2005
Posts: 251
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

On a certain transatlantic crossing, 20 percent of a ship's [#permalink] New post 06 May 2006, 03:51
On a certain transatlantic crossing, 20 percent of a ship's passengers held round-trip tickets and also took their cars abroad the ship. If 60 percent of the passengers with round-trip tickets did not take their cars abroad the ship, what percent of the ship's passengers held round-trip tickets?

33.3%
40%
50%
60%
66.6%
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Posts: 1351
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: Transatlantic crossing [#permalink] New post 16 May 2006, 18:37
getzgetzu wrote:
On a certain transatlantic crossing, 20 percent of a ship's passengers held round-trip tickets and also took their cars abroad the ship. If 60 percent of the passengers with round-trip tickets did not take their cars abroad the ship, what percent of the ship's passengers held round-trip tickets?

33.3%
40%
50%
60%
66.6%


= 20%/(1-0.6)=50%
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 May 2006
Posts: 186
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 16 May 2006, 22:46
Can you please explain how did you arrive to the answer.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 16 Aug 2005
Posts: 950
Location: France
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 17 May 2006, 02:42
ok...umm..let there be 100x all passengers.

Then 20x have round trip tickets and taking cars.

Now if 60% of passengers with round-trip tickets did not take cars, then the remaining 40% must have.

That 40% with cars is 20x
Hence, the remaining % (60% - without cars) = 30x

%=(20x+30x)/100x * 100 = 50%
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 May 2006
Posts: 186
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 17 May 2006, 04:23
Frankly speaking i dint understand the language of this question. Please help me in understanding the same.

It says
"20 percent of a ship's passengers held round-trip tickets and also took their cars abroad the ship"

which means "20% of the total has round-trip ticket + cars"

I think this sentence should have been phrased in a much more clear way. Is this the way questions are phrased in GMAT also????
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 16 Aug 2005
Posts: 950
Location: France
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 17 May 2006, 04:53
What you have to do is take the following 2 statements independently and not relate them to one another:

1. 20 percent of a ship's passengers held round-trip tickets and also took their cars abroad the ship.

2. 60 percent of the passengers with round-trip tickets, did not take their cars abroad the ship.

From statement 2, from all the passengers with round trip tickets, if 60% did not take cars, then the remaining 40% must have taken cars.

This 40% (of passengers with roundtrip tickets) = 20% of total passengers.

Hope I explained it better...
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 09 Oct 2005
Posts: 727
Location: Madrid
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 17 May 2006, 11:15
very strange))
20 percent of a ship's passengers held round-trip tickets and the question is what percent of the ship's passengers held round-trip tickets?
Confused me a little))
gmatmba gr8 decoding 10x
_________________

IE IMBA 2010

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 May 2006
Posts: 5
Location: Russia
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 18 May 2006, 03:55
I understood the question :-D

Passangers with round tickets:

with cars: 20%
without cars: 0.6X%
Total: X%

20+0.6x=x
0.4x=20
x=50%
  [#permalink] 18 May 2006, 03:55
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
8 Experts publish their posts in the topic On a certain transatlantic crossing, 20 percent of a ship’s azule45 14 01 May 2009, 11:45
On a certain transatlantic crossing, 20 percent of a ship s marcodonzelli 2 06 Jan 2008, 08:06
On a certain transatlantic crossing, 20 percent of a ship s Ravshonbek 7 04 Oct 2007, 13:46
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic On a certain transatlantic crossing, 20 percent of a ships johnycute 8 25 Dec 2006, 06:23
On a certain transatlantic crossing, 20 percent of a ships chunjuwu 3 31 Jan 2005, 08:58
Display posts from previous: Sort by

On a certain transatlantic crossing, 20 percent of a ship's

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.