Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 05:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

On a class test there are 5 questions. One question has been

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2013
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

On a class test there are 5 questions. One question has been [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 11:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (03:30) correct 56% (02:14) wrong based on 27 sessions
On a class test there are 5 questions. One question has been taken from each of four chapters. The first two chapters have 3 questions each, the last two chapters have 6 questions each. The fourth question can be picked from any of the four chapters. How many different question papers could have been prepared?

A. 540
B. 1260
C. 1080
D. 400
E. 4860
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Far, far away!
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 1125
Location: Italy
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1197 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: On a class test there are 5 questions. One question has been [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 13:50
1
This post received
KUDOS
Are you sure of your answers?

I tried to figure it out but 4536 is my result, if some expert could help here...
My way:
number of ways to pick one from chapter I and II = 3C1 = 3
number of ways to pick one from chapter III and IV = 6C1 = 6
number of ways to pick one from the remaining 14 = 14C1 = 14
So my solution is 3*3*6*6*14=4536
_________________

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2010
Posts: 84
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 17

Re: On a class test there are 5 questions. One question has been [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 14:24
Zarrolou wrote:
Are you sure of your answers?

I tried to figure it out but 4536 is my result, if some expert could help here...
My way:
number of ways to pick one from chapter I and II = 3C1 = 3
number of ways to pick one from chapter III and IV = 6C1 = 6
number of ways to pick one from the remaining 14 = 14C1 = 14
So my solution is 3*3*6*6*14=4536


+1 for 4536. please check and confirm the answer choices.
thanks
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 32
Schools: Insead '13 (A)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: On a class test there are 5 questions. One question has been [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2013, 01:07
I feel like 3.3.6.6.14 is not the right answer.

Imagine the first textbook has questions Q1, Q2, Q3. Now we can choose one of these, so it's a multiplier of 3. Let's say we picked Q1. Once we've finished picking the 4 questions and now it's time to pick the final question, imagine we pick from the first textbook. Since we already picked Q1, now we can only pick Q2 and Q3. This is a multiplier of 2. Let's imagine we picked Q2.

However, imagine another situation where we picked Q2 first, and then in the fifth round we can pick Q1 or Q3. It's still a multiplier of 2. Let's imagine we picked Q1.

However, picking Q1 first then Q2 later, or Q2 first and Q1 later, are the same combinations.
But by using the 14- multipliers, we are not accounting for this.

I think the OA is wrong as well...
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23408
Followers: 3611

Kudos [?]: 28886 [0], given: 2860

Re: On a class test there are 5 questions. One question has been [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2013, 02:45
Expert's post
jubinell wrote:
I feel like 3.3.6.6.14 is not the right answer.

Imagine the first textbook has questions Q1, Q2, Q3. Now we can choose one of these, so it's a multiplier of 3. Let's say we picked Q1. Once we've finished picking the 4 questions and now it's time to pick the final question, imagine we pick from the first textbook. Since we already picked Q1, now we can only pick Q2 and Q3. This is a multiplier of 2. Let's imagine we picked Q2.

However, imagine another situation where we picked Q2 first, and then in the fifth round we can pick Q1 or Q3. It's still a multiplier of 2. Let's imagine we picked Q1.

However, picking Q1 first then Q2 later, or Q2 first and Q1 later, are the same combinations.
But by using the 14- multipliers, we are not accounting for this.

I think the OA is wrong as well...


That's correct.

On a class test there are 5 questions. One question has been taken from each of four chapters. The first two chapters have 3 questions each, the last two chapters have 6 questions each. The fourth question can be picked from any of the four chapters. How many different question papers could have been prepared?
A. 540
B. 1260
C. 1080
D. 400
E. 4860

We can pick 2 questions from either of the four chapters.

If 2 questions are picked from the first chapter: C^2_3*3*6*6;

If 2 questions are picked from the second chapter: 3*C^2_3*6*6;

If 2 questions are picked from the third chapter: 3*3*C^2_6*6;

If 2 questions are picked from the third chapter: 3*3*6*C^2_6.

Total = 2,268.

There is no correct answer among the options.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2013
Posts: 77
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q41 V29
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V20
GPA: 3.5
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 24

Re: On a class test there are 5 questions. One question has been [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2013, 03:07
Bunuel wrote:
jubinell wrote:
I feel like 3.3.6.6.14 is not the right answer.

Imagine the first textbook has questions Q1, Q2, Q3. Now we can choose one of these, so it's a multiplier of 3. Let's say we picked Q1. Once we've finished picking the 4 questions and now it's time to pick the final question, imagine we pick from the first textbook. Since we already picked Q1, now we can only pick Q2 and Q3. This is a multiplier of 2. Let's imagine we picked Q2.

However, imagine another situation where we picked Q2 first, and then in the fifth round we can pick Q1 or Q3. It's still a multiplier of 2. Let's imagine we picked Q1.

However, picking Q1 first then Q2 later, or Q2 first and Q1 later, are the same combinations.
But by using the 14- multipliers, we are not accounting for this.

I think the OA is wrong as well...


That's correct.

On a class test there are 5 questions. One question has been taken from each of four chapters. The first two chapters have 3 questions each, the last two chapters have 6 questions each. The fourth question can be picked from any of the four chapters. How many different question papers could have been prepared?
A. 540
B. 1260
C. 1080
D. 400
E. 4860

We can pick 2 questions from either of the four chapters.

If 2 questions are picked from the first chapter: C^2_3*3*6*6;

If 2 questions are picked from the second chapter: 3*C^2_3*6*6;

If 2 questions are picked from the third chapter: 3*3*C^2_6*6;

If 2 questions are picked from the third chapter: 3*3*6*C^2_6.

Total = 2,268.

There is no correct answer among the options.


Hi Bunuel,

I understood the way you have solved, but could you please help me understanding where I am going wrong.

I solved it using the following method

3C1 * 3C1 * 6C1 * 6C1 * 14C1
1st q 2nd q 3rd q 4th q 5th q

14C1 is because we are left with 2+2+5+5 questions in each of the chapters respectively and that we have to chose the last one from those remaining.

When I solve this I get double of 2268 i.e. 4536...

Thanks in advance!!!
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23408
Followers: 3611

Kudos [?]: 28886 [0], given: 2860

Re: On a class test there are 5 questions. One question has been [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2013, 08:23
Expert's post
shameekv wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
jubinell wrote:
I feel like 3.3.6.6.14 is not the right answer.

Imagine the first textbook has questions Q1, Q2, Q3. Now we can choose one of these, so it's a multiplier of 3. Let's say we picked Q1. Once we've finished picking the 4 questions and now it's time to pick the final question, imagine we pick from the first textbook. Since we already picked Q1, now we can only pick Q2 and Q3. This is a multiplier of 2. Let's imagine we picked Q2.

However, imagine another situation where we picked Q2 first, and then in the fifth round we can pick Q1 or Q3. It's still a multiplier of 2. Let's imagine we picked Q1.

However, picking Q1 first then Q2 later, or Q2 first and Q1 later, are the same combinations.
But by using the 14- multipliers, we are not accounting for this.

I think the OA is wrong as well...


That's correct.

On a class test there are 5 questions. One question has been taken from each of four chapters. The first two chapters have 3 questions each, the last two chapters have 6 questions each. The fourth question can be picked from any of the four chapters. How many different question papers could have been prepared?
A. 540
B. 1260
C. 1080
D. 400
E. 4860

We can pick 2 questions from either of the four chapters.

If 2 questions are picked from the first chapter: C^2_3*3*6*6;

If 2 questions are picked from the second chapter: 3*C^2_3*6*6;

If 2 questions are picked from the third chapter: 3*3*C^2_6*6;

If 2 questions are picked from the third chapter: 3*3*6*C^2_6.

Total = 2,268.

There is no correct answer among the options.


Hi Bunuel,

I understood the way you have solved, but could you please help me understanding where I am going wrong.

I solved it using the following method

3C1 * 3C1 * 6C1 * 6C1 * 14C1
1st q 2nd q 3rd q 4th q 5th q

14C1 is because we are left with 2+2+5+5 questions in each of the chapters respectively and that we have to chose the last one from those remaining.

When I solve this I get double of 2268 i.e. 4536...

Thanks in advance!!!


Partly your doubt is addressed here: on-a-class-test-there-are-5-questions-one-question-has-been-149937.html#p1267093

Or consider this. With your solution we can get: A1, B1, C1, D1, and then A2. But we can also get: A2, B1, C1, D1, and then A1, which is basically the same set.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2013
Posts: 77
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q41 V29
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V20
GPA: 3.5
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 24

Re: On a class test there are 5 questions. One question has been [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2013, 11:00
shameekv wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
jubinell wrote:
I feel like 3.3.6.6.14 is not the right answer.

Imagine the first textbook has questions Q1, Q2, Q3. Now we can choose one of these, so it's a multiplier of 3. Let's say we picked Q1. Once we've finished picking the 4 questions and now it's time to pick the final question, imagine we pick from the first textbook. Since we already picked Q1, now we can only pick Q2 and Q3. This is a multiplier of 2. Let's imagine we picked Q2.

However, imagine another situation where we picked Q2 first, and then in the fifth round we can pick Q1 or Q3. It's still a multiplier of 2. Let's imagine we picked Q1.

However, picking Q1 first then Q2 later, or Q2 first and Q1 later, are the same combinations.
But by using the 14- multipliers, we are not accounting for this.

I think the OA is wrong as well...


That's correct.

On a class test there are 5 questions. One question has been taken from each of four chapters. The first two chapters have 3 questions each, the last two chapters have 6 questions each. The fourth question can be picked from any of the four chapters. How many different question papers could have been prepared?
A. 540
B. 1260
C. 1080
D. 400
E. 4860

We can pick 2 questions from either of the four chapters.

If 2 questions are picked from the first chapter: C^2_3*3*6*6;

If 2 questions are picked from the second chapter: 3*C^2_3*6*6;

If 2 questions are picked from the third chapter: 3*3*C^2_6*6;

If 2 questions are picked from the third chapter: 3*3*6*C^2_6.

Total = 2,268.

There is no correct answer among the options.


Hi Bunuel,

I understood the way you have solved, but could you please help me understanding where I am going wrong.

I solved it using the following method

3C1 * 3C1 * 6C1 * 6C1 * 14C1
1st q 2nd q 3rd q 4th q 5th q

14C1 is because we are left with 2+2+5+5 questions in each of the chapters respectively and that we have to chose the last one from those remaining.

When I solve this I get double of 2268 i.e. 4536...

Thanks in advance!!!


Hi, Well I am still in confusion..

What if the question had asked if there were 6 questions to be picked and last 2 can be picked from any of those questions remaining? And also if the last 2 can be picked only from one of the chapters.

Are we trying to divide the term 4536 by 2! since 2 questions represent same set from 1 chapter?

Could you please elaborate on this? I am trying to understand the concept here..
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23408
Followers: 3611

Kudos [?]: 28886 [0], given: 2860

Re: On a class test there are 5 questions. One question has been [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2013, 11:19
Expert's post
shameekv wrote:
shameekv wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

That's correct.

On a class test there are 5 questions. One question has been taken from each of four chapters. The first two chapters have 3 questions each, the last two chapters have 6 questions each. The fourth question can be picked from any of the four chapters. How many different question papers could have been prepared?
A. 540
B. 1260
C. 1080
D. 400
E. 4860

We can pick 2 questions from either of the four chapters.

If 2 questions are picked from the first chapter: C^2_3*3*6*6;

If 2 questions are picked from the second chapter: 3*C^2_3*6*6;

If 2 questions are picked from the third chapter: 3*3*C^2_6*6;

If 2 questions are picked from the third chapter: 3*3*6*C^2_6.

Total = 2,268.

There is no correct answer among the options.


Hi Bunuel,

I understood the way you have solved, but could you please help me understanding where I am going wrong.

I solved it using the following method

3C1 * 3C1 * 6C1 * 6C1 * 14C1
1st q 2nd q 3rd q 4th q 5th q

14C1 is because we are left with 2+2+5+5 questions in each of the chapters respectively and that we have to chose the last one from those remaining.

When I solve this I get double of 2268 i.e. 4536...

Thanks in advance!!!


Hi, Well I am still in confusion..

What if the question had asked if there were 6 questions to be picked and last 2 can be picked from any of those questions remaining? And also if the last 2 can be picked only from one of the chapters.

Are we trying to divide the term 4536 by 2! since 2 questions represent same set from 1 chapter?

Could you please elaborate on this? I am trying to understand the concept here..


The following post might help: 4-professors-and-6-students-are-being-considered-for-85865-20.html#p1265096
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: On a class test there are 5 questions. One question has been   [#permalink] 15 Sep 2013, 11:19
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic One Question a day – Q#5 SC 01032014 daagh 12 02 Mar 2014, 00:41
One of the questions in MGMAT test-confused with the answer willisback 0 21 Aug 2013, 08:45
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic A closed cylindrical tank contains 36π cubic feet of water GMATSA 5 06 Jul 2010, 19:36
23 Experts publish their posts in the topic GMAT Diagnostic Test Question 5 bb 26 06 Jun 2009, 20:07
Mike has to take 5 tests containing 80 questions each. After bmwhype2 4 03 Nov 2007, 15:24
Display posts from previous: Sort by

On a class test there are 5 questions. One question has been

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.