Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 15:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

On a recent test, Kevin scored m percent higher than the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2011
Posts: 66
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
On a recent test, Kevin scored m percent higher than the [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 21:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (low)

Question Stats:

68% (01:57) correct 32% (00:46) wrong based on 41 sessions
On a recent test, Kevin scored m percent higher than the class average, while Katherine scored n percent higher than the class average. What was the class average?

(1) n – m = 7
(2) m = 12
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 01 Dec 2012, 05:55, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic.
1 KUDOS received
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 1226
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 627 [1] , given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Question based on average [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 22:05
1
This post received
KUDOS
vinnik wrote:
On a recent test, Kevin scored m percent higher than the class average, while Katherine scored n percent higher than the class average. What was the class average?

(1) n – m = 7

(2) m = 12

Please explain

Thanks & Regards
Vinni


1) We do not get any useful data from this. Obviously insufficient.

2) We do not get any useful data from this. Obviously insufficient.

1 & 2 together. m = 12% and n = 19%. We still do not have any idea about the class average. Insufficient.

I find it hard to explain why 1 & 2 are "obviously" insufficient. If you could tell me how one could think them to be sufficient, I'll try my best to provide an explanation.
_________________

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2011
Posts: 66
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Question based on average [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 09:08
MacFauz wrote:

1) We do not get any useful data from this. Obviously insufficient.

2) We do not get any useful data from this. Obviously insufficient.

1 & 2 together. m = 12% and n = 19%. We still do not have any idea about the class average. Insufficient.

I find it hard to explain why 1 & 2 are "obviously" insufficient. If you could tell me how one could think them to be sufficient, I'll try my best to provide an explanation.


Thanks MacFauz, i was thinking exactly the same way, but i wasn't confident.

Regards Vinni
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Feb 2013
Posts: 184
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 25

Re: Question based on average [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2013, 00:54
MacFauz wrote:
vinnik wrote:
On a recent test, Kevin scored m percent higher than the class average, while Katherine scored n percent higher than the class average. What was the class average?

(1) n – m = 7

(2) m = 12

Please explain

Thanks & Regards
Vinni


1) We do not get any useful data from this. Obviously insufficient.

2) We do not get any useful data from this. Obviously insufficient.

1 & 2 together. m = 12% and n = 19%. We still do not have any idea about the class average. Insufficient.

I find it hard to explain why 1 & 2 are "obviously" insufficient. If you could tell me how one could think them to be sufficient, I'll try my best to provide an explanation.


We need a starting point (a score) in order to be able to deduce actual numbers from percentages.
It's the classic "given a percentage, find the number" type of question I think. Hence, obviously we can't deduce anything from 1+2.
Re: Question based on average   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2013, 00:54
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic GMAT Tuesdays with Kevin: Practice Test Scores KevinRocci 0 03 Dec 2013, 10:12
Experts publish their posts in the topic Less correct answers but higher score on practice tests? shiftyeyes67k 3 01 Apr 2013, 07:10
Scored higher on GMAT than expected... need help with target rcharchar 1 08 Sep 2012, 03:40
MGMAT score higher than actual test jmuduke08 8 28 Jul 2012, 19:09
Just got a 680, 100 pts higher than my practice tests revan 4 14 Nov 2011, 11:39
Display posts from previous: Sort by

On a recent test, Kevin scored m percent higher than the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.