Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 23:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

On any city street in today's world one will encounter more

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2012
Posts: 279
Location: United States
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 171 [1] , given: 323

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
On any city street in today's world one will encounter more [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 06:52
1
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (01:54) correct 29% (01:22) wrong based on 160 sessions
On any city street in today's world one will encounter more women who wear pants than skirts, yet, just two or three generations ago, when police forced actress Marlene Dietrich to leave Paris in 1945, for she had dared to wear pants on the street.


a)one will encounter more women who wear pants than skirts, yet, just two or three generations ago, when police forced actress Marlene Dietrich to leave Paris in 1945, for she had dared to wear

b)more women have been encountered wearing pants than skirts, yet it was only in 1945, just two or three generations ago, when police forced actress Marlene Dietrich to leave Paris to dare wearing

c)one has encountered more women wearing pants than skirts, yet, only two or three generations ago, it was in 1945 that Marlene Dietrich, the actress, was forced to leave Paris by police because she dared to wear

d)more women who wear pants than women who wear skirts will be encountered, yet in 1945, just two or three generations ago, when actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris to dare wearing

e)one will encounter more women wearing pants than wearing skirts, yet it was only two or three generations ago, in 1945, that actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris for daring to wear


OA to follow
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by guerrero25 on 15 Apr 2013, 07:07, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Far, far away!
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 1125
Location: Italy
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1191 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: On any city street in today's world one will encounter mo [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 07:01
1
This post received
KUDOS
On any city street in today's world one will encounter more women who wear pants than skirts, yet, just two or three generations ago, when police forced actress Marlene Dietrich to leave Paris in 1945, for she had dared to wear pants on the street.

A is wrong because compares "more women who wear pants than skirts": women with skirts. Also uses " she had dared " past-perfect is wrong in this occasion.
Also C uses the past perfect: no reason to to so, and its usage it's wrong.
Avoid passive if possible, out B and D.
We can eliminate some answers if we look at this part: "it was only two or three generations ago, in 1945, when /that actress" when is wrong in this construct: "that" is correct.

e)one will encounter more women wearing pants than wearing skirts, yet it was only two or three generations ago, in 1945, that actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris for daring to wear

E correctly compares "women wearing pants" with "(women) wearing skirts". The verbs are correct and the sentence is clear
IMO E, waiting for OA...
_________________

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2012
Posts: 138
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 22

Re: On any city street in today's world one will encounter mo [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 07:08
1
This post received
KUDOS
guerrero25 wrote:
On any city street in today's world one will encounter more women who wear pants than skirts, yet, just two or three generations ago, when police forced actress Marlene Dietrich to leave Paris in 1945, for she had dared to wear pants on the street.


a)one will encounter more women who wear pants than skirts, yet, just two or three generations ago, when police forced actress Marlene Dietrich to leave Paris in 1945, for she had dared to wear

b)more women have been encountered wearing pants than skirts, yet it was only in 1945, just two or three generations ago, when police forced actress Marlene Dietrich to leave Paris to dare wearing

c)one has encountered more women wearing pants than skirts, yet, only two or three generations ago, it was in 1945 that Marlene Dietrich, the actress, was forced to leave Paris by police because she dared to wear

d)more women who wear pants than women who wear skirts will be encountered, yet in 1945, just two or three generations ago, when actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris to dare wearing

e)one will encounter more women wearing pants than wearing skirts, yet it was only two or three generations ago, in 1945, that actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris for daring to wear


OA to follow


E looks the best of the lot. Although "one will encounter more women wearing pants than wearing skirts" gives altogether a different connotation.
I would have liked sentence making comparison as follows....more women who wear pants than women who wear skirts. A and D has that structure but are followed by run on sentence.
_________________

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 292
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 99

Re: On any city street in today's world one will encounter mo [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 07:19
Can someone point any new errors in option C other than tense error
_________________

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 292
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 99

Re: On any city street in today's world one will encounter more [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 18:06
hi rakesh,
Nice catch on yet part..
In options A and C In 1945 doesnt modify correctly the noun phrase "just two or three generations ago"... That is also a flaw in options A and C right?
_________________

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Aug 2012
Posts: 23
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 36

Re: On any city street in today's world one will encounter mo [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2013, 23:51
skamal7 wrote:
Can someone point any new errors in option C other than tense error


one has encountered more women wearing pants than skirts, yet, only two or three generations ago, it was in 1945 that Marlene Dietrich, the actress, was forced to leave Paris by police because she dared to wear

In Option C, importance is given for the year 1945. What we need as per the original sentence's intended meaning is for ''only two or three generations ago''.. Option C, the bolded text is made non essential.. Wrong..
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2012
Posts: 1120
Location: United States
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1374 [0], given: 122

Re: On any city street in today's world one will encounter more [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2013, 01:20
guerrero25 wrote:
On any city street in today's world one will encounter more women who wear pants than skirts, yet, just two or three generations ago, when police forced actress Marlene Dietrich to leave Paris in 1945, for she had dared to wear pants on the street.


a)one will encounter more women who wear pants than skirts, yet, just two or three generations ago, when police forced actress Marlene Dietrich to leave Paris in 1945, for she had dared to wear

b)more women have been encountered wearing pants than skirts, yet it was only in 1945, just two or three generations ago, when police forced actress Marlene Dietrich to leave Paris to dare wearing

c)one has encountered more women wearing pants than skirts, yet, only two or three generations ago, it was in 1945 that Marlene Dietrich, the actress, was forced to leave Paris by police because she dared to wear

d)more women who wear pants than women who wear skirts will be encountered, yet in 1945, just two or three generations ago, when actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris to dare wearing

e)one will encounter more women wearing pants than wearing skirts, yet it was only two or three generations ago, in 1945, that actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris for daring to wear


OA to follow


Tough question, E is correct.

The rule for comparison is: more X than Y ==> X and Y must be comparable.

A is wrong because: more women who wear pants than skirts.
B is wrong because: more women have been encountered wearing pants than skirts
C is wrong because: more women wearing pants than skirts
D is wrong because: "to leave Paris to dare wearing" changes meaning. Also, passive voice " will be encountered," is not good.

E is correct
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
avatar
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 2266
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1698 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: On any city street in today's world one will encounter more [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2013, 05:47
Expert's post
IMO:


a)one will encounter more women who wear pants than skirts, yet, just two or three generations ago, when police forced actress Marlene Dietrich to leave Paris in 1945, for she had dared to wear _ This is a grammatically incorrect construction of the sentence. The subordinate clause introduced by ‘when’ is a fragment, not falling upon a main clause; the next clause ‘for she had dared to wear ‘is also a sub -clause, with the word ‘for’ meaning ‘because’, another subordinate conjunction. The sentence is incomplete and a fragment

b)more women have been encountered wearing pants than skirts, yet it was only in 1945, just two or three generations ago, when police forced actress Marlene Dietrich to leave Paris to dare wearing --- same problem as in A; a fragment

c)one has encountered more women wearing pants than skirts, yet, only two or three generations ago, it was in 1945 that Marlene Dietrich, the actress, was forced to leave Paris by police because she dared to wear – perfect tense ‘has encountered’, is wrong as if the encounter is not going to happen again

d)more women who wear pants than women who wear skirts will be encountered, yet in 1945, just two or three generations ago, when actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris to dare wearing --- will encounter is wrong, as if we have not encountered them so far.

e) one will encounter more women wearing pants than wearing skirts, yet it was only two or three generations ago, in 1945, that actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris for daring to wear -- best choice
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 163
Location: Poland
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 67

Re: On any city street in today's world one will encounter more [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2013, 08:28
E ist the best choice, but I think it is not fully correct:
Quote:
one will encounter more women wearing pants than wearing skirts, yet it was only two or three generations ago, in 1945, that actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris for daring to wear


Isn't the underlined "that" wrong here? "When" would suit much better! Is the problem rewritten corretly?
_________________

If I answered your question with this post, use the motivating power of kudos!

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Representative
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2012
Posts: 346
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 140

Kudos [?]: 186 [1] , given: 4

Re: On any city street in today's world one will encounter more [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2013, 09:05
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Humpty Dumpty,

No I think 'that' is correct.

Here is E

one will encounter more women wearing pants than wearing skirts, yet it was only two or three generations ago, in 1945, that actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris for daring to wear

You can take out the 2 words 'in 1945' out - as it just describes 'two or three generations ago' and it becomes clearer:

one will encounter more women wearing pants than wearing skirts, yet it was only two or three generations ago, that actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris for daring to wear

Then I think it's clear that 'that' is correct.
_________________

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0



... and more

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 163
Location: Poland
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 67

Re: On any city street in today's world one will encounter more [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2013, 21:53
Honestly, I don't know this construction! Could you please explain it to me?
_________________

If I answered your question with this post, use the motivating power of kudos!

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 838
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 612 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: On any city street in today's world one will encounter more [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 01:38
daagh wrote:
IMO:


a)one will encounter more women who wear pants than skirts, yet, just two or three generations ago, when police forced actress Marlene Dietrich to leave Paris in 1945, for she had dared to wear _ This is a grammatically incorrect construction of the sentence. The subordinate clause introduced by ‘when’ is a fragment, not falling upon a main clause; the next clause ‘for she had dared to wear ‘is also a sub -clause, with the word ‘for’ meaning ‘because’, another subordinate conjunction. The sentence is incomplete and a fragment

b)more women have been encountered wearing pants than skirts, yet it was only in 1945, just two or three generations ago, when police forced actress Marlene Dietrich to leave Paris to dare wearing --- same problem as in A; a fragment

c)one has encountered more women wearing pants than skirts, yet, only two or three generations ago, it was in 1945 that Marlene Dietrich, the actress, was forced to leave Paris by police because she dared to wear – perfect tense ‘has encountered’, is wrong as if the encounter is not going to happen again

d)more women who wear pants than women who wear skirts will be encountered, yet in 1945, just two or three generations ago, when actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris to dare wearing --- will encounter is wrong, as if we have not encountered them so far.

e) one will encounter more women wearing pants than wearing skirts, yet it was only two or three generations ago, in 1945, that actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris for daring to wear -- best choice


completely agree with DAAGH

COMMA FANBOYS construction always connects two independent clauses......
in this case COMMA YET must connect two independent clause....therefore OPTION A,B, AND D is out as they dont have main subject ....hence a fragment....not a clause.

in OPTION C
c)one has encountered more women wearing pants than skirts, yet, only two or three generations ago, it was in 1945 that Marlene Dietrich, the actress, was forced to leave Paris by police because she dared to wear
In this first of all comparison is wrong....women compared with pants....
secondly only two or three generations ago,,,is incorrectly modifying "IT"......rather it should modify 1945....hence this is wrong......

hence correct option is E.

hope it helps

SKM
_________________

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...



GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Posts: 70
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

Re: On any city street in today's world one will encounter more [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 21:22
daagh wrote:
IMO:


a)one will encounter more women who wear pants than skirts, yet, just two or three generations ago, when police forced actress Marlene Dietrich to leave Paris in 1945, for she had dared to wear _ This is a grammatically incorrect construction of the sentence. The subordinate clause introduced by ‘when’ is a fragment, not falling upon a main clause; the next clause ‘for she had dared to wear ‘is also a sub -clause, with the word ‘for’ meaning ‘because’, another subordinate conjunction. The sentence is incomplete and a fragment

b)more women have been encountered wearing pants than skirts, yet it was only in 1945, just two or three generations ago, when police forced actress Marlene Dietrich to leave Paris to dare wearing --- same problem as in A; a fragment

c)one has encountered more women wearing pants than skirts, yet, only two or three generations ago, it was in 1945 that Marlene Dietrich, the actress, was forced to leave Paris by police because she dared to wear – perfect tense ‘has encountered’, is wrong as if the encounter is not going to happen again

d)more women who wear pants than women who wear skirts will be encountered, yet in 1945, just two or three generations ago, when actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris to dare wearing --- will encounter is wrong, as if we have not encountered them so far.

e) one will encounter more women wearing pants than wearing skirts, yet it was only two or three generations ago, in 1945, that actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris for daring to wear -- best choice



Dont understand when you mean fragment can you please explain more
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 838
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 612 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: On any city street in today's world one will encounter more [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 22:23
rrkan wrote:


Dont understand when you mean fragment can you please explain more


hi rrkan,

first of all for under standing a fragment you must be able to distinguish between independent clause and dependent clause.
Independent Clause
======================
An independent clause is a group of words that contains a subject and verb and expresses a complete thought. An independent clause is a sentence.
example:
Jim studied in the Sweet Shop for his chemistry quiz.

Dependent Clause
=======================
A dependent clause is a group of words that contains a subject and verb but does not express a complete thought. A dependent clause cannot be a sentence. Often a dependent clause is marked by a dependent marker word.

When Jim studied in the Sweet Shop for his chemistry quiz . . . (What happened when he studied? The thought is incomplete.)

Dependent Marker Word
========================
A dependent marker word is a word added to the beginning of an independent clause that makes it into a dependent clause.
example:
When Jim studied in the Sweet Shop for his chemistry quiz, it was very noisy.
Some common dependent markers are: after, although, as, as if, because, before, even if, even though, if, in order to, since, though, unless, until, whatever, when, whenever, whether, and while.

Sentence Fragments
=====================

Sentence fragments happen by treating a dependent clause or other incomplete thought as a complete sentence.
example:
Because I forgot the exam was today.
You can usually fix this error by combining it with another sentence to make a complete thought or by removing the dependent marker.

Correct: Because I forgot the exam was today, I didn't study.
(or) I forgot the exam was today.

now in our question :
On any city street in today's world one will encounter more women who wear pants than skirts, yet, just two or three generations ago, when police forced actress Marlene Dietrich to leave Paris in 1945, for she had dared to wear pants on the street.

according to comma fanboys rule ===>comma yet or comma for will connect to IC.
THEREFORE
when police forced actress Marlene Dietrich to leave Paris in 1945
AND
she had dared to wear pants on the street
BOTH SHOULD BE AN INDEPENDENT CLAUSE....but clearly the first sentence is starting with when and doesn't makes complete sense.
hence this is a fragment.
note: i am not considering any other grammatical error right now.

HOPE IT HELPS.
_________________

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...



GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Posts: 70
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

Re: On any city street in today's world one will encounter more [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 16:35
shaileshmishra wrote:
rrkan wrote:


Dont understand when you mean fragment can you please explain more


hi rrkan,

first of all for under standing a fragment you must be able to distinguish between independent clause and dependent clause.
Independent Clause
======================
An independent clause is a group of words that contains a subject and verb and expresses a complete thought. An independent clause is a sentence.
example:
Jim studied in the Sweet Shop for his chemistry quiz.

Dependent Clause
=======================
A dependent clause is a group of words that contains a subject and verb but does not express a complete thought. A dependent clause cannot be a sentence. Often a dependent clause is marked by a dependent marker word.

When Jim studied in the Sweet Shop for his chemistry quiz . . . (What happened when he studied? The thought is incomplete.)

Dependent Marker Word
========================
A dependent marker word is a word added to the beginning of an independent clause that makes it into a dependent clause.
example:
When Jim studied in the Sweet Shop for his chemistry quiz, it was very noisy.
Some common dependent markers are: after, although, as, as if, because, before, even if, even though, if, in order to, since, though, unless, until, whatever, when, whenever, whether, and while.

Sentence Fragments
=====================

Sentence fragments happen by treating a dependent clause or other incomplete thought as a complete sentence.
example:
Because I forgot the exam was today.
You can usually fix this error by combining it with another sentence to make a complete thought or by removing the dependent marker.

Correct: Because I forgot the exam was today, I didn't study.
(or) I forgot the exam was today.

now in our question :
On any city street in today's world one will encounter more women who wear pants than skirts, yet, just two or three generations ago, when police forced actress Marlene Dietrich to leave Paris in 1945, for she had dared to wear pants on the street.

according to comma fanboys rule ===>comma yet or comma for will connect to IC.
THEREFORE
when police forced actress Marlene Dietrich to leave Paris in 1945
AND
she had dared to wear pants on the street
BOTH SHOULD BE AN INDEPENDENT CLAUSE....but clearly the first sentence is starting with when and doesn't makes complete sense.
hence this is a fragment.
note: i am not considering any other grammatical error right now.

HOPE IT HELPS.


It definetely helps. Thanks a lot. I read through the fanboys stuff too but I have one question.

one will encounter more women wearing pants than wearing skirts, yet it was only two or three generations ago, in 1945, that actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris for daring to wear

In this sentence because of yet(fanboy) there should be a complete though before and after fanboy right.

"one will encounter more women wearing pants than wearing skirts" -- is this a complete thought or does it needs to have subject and verb ?
in such a case what is the subject and verb in this.

"it was only two or three generations ago, in 1945, that actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris for daring to wear"
What is the subject and verb in this case.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 838
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 612 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: On any city street in today's world one will encounter more [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 22:28
rrkan wrote:
It definetely helps. Thanks a lot. I read through the fanboys stuff too but I have one question.

one will encounter more women wearing pants than wearing skirts, yet it was only two or three generations ago, in 1945, that actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris for daring to wear

In this sentence because of yet(fanboy) there should be a complete though before and after fanboy right.

"one will encounter more women wearing pants than wearing skirts" -- is this a complete thought or does it needs to have subject and verb ?
in such a case what is the subject and verb in this.

"it was only two or three generations ago, in 1945, that actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris for daring to wear"
What is the subject and verb in this case.


HI RRKAN,
see if you see the sentence as you presented here:
one will encounter more women wearing pants than wearing skirts, yet it was only two or three generations ago, in 1945, that actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris for daring to wear
in this case the first part : one will encounter more women wearing pants than wearing skirts.....this is not making a complete thought in my opinion because still you have question that when or where one will encounter more women wearing pants than wearing skirts.
but if you read the non underlined portion the complete sentence before yet is like this:
On any city street in today's world one will encounter more women who wear pants than skirts===>now this makes a complete thought and our when and where is also clear.
in this case subject is: ONE
verb: will encounter.
now the second part after YET:
it was only two or three generations ago, in 1945, that actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris for daring to wear
See as we know AN IC can be formed by attaching two dependent clause and same is the case here.
and since each clause must contain its own sub-verb pair.....so there are two sub-verb pair.
first: sub:IT verb: was
second: sub: MARLENE D verb: was forced.

more for your information :
whenever you spot a relative pronoun such as THAT , WHICH, WHO....etc...it should be followed by a clause means it must have a subject and verb.

kudos if it helps.
_________________

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...



GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Posts: 70
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

Re: On any city street in today's world one will encounter more [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2013, 10:36
shaileshmishra wrote:
rrkan wrote:
It definetely helps. Thanks a lot. I read through the fanboys stuff too but I have one question.

one will encounter more women wearing pants than wearing skirts, yet it was only two or three generations ago, in 1945, that actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris for daring to wear

In this sentence because of yet(fanboy) there should be a complete though before and after fanboy right.

"one will encounter more women wearing pants than wearing skirts" -- is this a complete thought or does it needs to have subject and verb ?
in such a case what is the subject and verb in this.

"it was only two or three generations ago, in 1945, that actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris for daring to wear"
What is the subject and verb in this case.


HI RRKAN,
see if you see the sentence as you presented here:
one will encounter more women wearing pants than wearing skirts, yet it was only two or three generations ago, in 1945, that actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris for daring to wear
in this case the first part : one will encounter more women wearing pants than wearing skirts.....this is not making a complete thought in my opinion because still you have question that when or where one will encounter more women wearing pants than wearing skirts.
but if you read the non underlined portion the complete sentence before yet is like this:
On any city street in today's world one will encounter more women who wear pants than skirts===>now this makes a complete thought and our when and where is also clear.
in this case subject is: ONE
verb: will encounter.
now the second part after YET:
it was only two or three generations ago, in 1945, that actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris for daring to wear
See as we know AN IC can be formed by attaching two dependent clause and same is the case here.
and since each clause must contain its own sub-verb pair.....so there are two sub-verb pair.
first: sub:IT verb: was
second: sub: MARLENE D verb: was forced.

more for your information :
whenever you spot a relative pronoun such as THAT , WHICH, WHO....etc...it should be followed by a clause means it must have a subject and verb.

kudos if it helps.


Thank you very much for your explanation. I understood every thing you wrote.
Is there any documentation you point out where I can read more on this. I read Manhattan GMAT SC
couple of times but it does not talk about all these nuances for example you mentioned
" AN IC can be formed by attaching two dependent clause and same is the case here".
I dont know this before.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Looking to improve
Joined: 15 Jan 2013
Posts: 177
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 65

Re: On any city street in today's world one will encounter more [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2013, 11:23
rrkan,

check out chapter 10 - odds & ends strategy in MGMAT SC strategy guide.
_________________

KUDOS is a way to say Thank You

Re: On any city street in today's world one will encounter more   [#permalink] 20 Jun 2013, 11:23
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
General Question encountered today ChallengeAnything 2 08 Jul 2013, 02:13
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic The city will lose more than one million dollars in solarzj 8 06 Jun 2012, 12:14
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic In city A, the streets are aligned in a grid (see attachment bhandariavi 5 21 Mar 2011, 19:13
6 The city will lose more than one million dollars in marcodonzelli 6 02 Mar 2008, 12:19
Today just is not my day.. One more SC which stumped me.... GMAThopeful 5 21 Mar 2007, 21:47
Display posts from previous: Sort by

On any city street in today's world one will encounter more

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.