Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 06:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

On average, residents of City X devote a greater percentage

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
On average, residents of City X devote a greater percentage [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2007, 18:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

96% (02:29) correct 4% (00:00) wrong based on 43 sessions
On average, residents of City X devote a greater percentage of their yearly incomes to housing costs than do residents of City Y, though the costs of insurance and fuel generally are exorbitant in both commuter-heavy cities. Yet in Wealth Magazine's annual list of the country's least affordable cities, City Y is deemed less affordable than City X.

Which of the following, if true, best explains the contrast described above?

A. A greater percentage of residents of City Y send their children to private schools than is the case in City X.

B. Unlike City Y, City X has an efficient and inexpensive public transportation system.

C. The average price of a new house is higher in City X than in City Y.

D. A number of high-priced restaurants and boutiques have recently opened in City Y.

E. Several large businesses have recently relocated from City Y to City X.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
MGMAT CR [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2007, 19:48
My answer would be choice B. The critical element in the passage both commuter-heavy cities implies that residents spent money on transportation, a key element of surveys. Choice B implies that residents of City X have more public transportation choices, which tend to be cheaper, thus making it more affordable. Whereas in the case of City Y, the implied inefficiency of the public transportation could push commuters to use their automobiles often, leading to higher gas expenditures.

I know what I came up with definitely qualify for a wild reasoning but I think it is still valid given the circumstances explained the problem. Let me know if this logic is correct.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MGMAT CR [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2007, 20:05
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
On average, residents of City X devote a greater percentage of their yearly incomes to housing costs than do residents of City Y, though the costs of insurance and fuel generally are exorbitant in both commuter-heavy cities. Yet in Wealth Magazine's annual list of the country's least affordable cities, City Y is deemed less affordable than City X.

A. A greater percentage of residents of City Y send their children to private schools than is the case in City X.

B. Unlike City Y, City X has an efficient and inexpensive public transportation system.

D. A number of high-priced restaurants and boutiques have recently opened in City Y.

A, D and E - Out of scope.
C - weakens the conclusion
B - Cost of fuel and insurance is exorbitant in both the cities. Public transportation of city Y is inefficient and expensive, so people either use expensive public transportation or spend more on fuel.
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: MGMAT CR [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2007, 20:16
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:

B is best.
Transportation cost makes city Y less affordable.
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2007, 20:36
Nice. B is the answer.

I just didn't see this one when I was taking the test. I hate time pressure >:-X
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: MGMAT CR [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2007, 21:24
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:

I agree with B but E could also explain the parodox. if x has several large business companies, then it has higher purchasing power than city y so x can afford the housing as compared to y.
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
Re: MGMAT CR [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2007, 22:04
Fistail wrote:
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:

I agree with B but E could also explain the parodox. if x has several large business companies, then it has higher purchasing power than city y so x can afford the housing as compared to y.

This is what I thought, but owell.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: MGMAT CR [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 09:06
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
Fistail wrote:
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:

This is what I thought, but owell.

But this option "E" uses wide assumptions which r not mentioned in argument above. I think one has to add his own asumption for purchasing power reasoning. Any takers pls??
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 254 [0], given: 543

Re: On average, residents of City X devote a greater percentage [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 00:23
Can someone explain this one stuck between A and B...

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1136 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: On average, residents of City X devote a greater percentage [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 00:50
This post received
KUDOS
fozzzy wrote:
Can someone explain this one stuck between A and B...

The conclusion talks about "least affordable cities", and the passage says that the cost of fuel is exorbitant in both cities.

With B, we can conclude that X's residents can avoid fuel expenses by taking their transportation system, which is also cheap (so will not increase their taxes for example).

In A, even if more parents of Y send their childern to private school, this does not mean that the city is less affordable then X. Paying more for provate school is a choice and does not affect the overall "level of affordability" of the city. The affordability of a city must reflect the expenses necessary to live in that city, not the expenses that each one makes "above" that level.

Hope that what I mean is clear

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Re: On average, residents of City X devote a greater percentage   [#permalink] 05 Jun 2013, 00:50