Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 06:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

On average, schools that provide an extra recess period each

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 239 [2] , given: 318

Premium Member CAT Tests
On average, schools that provide an extra recess period each [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2013, 20:31
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (02:16) correct 43% (01:33) wrong based on 122 sessions
On average, schools that provide an extra recess period each day during which children are allowed unstructured play score higher on state aptitude tests that schools that do not provide such a recess period. Therefore, the test scores at Malthus Elementary would likely improve if the school adds a recess period of unstructured play.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the argument?

Nearly all of the schools providing the extra unstructured recess period provided it to reward students for their performance on the aptitude tests.
Schools that add an extra period of recess perform better than schools that merely switch from structured to unstructured recess.
Malthus already enjoys above average scores on the aptitude tests in question.
An extra recess period allows students less time to study for their aptitude tests.
Malthus formerly had an extra period of recess.
Source: Veri Prep
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Rgds,
TGC!

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 1

Re: On average, schools that provide an extra recess period [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 12:03
This post received
KUDOS
On average, schools that provide an extra recess period each day during which children are allowed unstructured play score higher on state aptitude tests that schools that do not provide such a recess period. Therefore, the test scores at Malthus Elementary would likely improve if the school adds a recess period of unstructured play.

Nearly all of the schools providing the extra unstructured recess period provided it to reward students for their performance on the aptitude tests.
Schools that add an extra period of recess perform better than schools that merely switch from structured to unstructured recess.
An extra recess period allows students less time to study for their aptitude tests.

Because you are asked to weaken the author’s reasoning, and reasoning requires a conclusion, an argument will always be present. In order to maximize your
chances of success you must identify, isolate, and assess the premises and the conclusion of the argument.

In this case

So the conclusion over here is the test scores at Malthus Elementary would likely improve if the school adds a recess period of unstructured play.

Focus on the conclusion. Almost all correct Weaken answer choices impact the conclusion.

To weaken a conditional conclusion, attack the necessary condition by showing that the necessary condition does not need to occur in order for
the sufficient condition to occur.

The conditional statement over here is On average, schools that provide an extra recess period each day during which children are allowed unstructured play score higher on state aptitude tests that schools that do not provide such a recess period
What if it is other way around, the school provided this extra recess period each day because the students were scoring high on state aptitude test.

Remember this for all weaken Questions:
The conclusion is the part of the argument that is most likely to be attacked, but the correct answer choice will not simply contradict the
conclusion. Instead, the correct answer will undermine the conclusion by showing that the conclusion fails to account for some element or possibility.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 41

Re: On average, schools that provide an extra recess period each [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2013, 20:48
This post received
KUDOS
TGC wrote:

Hi,

I am not ashamed to say that the more i do CR, the more i need to practice.
However, let me add my 2 cents.

PREMISE: Schools providing extra recess period each day during which children ago unstructured play ===> score higher on state aptitude tests than schools that do not provide such a recess period.

CONCLUSION: The test scores at Malthus Elementary would likely improve if the school adds a recess period of unstructured play.

PRE-THINKING:

1. The same trend will follow in future. i.e no obstruction will occur during implementation of the plan at Malthus Elementary.
2. Cause and effect: extra recess ===> higher state aptitude tests
3. The test score at Malthus Elementary school are representative to state aptitude test.( There is a difference in terms, maybe the test that Malthus Elementary have are internal tests)

CHOICES:
A) Nearly all of the schools providing the extra unstructured recess period provided it to reward students for their performance on the aptitude tests.

This weakens our assumption 2. This shows that until students score well they will not get extra unstructured recess period.
According to this option, the event will never occur. Because here, Effect Y occurs prior to Cause X, weakening the argument.

B) Schools that add an extra period of recess perform better than schools that merely switch from structured to unstructured recess.

The comparison b.w various schools makes no sense, it actually strengthens the argument that the plan will be effective.

C) Malthus already enjoys above average scores on the aptitude tests in question.

Malthus wants to improve the score. It already enjoys has no effect on the conclusion.We have to weaken the conclusion that something will obstruct it.

D) An extra recess period allows students less time to study for their aptitude tests.

This is the tricky part. The argument already states that children go for unstructured play, and this unstructured play somewhere helps them to score better.
So, this option does not weaken the fact that unstructured play helps to score better.

E) Malthus formerly had an extra period of recess.

Look at the word "formerly", the argument states that the extra recess is given on "daily basis".
Had the word "formerly" replaced with "daily", the argument would have weakened.

Therefore, i will go with A.

Thanks,
Jai
KUDOS if it HELPED..!!! :)

MODULUS Concept ---> inequalities-158054.html#p1257636
HEXAGON Theory ---> hexagon-theory-tips-to-solve-any-heaxgon-question-158189.html#p1258308

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: On average, schools that provide an extra recess period [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 10:43
targetgmatchotu wrote:

our arguement presents a thought that higher scores are due to recess periods..option A weakens the arguement by crashing that point..@ targetgmat please make sure that you reread your post for some typos before you submit it..i had a problem in understanding the information in the stimulus especially on this part(state aptitude tests that schools that do not provide such a recess period) regards chiccufrazer :-)

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GPA: 3.87

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 21

Re: On average, schools that provide an extra recess period [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 23:14
I love these cause/effect arguments!

Recess w/unstructured play>>high scores on aptitude test.

Weaken the argument by proving that the reverse is true:

High scores on aptitude test>>Recess w/unstructured play

Answer choice A matches this perfectly..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: On average, schools that provide an extra recess period [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 19:49
Why cant it be C

If Malthus is already at peak, you cant do much to increase the scores. Please help clarify why this is not better than A?

One Last Shot

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1385 [0], given: 122

Re: On average, schools that provide an extra recess period [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 21:26
surya167 wrote:
Why cant it be C

If Malthus is already at peak, you cant do much to increase the scores. Please help clarify why this is not better than A?

Hi surya

C: Malthus already enjoys above average scores on the aptitude tests in question.
C only says Malthus already enjoys above average scores. "Above average" does not mean "at peak". Assume average score is 3 in score scale 1-5. What if Malthus average score is 4 <== clearly, 4 is above average. But Malthus still wants its average score to improve more.
Hence, C does not weaken the conclusion.

A: Nearly all of the schools providing the extra unstructured recess period provided it to reward students for their performance on the aptitude tests.
A mentions that extra unstructured recess is not the cause, but the result of high score performance. By showing the reverse relationship is TRUE, A weaken the cause & effect conclusion.

Hop it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: On average, schools that provide an extra recess period each [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2014, 09:39
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: On average, schools that provide an extra recess period each   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2014, 09:39