Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:12 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: On-campus vs. a Self-initiated job search? [#permalink]
Thanks Pelihu for another great post!

RF
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
I think us healthcare people will have a fairly even mix of on-campus and self-initiated job searching.

That said, go to Tuck! :lol:
Current Student
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Alight my opinions...nearly opposite of what you wrote. I did on and off campus, and I got offers from on and off campus.

Dam! RR, you sure you don't have a call as a writer? I think you just about wrote the first chapter in your new book!

Thanks for the great post!

RF
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Schools:Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Send PM
Good stuff River...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Great information guys!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
Great insight, river.

Do you (or anyone else) have any comments on what to expect with international job searches? I fully expect to do a whole lot more self-initiated searches vs. on-campus recruiting. It seems the on-campus recruiters come in with a set number of (domestic?) placements available. Do they make time to look at those interested in international positions (assuming multi-national companies, here)? I imagine some on-campus recruiting happens for Far East and Europe.

I don't mind interning in the US but I will be looking for jobs in the Middle East/North Africa when I graduate.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q45  V38
Send PM
From what I understand, for the big three MC firms you have to recruit for a specific office. Is there anyway to find out which offices recruit at which schools. Is it possible to do off campus recruiting for an office that may not send any reps to your school. For example, BCG has an office in Miami. What if I really want to try and get a job at that office, but BCG Miami doesn't send anyone to Kellogg in a specific year?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
domtri33 wrote:
From what I understand, for the big three MC firms you have to recruit for a specific office. Is there anyway to find out which offices recruit at which schools. Is it possible to do off campus recruiting for an office that may not send any reps to your school. For example, BCG has an office in Miami. What if I really want to try and get a job at that office, but BCG Miami doesn't send anyone to Kellogg in a specific year?

I didnt do MC but from what I understand most firms do R1 for the entire company then advance you to your desired offices from there. Some occasionally do slightly different things. McKinsey's southern offices did one days worth, so you literally did 4 interviews in one day, no R1 or R2...all at once. So people got offers very fast for certain offices like Houston and Atlanta.

I think as long as you have a reason for being in an office then school isnt as big of a decider. However, if you are trying to get into an easier office just because its easier not because you have some big tie to Cleveland or wherever...well then you probably wont be successful. If you are from some smaller less popular place, then you definitely can make that office from a big name school. That said local schools tend to place strongest in their region. San Fran probably is loaded with Stanford folks, NYC with columbia, Chicago with Kellogg, Boston with HBS.

Reps will almost always be local though, but dont worry networking for MC is basically useless from what I heard. They just care about your background, how smart you are, and how well you do on the cases.

As far as internationals, I am not one but I know their on-campus opportunities are much slimmer than peopel with work authorization...MC will hire them, banks had been hiring them, tech companies usually arent bothered by it. In other industries it varies from pretty common to allow internationals to apply for jobs, to almost no companies in some areas allowing internationals to apply...CPG marketing is almost impossible to get into as an international, very few even interview and then you have the cultural differences that are always a concern.
Current Student
Send PM
River/Pelihu,

Can you guys comment on companies that recruit but don't actually come on campus?

When I tried to get a list of companies that recruit at Duke, the career office lady told me it really hard to provide such a list and it can often be misleading because schools will list a company as recruiting at their school, when in fact, all they are doing is posting a job opening, nobody actually comes to campus.

Does that kind of fall in between on-campus and self-initiated in terms of it's value? Does it really offer any advantage?

RF
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
refurb wrote:
River/Pelihu,

Can you guys comment on companies that recruit but don't actually come on campus?

When I tried to get a list of companies that recruit at Duke, the career office lady told me it really hard to provide such a list and it can often be misleading because schools will list a company as recruiting at their school, when in fact, all they are doing is posting a job opening, nobody actually comes to campus.

Does that kind of fall in between on-campus and self-initiated in terms of it's value? Does it really offer any advantage?

RF

Personally that sounds like a BS answer. Kellogg's and many other schools that I remember publish the list of the companies that come on campus, and I think every school should have that available. I mean they know who booked interview rooms and posted on those lists, it wouldnt be too hard to get that information. Maybe this year they had a huge drop in companies coming on campus so they said that or maybe it was who you talked to.

My views of the job postings. I think the majority of these posts are either from companies that recruit on campus already for other positions or they are companies that hire very few MBA's so they don't recruit anywhere or maybe at one or two schools in their immediate area. However, there are plenty of jobs posted by companies that recruit at other schools and in the end your chances aren't that great. The companies that already come on campus wont really treat you very different, these jobs are often are in areas that dont need large numbers of MBA's. Sometimes they recruit for these positions at other schools, at which point yes your chances are going to be less. The smaller ones, range from completely level playing field to no chance really...some are very location sensitive. I had an interview at a company in the whole interview was about why I wanted to be in that location fulltime (mind you this is an internship). These companies hire people with the idea of being longterm investments not like someone who hires 20 and know that in 5 years they probably will have half those people still there.

I still think that if you know the companies you want to be at go to the school where they show up on campus. If they dont recruit anywhere, then job postings will work. However, if you know they recruit at 5 schools and post on others job sites the ones the go to are where they will be doing the bulk of hiring...even for different positions.

If the career people wont tell you what you want. Talk to the club for the industry you want to look at, they should be able to tell you if the companies you want come on campus. We can get a list of all the companies based entirely off the bid data or even by going back into the oncampus deadlines. Students should know of a way to get you an accurate list of fulltime and internship recruiters.
Current Student
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
If the career people wont tell you what you want. Talk to the club for the industry you want to look at, they should be able to tell you if the companies you want come on campus. We can get a list of all the companies based entirely off the bid data or even by going back into the oncampus deadlines. Students should know of a way to get you an accurate list of fulltime and internship recruiters.

Thanks River!

I'm getting the sense that Duke is a little hesitant to provide such a list for fear that I'll use it as a checklist to decide whether or not to accept and ignore other important factors (I'm not that stupid). I actually first contacted the president of the health care club first and he sent me to someone at the career center.

In my situation that's actually kinda funny because I'm getting the sense that Duke is actually stronger than Tuck in terms of on-campus recruiting.

At any rate, I'm not taking any guff! :x They're not the ones dropping $100K in tuition. I just sent off a couple emails to both schools asking very specifically for a list of companies that recruited on-campus last year.

We'll see what kind of response I get.

RF
Current Student
Send PM
Thought I'd post a quick update.

I talked to the career office at both Duke and Tuck and was able to get a list of companies that recruited, on-campus at both schools last year. There was some hesitation on the part of Duke, as the career office contact wanted to make sure that I understood that not everyone finds a job through on-campus recruiting. I told her I was aware of that the top schools typically see 40-70% of students finding jobs through on-campus recruiting, most of the rest doing self-initiated job searches with or without help from alumni. She was happy my expectations were realistic.

I also learned that the two schools don't differ much when it comes to biotech/pharma recruiting. There are some region differences (Tuck is stronger in the New England area, Duke is stronger in the mid-west), but I would say that comparing both lists, there is close to 90% overlap between the two schools.

One interesting difference is that Tuck places a lot fewer students in biotech/pharma jobs than Duke does. There were ~10 big pharma and biotech companies that recruited on-campus at each school last year, however Duke placed students with almost every company while Tuck only placed students in three companies. The Tuck career office contact confirmed this when he said it took some extra effort to keep the companies coming back each year because they often leave empty handed.

So it begs the question, which is a better situation?

High placement rate
+ long-term relationships with companies
+ lots of alumni
- lots of on-campus competition from other students

Low placement rate
+ lots of attention from companies
- fewer alumni (although in Tuck's case, I've already talked to 3 alumni at companies I'm targeting)
- higher chance that a company that came last year won't be there this year

I have a feeling the competition thing is kind of irrelevant because companies rarely recruit at only one school. Even if you're the only person to get a second interview at your school, you're still up against the best from other top schools.

Comments?

PS Big thanks to River for pushing me to get the info I needed!!

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Technology Management
Schools:Fuqua, Anderson, Johnson, Ross
Send PM
refurb,

Good ground work! I am curious - did Duke provide you information on how many students were offered jobs at each company or was it just a list of companies that visited campus last year? Also, did you ask only about HC/biotech or all industries?

Thanks,
SV
Current Student
Send PM
svrider wrote:
refurb,

Good ground work! I am curious - did Duke provide you information on how many students were offered jobs at each company or was it just a list of companies that visited campus last year? Also, did you ask only about HC/biotech or all industries?

Thanks,
SV

SV,

If you check out the Duke 2007-2008 preliminary employment report here, it will tell you two things:

- who the top hiring companies at Duke are (name of company and number placed)
- which companies hired at least one Duke grad (it also shows which companies hired an international student)

In order to find out which companies came to campus to recruit last year I had to contact the career office and she looked it up on her computer and verbally told me the name of each company. I only asked about biotech/pharma, but I'm sure if you contact them, they'd be happy to share the info for your industry!

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
IMO with the information you have now I feel that there are only 2 primary factors that should guide your decision: 1) Which school do you personally like better/fit better with 2) Which school has the stronger overall reputation/brand (you probably feel dead set on your career path right now but most people change careers 7+ times so I think there is a real benefit to going to the school with the broadest and strongest overall reputation as a tiebreaker).

I don't think that recruiting should be a significant factor in your decision anymore. If both schools have 10 companies that come to campus, I think you're set. And even if Tuck loses 1-2 due to a lack of student interest, I don't think that should impact your decision. I think that's more than offset by the fact that at Tuck it seems you will be virtually guaranteed an interview with every single HC firm that comes to campus (10 companies showed up and only 3 were able to land a Tuck student so landing close lists should be pretty easy, if that fails then 50% of on campus interview slots are open for bidding and it doesn't seem like these slots will take too many bid points at Tuck). At Duke you also have those 10 companies plus the alumni network in HC (which seems to be stronger than Tuck's in that field) so you should land a good number of interviews there too. If both schools are going to give you the chance to sit on front of a company rep for a round 1 interview with about 10 of your target companies that's all you can ask for. After that it's all up to you. Therefore, I really think you should eliminate recruiting as a factor at this point. Good luck with your decision.

Disclaimer: admitted to both Tuck and Duke, 99.99% sure I will be attending Tuck
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
IMO with the information you have now I feel that there are only 2 primary factors that should guide your decision: 1) Which school do you personally like better/fit better with 2) Which school has the stronger overall reputation/brand (you probably feel dead set on your career path right now but most people change careers 7+ times so I think there is a real benefit to going to the school with the broadest and strongest overall reputation as a tiebreaker).

I don't think that recruiting should be a significant factor in your decision anymore. If both schools have 10 companies that come to campus, I think you're set. And even if Tuck loses 1-2 due to a lack of student interest, I don't think that should impact your decision. I think that's more than offset by the fact that at Tuck it seems you will be virtually guaranteed an interview with every single HC firm that comes to campus (10 companies showed up and only 3 were able to land a Tuck student so landing close lists should be pretty easy, if that fails then 50% of on campus interview slots are open for bidding and it doesn't seem like these slots will take too many bid points at Tuck). At Duke you also have those 10 companies plus the alumni network in HC (which seems to be stronger than Tuck's in that field) so you should land a good number of interviews there too. If both schools are going to give you the chance to sit on front of a company rep for a round 1 interview with about 10 of your target companies that's all you can ask for. After that it's all up to you. Therefore, I really think you should eliminate recruiting as a factor at this point. Good luck with your decision.

Disclaimer: admitted to both Tuck and Duke, 99.99% sure I will be attending Tuck

YES! Fuqua still stands a 0.01% chance. Go to Blue Devil Weekend.
GMAT Club Bot