Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 05:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

On completing both the course in experimental design and the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 79 [2] , given: 157

GMAT Tests User
On completing both the course in experimental design and the [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 22:23
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (02:51) correct 49% (01:27) wrong based on 265 sessions
On completing both the course in experimental design and the developmental psychology course, Angela will have earned a degree in psychology. Since experimental design, which must be completed before taking developmental psychology, will not be offered until next term, it will be at least two terms before Angela gets her psychology degree

If the statements above are all true, which one of the following must also be true?

(A) The developmental psychology course Angela needs to take requires two terms to complete.
(B) The course in experimental design is an easier course than the course in developmental psychology.
(C) There are no prerequisites for the course in experimental design.
(D) Anyone who earns a degree in psychology from the university Angela attends will have completed the course in experimental design.
(E) Once Angela completes the developmental psychology course, she will have earned a degree in psychology.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

Last edited by pqhai on 11 Sep 2013, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.
Correct the question
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [2] , given: 0

Re: On completing both the course [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 10:44
This post received
KUDOS
D is absolutely wrong. It's a pretty big leap going from requirements specific for Angela to requirements for everyone at the university. Just because Angela needs to complete both courses to get the degree does not mean it has to be the same for everyone else.

E is the correct response. The stimulus clearly states that once Angela finishes both experimental design and developmental psychology, she will have earned the degree. Hence, it follows that if she completes the developmental psychology course, she will have earned a degree in psychology.

OP needs to change the credited OA.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,Insead,LBS,IMD,Kellog,Haas,Duke
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 13

Re: On completing both the course [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 23:15
This post received
KUDOS
will go with D

Whatever you do, Do it SINCERELY!!!

GOD help those who help themselves....:)

1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 947 [1] , given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: On completing both the course [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 07:49
This post received
KUDOS
Vote for E.

(D) Anyone who earns a degree in psychology from the university Angela attends will have completed the course in experimental design.

The author has mentioned that by giving exam Exp and dev , one can earn the degree of psychology. What if giving exam A and B also help someone earning the same degree?
PHD and MBBS both give doctoral degrees, do we have to give same exams?
This is just over generalization.
Moreover, what if these 2 subjects are the last 2 elective subjects? and not the core part of core-curriculum?
in that case others do not have to complete the exp design. This answer actually reverses the causal relationship.

(E) Once Angela completes the developmental psychology course, she will have earned a degree in psychology.

Since without Exp she can not complete dev course => she will have earned a degree after the course.

Comments welcome.

BlueRobin: I would suggest you to write the question properly and if possible on your first post do not ask your question, instead reply to the same post, this will certainly avoid prejudicial inclination towards any option.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 81 [1] , given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: On completing both the course [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2011, 07:55
This post received
KUDOS
D is wrong , no where is it stated that experimental design course is needed for a degree in psychology.

the question is specific to angela and hence E.

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: On completing both the course [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 22:57
I disagree with the OA.

I think it should be E.

The arguments said that if A finishes both Exp and Dev course, she will earn the degree. However, it doesn't said Exp or Dev is required for the degree. It just may happen that these two are elective and she needs to complete her degree. Therefore i think answer D is wrong.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,Insead,LBS,IMD,Kellog,Haas,Duke

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 13

Re: On completing both the course [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 23:19
gautrang wrote:
I disagree with the OA.

I think it should be E.

The arguments said that if A finishes both Exp and Dev course, she will earn the degree. However, it doesn't said Exp or Dev is required for the degree. It just may happen that these two are elective and she needs to complete her degree. Therefore i think answer D is wrong.

for me it looks like both D and E are good!!!!!!!!!!!

Whatever you do, Do it SINCERELY!!!

GOD help those who help themselves....:)

VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: On completing both the course [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 00:35
I think it's C... the main point is that the course will be completed in two terms. by the way is this question complete because i couldnt find the question stem anywhere!!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: On completing both the course [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 01:50
i think D
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: On completing both the course [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 03:17
BlueRobin wrote:
On completing both the course in experimental design and the developmental psychology course, Angela will have earned a degree in psychology. Since experimental design, which must be completed before taking developmental psychology, will not be offered until next term, it will be at least two terms before Angela gets her psychology degree

(A) The developmental psychology course Angela needs to take requires two terms to complete.
(B) The course in experimental design is an easier course than the course in developmental psychology.

D,E are close, so explain why if choosing one over other.

Answer is d. The question says One has to complete ED and DP to get Psycho degree. Therefore, anyone who has got the degree must have completed ED.

Completing ED and DP does not mean Degree in Psycho. There can be other exams to clear before getting the degree.

Hope I'm clear.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 50

Re: On completing both the course [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 21:58
rgtiwari wrote:
BlueRobin wrote:

Answer is d. The question says One has to complete ED and DP to get Psycho degree. Therefore, anyone who has got the degree must have completed ED.

Completing ED and DP does not mean Degree in Psycho. There can be other exams to clear before getting the degree.

Hope I'm clear.

My vote is for D. I agree with rgtiwari.

Xmarksthespot wrote:
D is absolutely wrong. It's a pretty big leap going from requirements specific for Angela to requirements for everyone at the university. Just because Angela needs to complete both courses to get the degree does not mean it has to be the same for everyone else.

I do not agree. The fact that Angela has to wait for at least 2 terms to complete experimental design signifies the importance of the course and it should be a mandatory course for all students.

:good Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog :thanks

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: On completing both the course [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 01:51
ezhilkumarank wrote:

I do not agree. The fact that Angela has to wait for at least 2 terms to complete experimental design signifies the importance of the course and it should be a mandatory course for all students.

Wrong, Angela doesn't have to wait 2 terms to complete exp des, she needs only 1 term to finish it and then another term to finish psy, complete both and she gets her degree.

There is no where in the argument where it is said that both these courses are required for the degree. It just required for Angela, that's all we know. To conclude: "ALL" is too extreme. Like I said, it could just be 2 elective courses that Angela has to finish to get enough credit to get her degree.

D is WRONG.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: On completing both the course [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 02:30
D for me.

Trying hard to achieve something unachievable now....

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: On completing both the course [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 06:07
My vote for E

D seems to make the assumption that whatever is applicable for Angela is applicable for everyone in the university.

My gmat story
MGMAT1 - 630 Q44V32
MGMAT2 - 650 Q41V38
MGMAT3 - 680 Q44V37
GMATPrep1 - 660 Q49V31
Knewton1 - 550 Q40V27

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 157

GMAT Tests User
Re: On completing both the course [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 22:09
BlueRobin wrote:

Available information

On completing X and Y, Angie will get certified.
One must take up X before Y.

D)Anyone who gets certfied, had completed X. Yes makes sense.
E)On the completion of Y, One gets certified, Maybe cant say for sure.

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 104

Re: On completing both the course [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 22:25
Guys.. a instructor from Kaplan says - (check out http://www.beatthegmat.com/lsar-cr-psyc ... 39164.html)
Quote:
Either the original poster mistranscribed the problem or else mistranscribed the OA. This is an inference question requiring skill in formal logic (for that reason, it is unlikely that you would get a question like this on the GMAT).

The first sentence of the passage reads:

"On completing both the course in experimental design and the developmental psychology course, Angela will have earned a degree in psychology."

This yields the following conditoinal statement:

If she completes ED AND DP, then she will have earned her psych degree.

The second sentence tells us that ED MUST be completed before DP. Therefore:

If someone has completed DP, then they have also completed ED.

Therefore, if she completes DP, then it is sufficient to conclude that she has also completed ED. And if she completes both DP and ED, then it is sufficient to conclude that she will have earned her psych degree.

Accordingly, Choice E MUST be correct.

Choice D must be wrong. It improperly reverses the initial conditional statement (without negating).

That is, in the first conditional statement, her having earned a psych degree is a conclusion or necessary condition. Choice D is trying to use her having earned a psych degree as a trigger or sufficient condition.

For example, if you are a dog, then you are definitely a mammal. Does that mean that if you are a mammal, you are definitely a dog? That is what choice D is doing.

Folks, GMAT does NOT test these formal logic subtleties.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 289 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: On completing both the course [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 22:25
The answer is E.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 126

Kudos [?]: 614 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: On completing both the course [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 23:24
Expert's post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: On completing both the course [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 05:06
E
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 121

Re: On completing both the course in experimental design and the [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2013, 04:39
Why is there no question at all? only text and answers
Re: On completing both the course in experimental design and the   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2013, 04:39