Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

On nearing the Earth, charged particles coming from the Sun

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

On nearing the Earth, charged particles coming from the Sun [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2009, 06:13
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

48% (01:41) correct 52% (00:43) wrong based on 271 sessions
On nearing the Earth, charged particles coming from the Sun tend to be deflected toward the North and South poles by the Earth's magnetic field.

(A) charged particles coming from the Sun tend to be deflected toward the North and South poles by the Earth's magnetic field
(B) charged particles that come from the Sun tend to be deflected toward the North and South poles by the Earth's magnetic field
(C) charged particles tend to be deflected as they come from the Sun toward the North and South poles by the Earth's magnetic field
(D) the Earth's magnetic field tends to deflect charged particles that come from the Sun toward the North and South poles
(E) the Earth's magnetic field tends to deflect toward the North and South poles charged particles coming from the Sun

I was stuck between A & B..

What is the difference between "coming from the Sun" and "that come from the Sun"?

I'll post up the OA shortly :)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- charged particles [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2009, 06:24
cici wrote:
tend to be deflected toward the North and South poles by the
Earth's magnetic field

A) charged particles coming from the Sun tend to be deflected toward the North and South poles by the Earth's magnetic field

B) charged particles that come from the Sun tend to be deflected toward the North and South poles by the Earth's magnetic field

C) charged particles tend to be deflected as they come from the Sun toward the North and South poles by the Earth's magnetic field

D) the Earth's magnetic field tends to deflect charged particles that come from the Sun toward the North and South poles

E) the Earth's magnetic field tends to deflect toward the North and South poles charged particles coming from the Sun

What is the difference between "coming from the Sun" and "that come from the Sun"?

I guess I will choose A over B.
In B that come from the Sun modified particles. The meaning would be only those particles come from the Sun tend to be deflected.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: La Martiniere for Boys
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- charged particles [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2009, 07:56
This post received
KUDOS
Both a and b seem right to me. I'll go with b.

Need someone who can explain.

Thanks
rampuria

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- charged particles [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2009, 08:54
This post received
KUDOS
i thought "coming" in A sounded awkward, so I'll go with B.
What's OA?
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 151 [1] , given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- charged particles [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2009, 09:53
This post received
KUDOS
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 174 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- charged particles [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2009, 10:34
This post received
KUDOS
I will choose B over A. To me "coming" in A is redundant. "Charge particles from the Sun" should be sufficient.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 70 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- charged particles [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2009, 10:39
This post received
KUDOS
scthakur wrote:
I will choose B over A. To me "coming" in A is redundant. "Charge particles from the Sun" should be sufficient.

Your reasoning is not convincing. Even in choice B it has the charged particles that come from the sun.
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- charged particles [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2009, 10:55
This post received
KUDOS
cici wrote:
Earth's magnetic field

A) charged particles coming from the Sun tend to be deflected toward the North and South poles by the Earth's magnetic field

B) charged particles that come from the Sun tend to be deflected toward the North and South poles by the Earth's magnetic field

C) charged particles tend to be deflected as they come from the Sun toward the North and South poles by the Earth's magnetic field

D) the Earth's magnetic field tends to deflect charged particles that come from the Sun toward the North and South poles

E) the Earth's magnetic field tends to deflect toward the North and South poles charged particles coming from the Sun

B sounds as if the charged particles come from many sources and only the ones that come from the sun get deflected. The original sentence didn't indicate this. So, I would choose A over B.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC- charged particles [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2009, 13:45
This post received
KUDOS
I'd go with A, just because of "nearing", just sounds more parallel to me really.
7 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 140 [7] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- charged particles [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2009, 14:08
This post received
KUDOS
A.
Below I have copied relevant sections of A and B.

A. On nearing the Earth, charged particles coming from the Sun
B. On nearing the Earth, charged particles that come from the Sun

1. Highlighted portions are modifiers of noun phrase - "charged particles"
2. In isolation, the whole noun phrase (incl blue bit) may mean the same thing
3. The difference between A and B is that the modifier "coming from the Sun" takes its action from "charged particles" - this is exactly what we need since "On nearing the Earth" implies that "charged particles" are in action at a certain point in time and we need a modifier that is consistent with the timing of this action. "that come from the Sun" in B, on the other hand, creates ambiguity as to the timing of "come" (can "nearing" and "coming" happen at different points in time?? No.)

Sorry if my explanation is not clear, but I feel the general concept itself is a complicated one.

cici wrote:
Earth's magnetic field

VP
VP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- charged particles [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2009, 23:19
I think A is better than B. agree with the explanation given by botivroy
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: SC- charged particles [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2009, 00:02
Thank you for wonderful explanations!

Now I clearly see why A is better than B!

The OA is A :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Fuqua
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- charged particles [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2009, 19:58
botirvoy wrote:
Below I have copied relevant sections of A and B.

A. On nearing the Earth, charged particles coming from the Sun
B. On nearing the Earth, charged particles that come from the Sun

1. Highlighted portions are modifiers of noun phrase - "charged particles"
2. In isolation, the whole noun phrase (incl blue bit) may mean the same thing
3. The difference between A and B is that the modifier "coming from the Sun" takes its action from "charged particles" - this is exactly what we need since "On nearing the Earth" implies that "charged particles" are in action at a certain point in time and we need a modifier that is consistent with the timing of this action. "that come from the Sun" in B, on the other hand, creates ambiguity as to the timing of "come" (can "nearing" and "coming" happen at different points in time?? No.)

Clear and crisp explanation. Thank you.
VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- charged particles [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2009, 12:14
[quote="botirvoy"

Sorry if my explanation is not clear, but I feel the general concept itself is a complicated one.

[/quote]

Do you mind taking another stab?

I dont see how B is creating any ambiguity.

I felt that B is actually better because it uses that to clearly modify C P
SVP
SVP
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- charged particles [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2009, 19:20
agree with A..

nearing .. means --> particles are coming....

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: SC- charged particles [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2009, 23:38
A is my choice because B is a non-redundant form of a.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 58

Re: SC- charged particles [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 08:46
cici wrote:
On nearing the Earth, charged particles coming from the Sun tend to be deflected toward the North and South poles by the Earth's magnetic field.

(A) charged particles coming from the Sun tend to be deflected toward the North and South poles by the Earth's magnetic field
-->coming from the sun matches more with "nearing". When something is coming it is nearing.
(B) charged particles that come from the Sun tend to be deflected toward the North and South poles by the Earth's magnetic field
-->a close choice but "that come from the sun" is a little different from "coming from the sun"
(C) charged particles tend to be deflected as they come from the Sun toward the North and South poles by the Earth's magnetic field
-->wordy and awkward, they properly modifies charged particles though
(D) the Earth's magnetic field tends to deflect charged particles that come from the Sun toward the North and South poles
-->charged particles should be near the coma because the phrase before the coma is not modifying the Earth's magnetic field
(E) the Earth's magnetic field tends to deflect toward the North and South poles charged particles coming from the Sun
-->eliminate, same reason for D

I guessed between A and B just because it sounded better. I did attempt to break it down after my answer though, but I don't think it is sufficient.

I'm trying to not just answer the problem but to explain how I came up with my answer. If I am incorrect or you have a better method please PM me your thoughts. Thanks!

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1426 [0], given: 245

Re: SC- charged particles [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 09:32
Expert's post
The problem with this question is that no other forum is carrying it. We are not able to know whether this is an OG or GPREP sample. While the OA is available, there is no OE to understand the thesis behind the right choice. Nor is there a definite precedence or concept of choosing a present participle over a relative pronoun, where the relative pronoun seems to clearly refer to the noun touching it.

IMO, where there is a directly related pronoun that solidly modifies a preceding noun, then choosing a present participle instead may not be that right. A present participle is resorted to in situations when the modifier is unable to modify the preceding noun and therefore is required to modify the entire phrase lying before. In the given case, choice A using the participle ‘coming’ can only play second fiddle to choice B . But this is just my feeling.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Status: "You never fail until you stop trying." ~Albert Einstein~

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

Re: SC- charged particles [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 22:36

I chose A over B because A makes it clear that the sun is actively emitting charged particles. Choice B can be interpreted as the charged particle deflecting itself towards the north and south poles [not possible].
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- charged particles [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 22:53
A is better option than others.
i ll go with A.