Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2016, 00:41
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

On stage, the force of Carricks personality and the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2006
Posts: 743
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

On stage, the force of Carricks personality and the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2007, 14:46
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

89% (01:30) correct 11% (00:54) wrong based on 15 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

On stage, the force of Carrick’s personality and the vividness of his acting disguised the fact he was, which his surviving velvet suit shows, a short man.
(A) he was, which his surviving velvet suit shows,
(B) he was, and it is his surviving velvet suit that shows it,
(C) of him being, as his surviving velvet suit shows,
(D) that he was, as his surviving velvet suit shows,
(E) shown in his surviving velvet suit, that he was
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 1104
Location: London
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 0

Re: possesive pronoun [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2007, 15:06
[quote="asaf"]On stage, the force of Carrick’s personality and the vividness of his acting disguised the fact he was, which his surviving velvet suit shows, a short man.
(A) he was, which his surviving velvet suit shows,--which is redundant
(B) he was, and it is his surviving velvet suit that shows it,--can be shortlist, but brevity is GMAT thing.
(C) of him being, as his surviving velvet suit shows,- the fact of him doesnt make sense
(D) that he was, as his surviving velvet suit shows,--correct use of that, also it is shorter than B
(E) shown in his surviving velvet suit, that he was--what is the fact?

D
the fact that is a correct idiom
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1459
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 0

Re: possesive pronoun [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2007, 15:42
asaf wrote:
On stage, the force of Carrick’s personality and the vividness of his acting disguised the fact he was, which his surviving velvet suit shows, a short man.
(A) he was, which his surviving velvet suit shows,
(B) he was, and it is his surviving velvet suit that shows it,
(C) of him being, as his surviving velvet suit shows,
(D) that he was, as his surviving velvet suit shows,
(E) shown in his surviving velvet suit, that he was


This problem goes against what I know. I don't see anything in here that is correct. My understanding is that you CANNOT use possessive noun to refer back to either subject or object. Every answer choices is against what I know.

If I have to pick one, I will pick D.

Can someone explain?
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 1104
Location: London
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 0

Re: possesive pronoun [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2007, 16:32
bkk145 wrote:
asaf wrote:
On stage, the force of Carrick’s personality and the vividness of his acting disguised the fact he was, which his surviving velvet suit shows, a short man.
(A) he was, which his surviving velvet suit shows,
(B) he was, and it is his surviving velvet suit that shows it,
(C) of him being, as his surviving velvet suit shows,
(D) that he was, as his surviving velvet suit shows,
(E) shown in his surviving velvet suit, that he was


This problem goes against what I know. I don't see anything in here that is correct. My understanding is that you CANNOT use possessive noun to refer back to either subject or object. Every answer choices is against what I know.

If I have to pick one, I will pick D.

Can someone explain?


if you see nothing proper go for the shortest, it is a GMAT rule. Short Concise, Clear
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2007
Posts: 126
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: possesive pronoun [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2007, 16:53
asaf wrote:
On stage, the force of Carrick’s personality and the vividness of his acting disguised the fact he was, which his surviving velvet suit shows, a short man.
(A) he was, which his surviving velvet suit shows,
(B) he was, and it is his surviving velvet suit that shows it,
(C) of him being, as his surviving velvet suit shows,
(D) that he was, as his surviving velvet suit shows,
(E) shown in his surviving velvet suit, that he was



If we strictly follow the rule of possesive then no choice is correct. However, I have to pick an answer from this then I will pick E.

The reasons:
A:Wrong use of Which. Which is used to refer to immediate noun.
B: Wordy and ackward
C: of him being is unidiomatic.
D: Better of the previous three choice but I eliminate this one as well for two reasons the clause "his surviving velevt suit shows" is in present tense and rest all are in past tense. And second reason "that he was short" is better when mentioned together. Putting an adjective too far away is not good for clarity of the sentence.
Some of these errors are in choice ABC as well.
E: Best of all as it does not have any of above problems. However, I still believe that he can not refer to Carrick becasue it is never mentioned in the sentence.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Posts: 583
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

Re: possesive pronoun [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2007, 17:08
asaf wrote:
On stage, the force of Carrick’s personality and the vividness of his acting disguised the fact he was, which his surviving velvet suit shows, a short man.
(A) he was, which his surviving velvet suit shows,
(B) he was, and it is his surviving velvet suit that shows it,
(C) of him being, as his surviving velvet suit shows,
(D) that he was, as his surviving velvet suit shows,
(E) shown in his surviving velvet suit, that he was


I am not sure if I would say this question falls into the category of possessive pronoun problem.
I am chosing D because I think we need "that" after fact.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2006
Posts: 743
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Re: possesive pronoun [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2007, 19:10
ashkrs wrote:

I am not sure if I would say this question falls into the category of possessive pronoun problem.
I am chosing D because I think we need "that" after fact.


ashkars,
Please share why you say possessive noun/pronoun rules dont apply here?
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Posts: 583
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

Re: possesive pronoun [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2007, 10:22
asaf wrote:
ashkrs wrote:

I am not sure if I would say this question falls into the category of possessive pronoun problem.
I am chosing D because I think we need "that" after fact.


ashkars,
Please share why you say possessive noun/pronoun rules dont apply here?


What I intended to say is though this question has possessive pronoun but the underlined part ( which has the problem ) has nothing to do with that.
Most of the gmat question has possessive pronoun and the question(options) will be centered around them . Here we have a possessive pronoun but I dont think the options are centered around that.
I am not sure if I have explained it good . But I would have posted this question I would not have had a subject like "possessive pronoun".
Just a thought buddy ..dont kill me !
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2006
Posts: 743
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Re: possesive pronoun [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2007, 20:02
ashkrs wrote:
asaf wrote:
ashkrs wrote:

I am not sure if I would say this question falls into the category of possessive pronoun problem.
I am chosing D because I think we need "that" after fact.


ashkars,
Please share why you say possessive noun/pronoun rules dont apply here?


What I intended to say is though this question has possessive pronoun but the underlined part ( which has the problem ) has nothing to do with that.
Most of the gmat question has possessive pronoun and the question(options) will be centered around them . Here we have a possessive pronoun but I dont think the options are centered around that.
I am not sure if I have explained it good . But I would have posted this question I would not have had a subject like "possessive pronoun".
Just a thought buddy ..dont kill me !


Dude,
All my limited knowledge in possessive pronouns was telling me that aint right or I don't have a complete picture, so the query to you was an effort to teach me what I am missing...

I believe this question has something to do with possessive pronouns as 'he' does not have a noun to refer to or does it?
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Posts: 583
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

Re: possesive pronoun [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2007, 08:24
asaf wrote:
ashkrs wrote:
asaf wrote:
ashkrs wrote:

I am not sure if I would say this question falls into the category of possessive pronoun problem.
I am chosing D because I think we need "that" after fact.


ashkars,
Please share why you say possessive noun/pronoun rules dont apply here?


What I intended to say is though this question has possessive pronoun but the underlined part ( which has the problem ) has nothing to do with that.
Most of the gmat question has possessive pronoun and the question(options) will be centered around them . Here we have a possessive pronoun but I dont think the options are centered around that.
I am not sure if I have explained it good . But I would have posted this question I would not have had a subject like "possessive pronoun".
Just a thought buddy ..dont kill me !


Dude,
All my limited knowledge in possessive pronouns was telling me that aint right or I don't have a complete picture, so the query to you was an effort to teach me what I am missing...

I believe this question has something to do with possessive pronouns as 'he' does not have a noun to refer to or does it?


I think a part me agrees with you.But again I may be totally wrong . When I first look into this question , none of the answers seemed correct to me. I guess these are some types of question where I can afford to be wrong.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Posts: 213
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2007, 08:31
The best available answer is D because it uses the correct use of "that" after the fact. But the use of pronoun is wrong.

E cannot be right as it is changing teh intended meaning.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2009
Posts: 309
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 444 [0], given: 22

Re: possesive pronoun [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2009, 19:23
Check this link for more detailed explanation on how GMAT considers 'Possesive Poison' , it may be a bit controversial

http://www.urch.com/forums/gmat-sentenc ... post296855
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Posts: 366
Schools: Kellogg School of Management
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 3

Re: possesive pronoun [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2009, 08:07
D .... the fact that is req'd. also the modifying clause 'as the surviving ...shows'... is best in this choice
_________________

_______________________________________________________________________________
My GMAT Story: http://gmatclub.com/forum/750-q-50-v42-thank-you-gmat-club-82610.html

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 9844
Followers: 843

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: On stage, the force of Carricks personality and the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2016, 11:20
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: On stage, the force of Carricks personality and the   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2016, 11:20
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
forces causing the disaster 2. forces that caused the eybrj2 3 09 Feb 2012, 19:22
Work-force MSDHONI 5 09 May 2011, 13:52
5 In the initial planning stages, the condominium corporation JCLEONES 4 05 Feb 2008, 11:25
In the initial planning stages, the condominium corporation AugiTh 1 24 Jul 2007, 13:00
Like Haydn, Schubert wrote a great deal for the stage, but Amit05 9 20 May 2007, 01:58
Display posts from previous: Sort by

On stage, the force of Carricks personality and the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.