Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jun 2015, 23:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

On the coordinate plane is the point(0,0) closer to the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

On the coordinate plane is the point(0,0) closer to the [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2007, 20:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
On the coordinate plane is the point(0,0) closer to the point (u,v) then to the point (u,v+1)?

1.u+ v2(read as v square)= -1
2.v<0

Only Explanations and approach please .I know the answer.
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 0

Re: Challenge DS [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2007, 20:53
dreamgmat1 wrote:
On the coordinate plane is the point(0,0) closer to the point (u,v) then to the point (u,v+1)?

1.u+ v2(read as v square)= -1
2.v<0

Only Explanations and approach please .I know the answer.

I got B, what's the OA?

If you look closely at the question, origin of the coordinate plane can only be closer to (u,v) than (u,v+1) when v is positive. So if we find out about the sign of v, we can determine if (u,v+1) is closer or not.

(1) u + v^2 = -1. In this case, we know u is positive, but nothing about v. INSUFFICIENT.

(2) Knowing that v<0 answers the question. In this case, (u,v+1) is actually closer to the origin than (u,v). SUFFICIENT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2007, 10:36
We dont need to know a lot to answer this question. first thing is to look at a graph. We kow that it is going to be a straight line, and that a line is the shortest distance between two points.

Now if we look at a graph, and set V to O...and look at a line for any value of x. If 1 is added to Y we see that the line gets longer (becomes the hypotenuse of the triangle formed in the two lines) however if one is taken away from y the opposite is true, so we need to figure out which direction Y is heading, toward the X axis or away from the x axis.

If x heads toward the x axis it will get shorter if it moves away from the x axis it will get longer...

If V is less than -1/2 the line will always get shorter..V>-1/2 the line will get longer.

I Insufficient, it only tells us that X is negative
II turns out to be also insufficient since 0>V>-1/2 is also possible.

together is also insufficient since 0>v>-1. For instance V = -1/2 and U=-5/4

It seems to me that E is in order.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2007, 11:02
E.

I thought B at first too, but then i realized that v can be between -1/2 and 0. in this case, (u,v) is closer to the origin than (u,v+1) is.

S1+S2 only tells us that u is negative, but we can still have the same situation. if v is very small, ie -10, then (u,v+1) is closer to the origin than (u,v). but just like before, if v is between 0 and -1/2, then (u,v) will be closer than (u,v+1).

nice catch defenestrate.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2007, 11:24
Challenge 22, Q11

Statement 1 was incorrectly copied from the Challenge. The correct statement is v + u^2 = -1

OA in white below...

OA is A
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2007, 11:54
Thanks for the correction hd54321
Yes the OA is A .
hd54321 do you remember all the questions from challenges :)
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2007, 13:02
dreamgmat1 wrote:
Thanks for the correction hd54321
Yes the OA is A .
hd54321 do you remember all the questions from challenges :)

I happen to remember this one very well because it's the only 1.5 point question that I got right out of 3 challenges. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2007, 15:49
Well, if the (1) statement is changed, the answer should be D. Both equations imply that v is negative and hence (u^2 + v^2) is larger than (u^2 + (v+1)^2) in both cases.

for every person who doesn't try because he is
afraid of loosing , there is another person who
keeps making mistakes and succeeds..

[#permalink] 22 Jun 2007, 15:49