Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Nov 2014, 05:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

On the Great Plains, nineteenth-century settlers used mud

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

On the Great Plains, nineteenth-century settlers used mud [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2010, 16:44
This post was
BOOKMARKED
On the Great Plains, nineteenth-century settlers used mud and grass to build their homes, doing it without timber and nails

(A) settlers used mud and grass to build their homes, doing it without
(B) settlers, using mud and grass to build their homes, did it without
(C) settlers used mud and grass to build their homes, making them while not having
(D) settlers used mud and grass to build their homes, making do without
(E) settlers’ homes were built of mud and grass, making do without

Please explain your answer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 112

Re: Difficult ques. - Great Plains [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2010, 18:34
amitdesai16 wrote:
On the Great Plains, nineteenth-century settlers used mud and grass to build their homes, doing it without timber and nails

(C) settlers used mud and grass to build their homes, making them while not having

Please explain your answer

I will go with B ..

C - making them while not having --- incorrect usage
" making do without in D and E doe not look to be the correct usage .

Between A and B ,
I preferred did it over doing
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 8

Re: Difficult ques. - Great Plains [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2010, 20:06
IMO D

A and B are out.

(C) can refer to settlers as well as home

(E) this makes sentence passive

OA please?

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

Re: Difficult ques. - Great Plains [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2010, 06:03

A for me.

In B the comma after settlers is looking naughty to me :shock:

R E S P E C T

Finally KISSedGMAT 700 times 450 to 700 An exprience

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 404 [2] , given: 0

Re: Difficult ques. - Great Plains [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2010, 12:02
This post received
KUDOS
Just to encourage the non-native speakers out there, an idiom that is familiar to native speakers, but not always to international students, comes into play here:

"to make do without" means "to get by without".

Nevertheless, focusing on the misuse of pronouns and making sure that the modifier "making" has someone to modify should get you to the right answer even if the idiom is new to you....

Sarai
GMAT Verbal Instructor at http://www.linkedin.com/company/ofek-gmat/online-gmat-tutoring-22305743/product?trk=biz_product
Email me at saraiyaseen@gmail.com

If this helped, kindly give Kudos! :wink:

Last edited by SaraiGMAT on 23 Jun 2010, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: Difficult ques. - Great Plains [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2010, 15:27
OA is D. Can an expert outline why is the answer D?
Current Student
Schools: Sloan R1, McCombs R1, Ross R1 (w/int), Haas R2, Kellogg R2
WE 1: Product Engineering/Manufacturing

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 26

Re: Difficult ques. - Great Plains [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2010, 18:51
A & B have poor pronoun agreement. What does "it" refer to? "build"? I believe it should be "doing so without" instead of "doing it without".

C is too wordy, E is passive as has been mentioned.

Answer is D.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 12

Re: Difficult ques. - Great Plains [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2010, 19:35
Also .. A and B are wrong because of 'it' .. 'it' is a pronoun and cannot be used to indicate an action .. 'doing so' or 'did so' will be more appropriate ..
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 36

Re: Difficult ques. - Great Plains [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2010, 21:08
making do without :shock:

SaraiGMAXonline wrote:
Just to encourage the non-native speakers out there, an idiom that is familiar to native speakers, but not always to international students, comes into play here:

"to make do without" means "to get by without".

Nevertheless, focusing on the misuse of pronouns and making sure that the modifier "making" has someone to modify should get you to the right answer even if the idiom is new to you....

Please press kudos if you like my post.

9 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 404 [9] , given: 0

Re: Difficult ques. - Great Plains [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2010, 03:01
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
]On the Great Plains, nineteenth-century settlers used mud and grass to build their homes, doing it without timber and nails

"IT" here is 'trying' to refer to the entire concept-- "build their homes". But 'it', a pronoun, must have a specific written noun to which it refers in the sentence.

Same problem as in A.

"Them" is a bit ambiguous, for it sounds as thought it could be referring to "mud and grass". Moreover, the meaning is incorrect. It makes sense to say that I did my homework while riding the bus, but it does not make sense to say that I did my homework while not having a pen. "While" should express to actions in process at the same time, but 'possessing' something is not a process, but just a state.

"Make do without" means "to get by without"-- Ex. We made do with what provisions we had at the camp site.

The subject here is homes. Because of the possessive (settlers') there are NO SETTLERS in the sentences. GMAX tip: The possessive works like an adjective!! So the present participle 'making' has nothing logical to describe.

Sarai
GMAT Verbal Instructor at http://www.linkedin.com/company/ofek-gmat/online-gmat-tutoring-22305743/product?trk=biz_product
Email me at saraiyaseen@gmail.com

If this helped, kindly give Kudos! :wink:

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

Re: Difficult ques. - Great Plains [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 13:00
A, B - incorrect - no clear referent for it

C - incorrect - wrong tense, use of while incorrect

E - incorrect - passive
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Difficult ques. - Great Plains [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 08:59
SaraiGMAXonline wrote:
]On the Great Plains, nineteenth-century settlers used mud and grass to build their homes, doing it without timber and nails

"IT" here is 'trying' to refer to the entire concept-- "build their homes". But 'it', a pronoun, must have a specific written noun to which it refers in the sentence.

Same problem as in A.

"Them" is a bit ambiguous, for it sounds as thought it could be referring to "mud and grass". Moreover, the meaning is incorrect. It makes sense to say that I did my homework while riding the bus, but it does not make sense to say that I did my homework while not having a pen. "While" should express to actions in process at the same time, but 'possessing' something is not a process, but just a state.

"Make do without" means "to get by without"-- Ex. We made do with what provisions we had at the camp site.

The subject here is homes. Because of the possessive (settlers') there are NO SETTLERS in the sentences. GMAX tip: The possessive works like an adjective!! So the present participle 'making' has nothing logical to describe.

The idiom "Make Do Without" is complete new to me, and I could not select answer D as it was looking very odd to me. Is there a list of idioms worth going through? I am not looking for thousands of them, but just a selected couple hundred.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 11

Re: Difficult ques. - Great Plains [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 23:38
SaraiGMAXonline wrote:

Great Explanation!!!
Thanks a lot!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Stanford '13 (D)
GPA: 3.11
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 28

Re: Difficult ques. - Great Plains [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 00:40
Thankfully an idiom I have come across earlier. :) Yup...D is the correct answer here.

Re-taking GMAT. Hope the charm works this time.. :)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 15

Re: Difficult ques. - Great Plains [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 19:24
"It" need proper reference. Eliminate:

"while not having" is word and awkward. Eliminate:

The "make do" is by the settlers not their houses. Eliminate:

Ans D
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Difficult ques. - Great Plains [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2010, 16:44

"you make do without luxuries..."

Above eliminates A, B and C.

E is going to hide the action of the settlers building the house... we are left with D.

Click that thing :) - Give kudos if u like this

CEO
CEO
Followers: 304

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: On the Great Plains, nineteenth-century settlers used mud [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2014, 19:02
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 47

Re: On the Great Plains, nineteenth-century settlers used mud [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2014, 20:15
This post received
KUDOS

incorrect portions highlighted.........

(A) settlers used mud and grass to build their homes, doingit without....WHAT WAS THIS "IT"
(B) settlers,using mud and grass to build their homes, did itwithout
(C) settlers used mud and grass to build their homes, making them while not having...WAS IT A SIMULTANEOUS ACT WITH SOMETHING ELSE ?
(D) settlers used mud and grass to build their homes, making do without.... CORRECT
(E) settlers’ homeswere builtof mud and grass, making do without.... BUT WE KNOW THEY BUILT IT THEMSELVES....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 27

Re: On the Great Plains, nineteenth-century settlers used mud [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2014, 06:43
SaraiGMAT wrote:

Same problem as in A.

your explanation of why C is wrong is wonderful and original. however, I want to supplement

"while" can be used to say about two long actions. this is correct. but "while" can also be used to say about a STATE which is limited, not forever.

I eat while I think over my problem

the "thinking" here is temperary not forever, and so, is correct.

the point is "while" can be used for actions or states which is limited.

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Re: On the Great Plains, nineteenth-century settlers used mud   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2014, 06:43