Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Apr 2014, 23:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Once the economic and social usefulness of the motorcar was

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

Once the economic and social usefulness of the motorcar was [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 20:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (01:35) correct 20% (00:39) wrong based on 5 sessions
Once the economic and social usefulness of the motorcar was demonstrated and with
its superiority to the horse being proved, much of the early hostility to it in rural
regions disappeared.
A) and with its superiority to the horse being
B) and its superiority over the horse had been
C) and its superiority to the horse
D) its superiority over the horse
E) with its superiority to the horse having been

Why ‘C’ is right?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 8

Re: Once the economic and social usefulness of the motorcar [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 21:29
You should mark the line to avoid confusion.

I do not think C is right.If I have to choose I would choose B (there are several reasons to do that)

I too need Kudos sometimes !!!!!!!!!!!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

Re: Once the economic and social usefulness of the motorcar [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 22:20
gmatcallow wrote:
You should mark the line to avoid confusion.

I do not think C is right.If I have to choose I would choose B (there are several reasons to do that)

However, in answer sheet it option 'C' is mentioned.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 46

Re: Once the economic and social usefulness of the motorcar [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 22:57
My answer is C.
First, we need "and" in the begining. So, eliminate D and E.
Second, the A and B in the compound clause need to be parallel. A uses "being proved" - Incorrect. B uses "had been proved." - Incorrect.
Left with C.

Cheers!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 75

Re: Once the economic and social usefulness of the motorcar [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 00:27
Once the economic and social usefulness of the motorcar was demonstrated and with
its superiority to the horse being proved, much of the early hostility to it in rural
regions disappeared.

D) its superiority over the horse
E) with its superiority to the horse having been

Two occasions are related and so we need a "and"to enlist them.These are;as follows,social usefulness of the motorcar
along with the superiority of motorcar to the horse

(D) & (E) out

Now, (A), (B) & (C)

A) and with its superiority to the horse being

with & being is unnecessary/incorrect
B) and its superiority over the horse had been
had been usage is incorrect with simple past "......usefulness of the motorcar was demonstrated ..." is incorrect
parallelism error along both sides of "and"

C) and its superiority to the horse
concise, clear & correct

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Verbal Expert
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 238

Kudos [?]: 1165 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Once the economic and social usefulness of the motorcar [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 08:50
Expert's post
Both events are happening simultaneously. Therefore, we must use the simple past tense to verb both the events. The first past tense event is 'was demonstrated' and the second event is ‘(was) proved. Hence choices with being, had been, having been are all gone.

When there are two events of the same direction that are joined, it is customary to use the conjunction “and”. Therefore, C is the pick
Re: Once the economic and social usefulness of the motorcar   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2012, 08:50