Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 19:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

One feature of the global food economy is the simultaneous

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 24

One feature of the global food economy is the simultaneous [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2012, 22:16
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (02:26) correct 37% (01:40) wrong based on 480 sessions
Hello,

Can someone Opine on the below problem:

One feature of the global food economy is the simultaneous import and export of the same items, a phenomenon known as “redundant trade.” In California, for example, domestic cherries are exported to Canada and Japan, while a nearly equivalent number of cherries are imported from Chile, Italy, and Germany. California also exports and imports nearly identical amounts of lettuce and almonds. Although shipping fresh fruits and vegetables is an expensive undertaking, there is a justifiable economic rationale for redundant trade.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the conclusion above?

A) Establishing international ties through trade facilitates access to other desired goods that are more efficiently produced abroad.
b) Undertaking free trade with one’s political allies helps to maintain international goodwill.
c) In recent years, consumers in California boycotted domestic cherries, demanding better working conditions for agricultural laborers in the state.
d) Local growers could sell their products at a premium in domestic markets.
e) The economic globalization of redundant trade allows for the sharing of cultural norms and
values.

Thanks.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 288 [1] , given: 11

Re: Help! One feature of the global food economy is [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2012, 22:58
This post received
KUDOS
Clearly (A)

(A) - CORRECT. If establishing trade ties enables access to better goods produced abroad, this itself is basis enough to trade
(B) - Out of scope. Not mentioned.
(C) - Applicable just to cherries and not in general. Not the right choice.
(D) - This opposes the conclusion rather than supporting it. Incorrect.
(E) - No economic impact. Out of scope.

GyanOne | http://www.GyanOne.com | +91 9899831738

Get a free detailed MBA profile evaluation

Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions blog

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 8

Re: Help! One feature of the global food economy is [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 00:05
I think the answer is A.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 24

Re: Help! One feature of the global food economy is [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 18:23
This post received
KUDOS
don't understand the link between one specific company and possibility to buy different goods. For ex if the company trade shoes wtf this company will need relationships concerning other goods?
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 60 [1] , given: 13

Re: Help! One feature of the global food economy is [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2012, 00:31
This post received
KUDOS
Key to answering this question is to find which answer choice talks about ECONOMIC SENSE.

A) Establishing international ties through trade facilitates access to other desired goods that are more efficiently produced abroad. CORRECT
b) Undertaking free trade with one’s political allies helps to maintain international goodwill. NO ECONOMIC SENSE.
c) In recent years, consumers in California boycotted domestic cherries, demanding better working conditions for agricultural laborers in the state. NO ECONOMIC SENSE.
d) Local growers could sell their products at a premium in domestic markets. NO ECONOMIC SENSE and weakens the argument by saying that redundant trade is bad economic sense.
e) The economic globalization of redundant trade allows for the sharing of cultural norms and
values. NO ECONOMIC SENSE, instead talks only about CULTURAL EXCHANGE. Probably a good politician but not a businessman ;)
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 332 [0], given: 109

Re: Help! One feature of the global food economy is [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2012, 14:30
+1 A

Notice that we need an economic justification.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: One feature of the global food economy is the simultaneous [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 11:32
i don't really get why answer choice C is wrong. In case people from California don't buy the domestic products anymore there are certainly economic reasons to import the goods since there is a market for foreign cherries in California.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 35

Re: One feature of the global food economy is the simultaneous [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 13:15
hellfridge wrote:
i don't really get why answer choice C is wrong. In case people from California don't buy the domestic products anymore there are certainly economic reasons to import the goods since there is a market for foreign cherries in California.

"Consumers boycotting" and "better labor conditions" are highly extraneous pieces of information. You should infer, but not infer too much. Choice A makes the most sense because everything in the answer sentence can be verified by the original paragraph.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 291

Re: One feature of the global food economy is the simultaneous [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2013, 02:51
hellfridge wrote:

You can look at this way too (C) talks only about cherries while the argument discusses about a variety of other products. Moreover the argument talks abt an economic rationale. The argument also uses terms such as redundant trade and economic rationale which imply that all this is a much bigger deal than just sale of cherries. Hence A.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 72

Re: One feature of the global food economy is the simultaneous [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2013, 12:56
This is a strengthen question. In strengthen questions,we are looking for an answer that will echo the stimulus and personalize it. You want to stay broad, and not get too specific, but at the same time, address the underlying issue. In this problem, we are looking for an answer that will justifies the economic trade.

One feature of the global food economy is the simultaneous import and export of the same items, a phenomenon known as “redundant trade.” In California, for example, domestic cherries are exported to Canada and Japan, while a nearly equivalent number of cherries are imported from Chile, Italy, and Germany. California also exports and imports nearly identical amounts of lettuce and almonds. Although shipping fresh fruits and vegetables is an expensive undertaking, there is a justifiable economic rationale for redundant trade.

A) Establishing international ties through trade facilitates access to other desired goods that are more efficiently produced abroad. Sounds promising. Identifies the conclusion -which is to addresses why economic trade makes sense- (some countries produce better goods than others, even if they are trading the same goods. )
b) Undertaking free trade with one’s political allies helps to maintain international goodwill. Out of scope. Does not address economic trade benefits.
c) In recent years, consumers in California boycotted domestic cherries, demanding better working conditions for agricultural laborers in the state. way too extreme and specific. The stimulus mentions import and export between several countries- this option only explains California's redundant trading.
d) Local growers could sell their products at a premium in domestic markets. Out of scope. Weakens the argument.
e) The economic globalization of redundant trade allows for the sharing of cultural norms and values. Out of scope. Does address a benefit of redundant economic trading, but sharing cultural norms and values can be achieved several ways- not only through trade. Therefore, E does not address the conclusion.

Hope that helps! :lol:

Kudos if my post was helpful! :)

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 413 [0], given: 210

Re: One feature of the global food economy is the simultaneous [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2014, 11:14
Why D is wrong ?
Exporting a surplus product, a nation can reduce product's percentage availability among imported products and such practice allows local growers to fetch above wholesale price for that product in the market. Even in India it happens that we export most of the good quality tea to other countries at good price and growers sell whatever remains in the local market at a competitive price equivalent to the price other imported tea.

Usually exporters export those items for which they can fetch good price in other country and import anything which can get good price in domestic market... Further option A is referring to some complex phenomenon rather than profit or loss.. which directly governs the direction of trade.

I think D is far much appropriate than A.

A) Establishing international ties through trade facilitates access to other desired goods that are more efficiently produced abroad.

if redundant-trade had been mentioned instead of just trade then it could have been nearest to the OA.
International ties can be established with normal trade as well. Thus, i think A is not better than D.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT Date: 04-30-2014
GPA: 3.24
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 118

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: One feature of the global food economy is the simultaneous [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2014, 15:54
PiyushK wrote:
Why D is wrong ?
Exporting a surplus product, a nation can reduce product's percentage availability among imported products and such practice allows local growers to fetch above wholesale price for that product in the market. Even in India it happens that we export most of the good quality tea to other countries at good price and growers sell whatever remains in the local market at a competitive price equivalent to the price other imported tea.

Usually exporters export those items for which they can fetch good price in other country and import anything which can get good price in domestic market... Further option A is referring to some complex phenomenon rather than profit or loss.. which directly governs the direction of trade.

if redundant-trade had been mentioned instead of just trade then it could have been nearest to the OA.
International ties can be established with normal trade as well. Thus, i think A is not better than D.

The point you are missing here is:

The products are not grown in India.We are talking about products grown in China & exported to Sri Lanka..So nowhere do the local growers benefit srom such a practice.
If we talk about local growers in California...the implied subject of the argument..we can see that it is out of scope as local growers have no role to play in this supply chain...
We cannot assume that the local growers that are discussed in the options are those belonging to Japan or chile so that your case stands valid

Hope its clear..Kudos if I helped..

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 413 [0], given: 210

Re: One feature of the global food economy is the simultaneous [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2014, 23:53
JusTLucK04 wrote:
PiyushK wrote:
Why D is wrong ?

The products are not grown in India.We are talking about products grown in China & exported to Sri Lanka..So nowhere do the local growers benefit srom such a practice.
If we talk about local growers in California...the implied subject of the argument..we can see that it is out of scope as local growers have no role to play in this supply chain...
We cannot assume that the local growers that are discussed in the options are those belonging to Japan or chile so that your case stands valid

I think local growers in option D is referring to growers in a country that is doing redundant trade,
and these growers are getting benefited by selling their yield at premium price in domestic market.

I mean; why we can not assume that local growers belongs to the country that is practicing redundant trade ?

Further argument wants us to look for some indirect benefit to someone, a benefit that can justify the rational behind redundant trade.

Can we compare the rational mentioned in option A and B ?

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT Date: 04-30-2014
GPA: 3.24
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 118

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: One feature of the global food economy is the simultaneous [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2014, 16:45
PiyushK wrote:
JusTLucK04 wrote:
PiyushK wrote:
Why D is wrong ?

I think local growers in option D is referring to growers in a country that is doing redundant trade,
and these growers are getting benefited by selling their yield at premium price in domestic market.

I mean; why we can not assume that local growers belongs to the country that is practicing redundant trade ?

Further argument wants us to look for some indirect benefit to someone, a benefit that can justify the rational behind redundant trade.

You are absolutely correct..Local growers belong to the country practicing redundant trade..California in our case...So how are these growers benefiting by selling their yield under redundant trade when the trade does not include the product produced by them or any other locally produced product...

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 72

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: One feature of the global food economy is the simultaneous [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2014, 06:55
Runner2 wrote:
Hello,

Can someone Opine on the below problem:

b) Undertaking free trade with one’s political allies helps to maintain international goodwill.
c) In recent years, consumers in California boycotted domestic cherries, demanding better working conditions for agricultural laborers in the state.
d) Local growers could sell their products at a premium in domestic markets.
values.

Thanks.

Conclusion:- there is a justifiable economic rationale for redundant trade.

A) Establishing international ties through trade facilitates access to other desired goods that are more efficiently produced abroad. - Strengthener - Have a point to justify the economic rationale for redundant trade
b) Undertaking free trade with one’s political allies helps to maintain international goodwill. - Out of scope - Good will has nothing to do with the Economic justification
c) In recent years, consumers in California boycotted domestic cherries, demanding better working conditions for agricultural laborers in the state. - Out of scope. Does not give info for conclusion to be true
d) Local growers could sell their products at a premium in domestic markets. - Out of scope. Does not give info for conclusion to be true
e) The economic globalization of redundant trade allows for the sharing of cultural norms and values. - Out of scope - Good will has nothing to do with the Economic justification

Regards,
Swami
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 72

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: One feature of the global food economy is the simultaneous [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2014, 07:13
PiyushK wrote:
JusTLucK04 wrote:
PiyushK wrote:
Why D is wrong ?

If locals sells their product is the domestic market - this has nothing to do with the redundant trade.
Conclusion says There is economic justification for Redundant trade.

And to strengthen this we need somthing that gives some more extra points for us to believe conclusion to be true.

D) says nothing about redundant trade and it weakens the conclusion
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 98

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: One feature of the global food economy is the simultaneous [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2014, 02:56
:idea: straight +1 for A, too many explanations already provided above..
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-17-2013
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 22

Re: One feature of the global food economy is the simultaneous [#permalink] New post 12 May 2014, 22:51
PiyushK wrote:
Why D is wrong ?

Hi,

D is wrong because it is saying that " Local growers could sell their products at a premium in domestic markets. "

It could have been correct it would have said that Local growers could sell their products at a premium in foreign domestic markets.

Thanks & Regards
Yodee

‘A good plan violently executed now is better than a
perfect plan executed next week.’

- General Georg S. Patton

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: WBUT - Class of 2011
GMAT Date: 01-06-2014
GPA: 2.6
WE: Research (Education)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 6

Re: One feature of the global food economy is the simultaneous [#permalink] New post 13 May 2014, 00:31
This post received
KUDOS
I will also for A. Good question.

If you like my post give me kudos.

Arindam Sur
Researcher, Academian

Re: One feature of the global food economy is the simultaneous   [#permalink] 13 May 2014, 00:31