Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 16:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

One lesson I have learned regardless of admission result

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 24 Apr 2007
Posts: 589
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
One lesson I have learned regardless of admission result [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 07:33
Humility. I used to think I was pretty good, and then I read profiles like this guy and I have to reconsider. The "average" member here can boast of accomplishments that would make them the elite of most companies.

While humbling, seeing what everyone else has accomplished is also motivating, it keeps me working, pushing myself to acheive. It also makes me hopeful. I don't know about you guys, but I work with alot of people who are just passing time at work. One reason I am so looking forward to whatever MBA program I go to (and why I want to go to the best one I possibly can) is to work with other people who have the same drive to succeed.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 195
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 07:43
Definitely. There will always be someone smarter, stronger, faster, or with "cooler" experiences than you. B-school is a bit intimidating to me since sometimes I feel like everyone there will be like that guy and there I will be, someone who has led a somewhat more "average" life. But at the same time it's very exciting since I will get exposure to so many different perspectives.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2007
Posts: 505
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 07:44
Ok, WOW...that is an amazing profile...makes mine look very very weak. At the same time, I really believe that everyone has a good story to tell, and it's all about how effective you can get your message across. There really can't be 1000 guys like him applying to HBS/GSB/Wharton etc. can there?
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 24 Apr 2007
Posts: 589
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 07:48
shmegs wrote:
Ok, WOW...that is an amazing profile...makes mine look very very weak. ...... There really can't be 1000 guys like him applying to HBS/GSB/Wharton etc. can there?


I hope not. Even if there are, hopefully they'll all just fight over H/S/W and let me get into Chicago/Berkeley/UCLA or Michigan. I don't realistically expect to get into Harvard anyway, but its fun to take a shot.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 08:13
Its good to be humble because when you show up at a top school there are going to be all types of people. People whose profiles are very impressive but they are down to earth. People who are stars and know it but also make sure everyone else knows it. People who don't appear impressive on paper but once you see them at work you can tell they are the best of the best at school. Going in with a big head is asking for trouble. That kid who is a star and lets you know it, is going to be the one everyone makes fun of behind his back. No one likes to be around that cocky person that lets you know he is more accomplished than you.

Judging by this boards success last year most everyone applying here will get into at least one of their top choices. There will be people who get into HBS, Columbia, GSB, Kellogg, MIT, Wharton, Tuck, Darden, Duke, Michigan, NYU, and hopefully someone gets into Stanford this year. Some posters off this board whose profiles amaze you might be your classmates or you may compete against them at MBA events down the road. Networking is very important at B-school and being that down to earth friendly guy everyone likes personally is going to build a lot more bridges than being the greatest person showing up if you don't have the personality to match your accomplishments.

It probably is going to be intimidating to show up the first day knowing some of your classmates are going to have accomplished a lot more already than you have. One advantage of this site is, most likely someone from here is going to be your classmate so you have a leg up with knowing people already when you show up.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2006
Posts: 963
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 08:34
i would rather be at a school where i am one of the lesser accomplished students, because then i would have more to gain working alongside the stars at the school
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 654 [0], given: 781

 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 08:41
This is a very good thread. thank you all. I think forums like this one and BW definitely serve to increase such awareness. However, comparing ourselves to others is only useful in some ways and is only healthy up to a certain point. Though this is really obvious, I think we have to be careful not to want to become someone else.

A lot of this is just intangible; there will be lots of peer pressure to accept a high paying job. The tougher ones amongst you will take a non-traditional path that you really like. How you balance your financial needs with your personal wishes will be your test.

Here's to Cliche Fridays: What would you do if you were not afraid?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 22 Apr 2007
Posts: 1097
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 09:42
Great thread. I agree with what riverripper said.

One thing that works for me is when I find myself in a group of highly accomplished people. I learned to be a lot more humble and down to earth when I was around some amazing people who had such a beautiful understanding of life.

Similarly every time I am around brilliant people that overwhelm me, after a while I find myself doing just as well as them (And sometimes better). And then, destiny moves me to another group of people who overwhelm me again .. and the cycle repeats. I think this is a large part of how I've grown in the past.

So, as dabots said, I like it when I am among people who are more accomplished than me or who overwhelm me.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 10:00
Great thread. Probably my last one before I leave this weekend.

I fully believe in the value of humility. Maybe because it's my Asian upbringing, but there really is no reason to boast. If you're good, people will find out somehow and "boast" for you. Since we're all human beings, no one likes to be around someone that makes them feel inferior all the time, so you'll make no friends if you're not modest and humble.

I've met more than my share of people from Harvard/Yale/Princeton or MIT who think they're "all that" (no offense to the humble H/Y/P/M people!), but when we take a class or work together, I out do them.

Some people may have better accomplishments on paper, partially because they're really smart and able, but also partially because they were in the right place at the right time. It doesn't mean much to compare against those accomplishments and conclude that you're inferior or otherwise. Just get to know the person, learn from him/her, and hope that they learn from you too.

I'm totally looking forward to b-school, especially if everyone there is top notch like the friends I've made here on GMATClub! I LOVE YOU MAN (OR WOMAN)! ;)
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2006
Posts: 1560
Location: Ann Arbor
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 10:33
I know an applicant who is a Guiness record holder and an Arjuna award winner. What blows me away about him is his humility despite his tremendous achievements.

I sincerely hope that he gets into his TOP choice school this year.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 22 Apr 2007
Posts: 1097
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 10:50
ncprasad wrote:
I know an applicant who is a Guiness record holder and an Arjuna award winner.


:shock: ... I guess I should apply in 2009 then :(

Okay, now bring me those hot-dogs. What's the running guinness record on the number of hot dogs that one can eat at one time?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 195
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 10:52
mNeo wrote:
ncprasad wrote:
I know an applicant who is a Guiness record holder and an Arjuna award winner.


:shock: ... I guess I should apply in 2009 then :(

Okay, now bring me those hot-dogs. What's the running guinness record on the number of hot dogs that one can eat at one time?


Something like 55 in 10 minutes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 12:11
jjanders wrote:
mNeo wrote:
ncprasad wrote:
I know an applicant who is a Guiness record holder and an Arjuna award winner.


:shock: ... I guess I should apply in 2009 then :(

Okay, now bring me those hot-dogs. What's the running guinness record on the number of hot dogs that one can eat at one time?


Something like 55 in 10 minutes


Joey Chestnut broke the world record at the Coney Island competition this year...66 in 12 minutes. Thats just a freak of nature right there and the guy isn't even that big.

Don't ask me how I know this, I just retain absolutely pointless information but somehow manage to forget lots of stuff I should remember.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2006
Posts: 963
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 12:15
riverripper wrote:
jjanders wrote:
mNeo wrote:
ncprasad wrote:
I know an applicant who is a Guiness record holder and an Arjuna award winner.


:shock: ... I guess I should apply in 2009 then :(

Okay, now bring me those hot-dogs. What's the running guinness record on the number of hot dogs that one can eat at one time?


Something like 55 in 10 minutes


Joey Chestnut broke the world record at the Coney Island competition this year...66 in 12 minutes. Thats just a freak of nature right there and the guy isn't even that big.

Don't ask me how I know this, I just retain absolutely pointless information but somehow manage to forget lots of stuff I should remember.


it was impressive how quickly he caught up to kobayashi who everybody thought was untouchable
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 2137
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 12:38
dabots wrote:
it was impressive how quickly he caught up to kobayashi who everybody thought was untouchable


from my recollection, kobayashi didn't lose by much. he also was playing injured. i wouldn't be surprised if he beats chestnut next year; i'm not so sure he'll break the record tho.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 03 Mar 2007
Posts: 981
Location: Hong Kong
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 16:12
Any guiness records for sleeping the longest time? With the heat in LA, that will be my goal..

I really respect the awesome folks both at GMATclub and in the real world, but what really gets the top notch respect among all you regular GMAT clubbers is your genuine humility and sincerity in helping each other out.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 2137
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 16:40
aviroop wrote:
Any guiness records for sleeping the longest time? With the heat in LA, that will be my goal..

I really respect the awesome folks both at GMATclub and in the real world, but what really gets the top notch respect among all you regular GMAT clubbers is your genuine humility and sincerity in helping each other out.


sleeping for the longest time?

You and me -- anytime, any place.

[edit] hmmm, that doesn't quite sound right. I guess all the more reason to revise essays over and over :oops:
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Feb 2007
Posts: 1024
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 17:47
kidderek wrote:
aviroop wrote:
Any guiness records for sleeping the longest time? With the heat in LA, that will be my goal..

I really respect the awesome folks both at GMATclub and in the real world, but what really gets the top notch respect among all you regular GMAT clubbers is your genuine humility and sincerity in helping each other out.


sleeping for the longest time?

You and me -- anytime, any place.

[edit] hmmm, that doesn't quite sound right. I guess all the more reason to revise essays over and over :oops:


LOL!!! I didn't catch the double-meaning of what you said until you aknowledged it yourself :-D
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 13 Mar 2007
Posts: 550
Schools: MIT Sloan
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 19:20
nervousgmat wrote:
kidderek wrote:
aviroop wrote:
Any guiness records for sleeping the longest time? With the heat in LA, that will be my goal..

I really respect the awesome folks both at GMATclub and in the real world, but what really gets the top notch respect among all you regular GMAT clubbers is your genuine humility and sincerity in helping each other out.


sleeping for the longest time?

You and me -- anytime, any place.

[edit] hmmm, that doesn't quite sound right. I guess all the more reason to revise essays over and over :oops:


LOL!!! I didn't catch the double-meaning of what you said until you aknowledged it yourself :-D


ROFL
  [#permalink] 31 Aug 2007, 19:20
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 One of the best techniques I learned from the Manhattan gmatpunjabi 0 21 Jan 2012, 13:05
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic My Experience / Lessons Learned: (A Complete Nightmare) rafilla442000 19 22 Dec 2010, 09:11
1 My GMAT Studying - Lessons Learned krypt 8 25 May 2010, 14:35
1 Lessons learned from Round 1 apps hokiegenius 0 18 Dec 2009, 19:59
Historical Admission Rates Regardless of Macro Economy jpong21 17 17 Jun 2008, 09:32
Display posts from previous: Sort by

One lesson I have learned regardless of admission result

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.