Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 10:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

One Man's Kaplan Classroom Prep. Review

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

One Man's Kaplan Classroom Prep. Review [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2003, 04:46
First post here.

I thought I would share my experience with Kaplan Classroom Prep. so that all of you can make and informed decision on whether it's for you.

Background: I took the GMAT in Feb. after preparing for 2 weeks using the PR onlne service. I am not sure if it was worth it being that I did not give it a fair shake but either way I underestimated the GMAT. I got a 470. After recieving this score I decided I needed to take test seriously and signed on for the Kaplan Classroom Prep Course.

Present Day: First of all the course is incredibly expesinsive! 1250!!! I figured it was worth it as I was expecting a 750. I know. I expected an awful damn lot. :lol: The class was prettty cool and the instructor a lot of fun and very knowledgeable. The only complaint I have is that there is entirely to much to learn in a two hour session that lasts about 4 weeks. There is no way humanly possible to absorb all the material you're given. Ahh! This leads me to their gimick. If you are unsatisfied with the your score you can take the class again for $200. It seems to me that you would almost have to. If you want to take full advantage of the course that is. There is to much material and very little time to get your homework assignments done between class. In short if you truly want to get your moneys worth expect to spend $1450. There was no way in hell I was palnning to do this!

Test Day: I took the GMAT Jul. 14th after just taking the course and not paying the extra $200 for the second go around. I scored a whopping..........500! :x I am lost and do not know what to do at this point. I guess it's back to the drawing board.

Summary: In short folks it's worth it if you know what the heck your getting into and accept the fact that you will need to do the course twice. So plan for 8 weeks rather than 4 weeks. Which they should have made more clear up front instead of mentioning it as a side point. I hope this helps someone. I am open for any questions or suggestions.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

PR is better [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2003, 06:35
I actually took Kaplan two years ago and didn't think it was very good. Now that I'm retaking the GMAT - I took PR. It is an 8 week class and I found it to be extremely helpful and have been scoring in the 650 - 700 range.

I know $1200 is a lot of money to take another class, but it pales in comparison to the $100,000 you'll pay for b-school.
Intern
Intern

PR is better [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2003, 06:35
I actually took Kaplan two years ago and didn't think it was very good. Now that I'm retaking the GMAT - I took PR. It is an 8 week class and I found it to be extremely helpful and have been scoring in the 650 - 700 range.

I know $1200 is a lot of money to take another class, but it pales in comparison to the $100,000 you'll pay for b-school.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2003, 07:04
What did you find to be the main differenc in the courses?
Intern
Intern

PR vs. Kaplan [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2003, 07:13
The GMAT is not a test of intelligence - it's a test of how well you take the GMAT exam. ETS takes the easiest concepts like geometry and pronoun usage and does everything in its power to make the problem look hard.

I felt that Kaplan spent too much time on content and not enough time on strategy/tricks/tips to get down to the answer quickly and efficiently.

PR covers the content, but focuses more on how to identity traps and how to pace yourself and how to guess effectively.

Also - the classes are much smaller so you get more focused attention.

Hope that helps.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2003, 07:36
:cool Thanks. Did you find that the books acomplished the same?
Intern
Intern

PR vs. Kaplan [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2003, 07:40
I think PR's books were great. As part of the course they give you the ETS OG and their book, which is different from what you buy in the store.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2003, 08:02
Okay, so there is a difference between the PR off the rack books and the Class book. Great info. Thanks.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2233

Kudos [?]: 8384 [0], given: 3645

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2003, 20:02
Expert's post
Can you please list the materials you get when you take Kaplan's Prep course? I heard they provide some special tests/questions.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2003, 09:24
1) GMAT Lesson Book
2) Home Study Book
3) Higher Score GMAT CD
4) Internet access to Wokshops & Quiz Banks
5) Access to anything in the testing center i.e. 7 more CAT tests and so on.

I think the CD is by far the most useful tool. It has timed quizes on each section on the GMAT. A Diagnostic test and 4 GMAT Tests. It has other useful things as well i.e. reviews and tips/strategies. Is there anything specific I can confirm or deny?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

[#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2003, 23:23
Expert's post
ngozi25 wrote:
1) GMAT Lesson Book
2) Home Study Book
3) Higher Score GMAT CD
4) Internet access to Wokshops & Quiz Banks
5) Access to anything in the testing center i.e. 7 more CAT tests and so on.

I think the CD is by far the most useful tool. It has timed quizes on each section on the GMAT. A Diagnostic test and 4 GMAT Tests. It has other useful things as well i.e. reviews and tips/strategies. Is there anything specific I can confirm or deny?

Do you know if the CD is the one that comes with the book? I heard thers is a special CD that is given out only to those who have taken courses and it has some materials not available to "mortals."
I was just wondering if it is true, but it sounds the CD is the same as the one that comes with Kaplan's GMAT Book.

Internet access to the Quiz Bank is nice; it costs $200 if I remember correctly, and it is 1000 questions.

I know it is going to sound nerdy, but what is the home study book and GMAT lesson book?

That's all I had on my mind.
Thanks.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2003, 19:17
I am not sure if the CD is the same. Describe the book CD and we can compare.

The Home Study book is like a book version of the Kaplan Higher Learning CD.

The Lesson Book is what you go over in class. It has all the tips/strategies. Some pretty neat stuff.
Intern
Intern

$200?!?! [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2003, 08:28
holy CRAP Kaplan charges $200 to retake?! I thought it was $100, but PR doesn't charge anything to retake if you weren't happy. And I agree, 4 weeks is not enough time - you can't cram for the GMAT. Well, most of us can't. I tried that the first time and scored a magical 570. :oops:

I would definitely do the PR course - jcohen is right on. It is just so much better with the materials, the length of the course, the smaller class and the extra help.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2003, 10:20
Glad to know there are others who think they may have been had. :x Makes me feel a little less foolish.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2003, 09:33
Expert's post
ngozi25 wrote:
I am not sure if the CD is the same. Describe the book CD and we can compare.

The Home Study book is like a book version of the Kaplan Higher Learning CD.

The Lesson Book is what you go over in class. It has all the tips/strategies. Some pretty neat stuff.

The CD looks like it was made for pre-school - very colorful interface and full of sound effects - just to let your boss know when you decide sneak in and do a few problems. It has a diagnostic test when you just pop it in, and then the 2001 edition has a dude in the car on the main "screen" and different options for Tests, Quizzes, Lessons, etc.

When you finish a lesson or a test, there is some silly comment about one of the top business schools, which is quite neat though.

:roll:
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2003, 18:13
Ahh yes! This sounds like the exact CD that is provided. I thought it was very childish as well.
  [#permalink] 27 Jul 2003, 18:13