Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 06:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

one month of studying down.. one month to go!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

one month of studying down.. one month to go!!! [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2007, 06:53
hey guys, well i posted after my initial diag. which was 440.. i have taken a GMAT prep since then and scored 36Q 30V=550.

i found that i am getting 90% of the CR and RC right, but only 30-40% of the SC right.. i have gone thru the manhattan book twice so this score is kind of disappointing!

on the Quant i find the time limit freaks me out!! i think i just need to remain calm. my success rate for DS and PS are comparable.. i also ran out of time on the last 7 and had to guess!

do u guys think i could bring this up to 600 in a month, or should i postpone my test?? my application period begins august 1st bc the program i am aiming for begins in january!

does anyone have tips for SC that will dramatically incraese my results! such as, words that are automatic traps!

thanks, and good luck to u all!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2007, 07:10
andrea,

jumping from 550 to 600 in a month is quite achievable.
For SC, i would suggest you to go through the appendices of kaplan's verbal workout and ofcourse Manhattan, which is considered as SC GOD by many. Just reading or going through manhattan sc will not help, you need to practice the problems in OG and read the explainations throughly. you should understand why you got a question right or wrong.
I believe with lots of practice and some smart preparation you can easily achieve 600.. best of luck
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: one month of studying down.. one month to go!!! [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2007, 12:27
I also faced same problem but I was able to increase my SC score upto 80%. Focus on these two points:-
1) read and remember each explanation given in OG for SC

2) once you read a SC question stem, see in answer choices what is varying. I mean generally SC breaks its choices between 2 type of Idioms out of which one is correct. Then from all choices with correct Idioms, see subject -verb relationship. Once Idioms and subject-verb relation are OK then, check for typical GMAT liking-disliking (i.e. Active voice is preferred, smaller sentence is prefer ed, that/which, etc). This approach, if you could develop along with doing SC with OG can help you a lot. I bet you would need hardly a week this way to improve your accuracy.

I can give you some examples with this approach if you want.
In last remember few SC questions (say 1-2 in 14) are tricky and no approach works on them. There experience and luck works.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2007, 17:12
hey thanx! looks like you did really well for yourself!!!

i am pretty motivated to keep going and not to give up.. also confidence.. i think that is a key component and overlooked ALOT!!!!

my advice to my own post.. stay confident and dont go take the exam until you are 100% confident!!!
Manager
Manager

one month to go [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2007, 06:44
I also plan to write the GMAT again in august.I have had to study a lot about 20 hrs a week for a month.On the next month,i would do 8 CATs and 3000 questions.i am aiming for 700+.I got the cracking the gmat,kaplan math workbook,11th edition OG,Princeton review verbal and Quant.LSAT book.I really need aleast 700= to help mitigate the effects of a low GPA.I wish you success on your test.

Just my thoughts.
one month to go   [#permalink] 30 Jun 2007, 06:44