Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 23:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

One Month To Test and Still Scoring Low, Need Help!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 03-10-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

One Month To Test and Still Scoring Low, Need Help!!! [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 16:24
Hi All,

Wow, I just typed all of this up, clicked submit, and I had to re log in, and when I came back it was gone, so here goes again for the second time!

I have been studying for about 6 months now. I was hoping to be scoring 625-675 by now but my high score is only 530. Today is Feb. 7 and my test is scheduled for March 10th, so I am starting to get nervous. I have taken the GMAT Prep 1 test 5 times and the questions started to get repetative so I purchased the CAT exams from Manhattan. The first three GMAT Prep 1 tests I took, I accidentally skipped the score screen in the end. I still took my own stats with correct/number of questions. I then took two out of the six MGMAT Cat exams. Below is a list all of my test scores and the diagnostics from the two MGMAT exams. I feel currently that I am still weaker in Math, so my plan is to go through the OG Math questions with the Kahn academy website. Then I am going to go through the MGMAT Sentence Correction book and do the OG verbal questions. While doing this I am going to finish the last four MGMAT CAT exams every weekend and complete the GMAT prep 2 test one or two weeks prior to D-Day.
My prior study materials were: The Princeton Review, Cracking the GMAT (entire book,which didn't help me!), studying the GMAT prep test 1 (gave me a taste), MGMAT Foundations of Math (entire book, really helped me!!), MGMAT Word Translations (partial of book, still not great). I also ordered the MGMAT upper Quant book, but I realized that I am not ready for that book, so I am thinking about ordering a Data Sufficiency book.

I am not sure if this is the best strategy for me. For the last two months I have really stepped up my studying with 2-3 hrs Mon-Fri. A practice test on the weekend 3-4 hrs, as well as reviewing the test 1-2hrs. It has been wearing me out as I do work full time, but everytime I try to relax or take a break, I constantly have the test on my mind. I am hoping that there is someone who knows what they are doing, can give me any advice as to if this is the best plan for me or any other advice that could help.

THANK YOU!

Josh

(the scores in parenthesis* are not standard scoring. These are the number correct / total number of questions. I figured it out on my fifth test :oops: .)

GMAT Test Prep 1 - 1st- (Q 13/37 V 16/41*)
GMAT Test Prep 1 - 2nd- (Q 9/37 V 8/17*)
GMAT Test Prep 1 - 3rd- (Q 18/37 V 20/41*)
GMAT Test Prep 1 - 4th- 430 (Q 16/37 16/41*)
GMAT Test Prep 1 - 5th- 530 Q35 V28 (Q17/37 V24/41*)
MGMAT CAT Test 1- 520 Q29 V33
MGMAT CAT Test 2- 480 Q24 V32

Assessment Summary
QUESTION FORMAT Total Right Wrong Blank % Right Average Average Average Average
Time Time Difficulty Difficulty
RIGHT WRONG RIGHT WRONG
Answers Answers Answers Answers
Problem Solving 44 21 23 0 48% 2:46 2:41 470 510
Data Sufficiency 30 13 17 0 43% 1:02 0:56 440 530

Sentence Correction 30 14 16 0 47% 1:30 1:27 660 730
Critical Reasoning 28 15 13 0 54% 1:43 2:04 670 700
Reading Comprehension 24 14 10 0 58% 2:11 2:04 660 680
QUANTITATIVE Total Right Wrong % Right Average Average
CONTENT AREA Time Time
RIGHT WRONG
Answers Answers
BEST Word Translations 19 10 9 53% 2:18 2:10 SLOWEST
Geometry 9 4 5 44% 1:51 1:59
Number Properties 14 7 7 50% 2:23 1:52
WORST Algebra 14 5 9 36% 2:04 1:26 FASTEST
FDP's 18 8 10 44% 1:45 2:11

This report was generated with DATA from the following exams:

CAT EXAM #2 Completed 02/04/2012
CAT EXAM #1 (FREE) Completed 01/30/2012
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: One Month To Test and Still Scoring Low, Need Help!!! [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 16:28
The diagnostic did not turn out the way it looked originally. So I copied it and pasted it into a word doc and attached the file to this post. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks again!
Attachments

Assessment Summary.doc [59.5 KiB]
Downloaded 30 times

To download please login or register as a user

Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: One Month To Test and Still Scoring Low, Need Help!!! [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2012, 07:09
I would suggest going through the rest of the mgmat math books if possible, foundations is step 1 in killing the quant section, the others should really help you understand the concepts behind everything else.

Also, for a free resource, the gmatclub math book has helped me.

gmat-math-book-87417.html
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 400 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: One Month To Test and Still Scoring Low, Need Help!!! [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2012, 06:28
When you're stuck in a certain scoring band, this likely means you have certain assumptions (the way you approach math/verbal problems) that consistently leads you to incorrect answers.

The question makers at the GMAC are well aware of people's tendencies and write many questions with this in mind. The best way to overcome this is keep an error log and figure out WHY are you consistently answering certain questions incorrectly.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15, CBS '15
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 10

Re: One Month To Test and Still Scoring Low, Need Help!!! [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2012, 12:30
Its obvious that quant is your weak point. Do you know why you are getting certain questions wrong? What area do you need most help in? If I were you I would start there and figure out what area of quant is my biggest problem. I would then go and revisit those materials until I have my fundamental understanding down. Only then will your scores improve. Looks like verbal is pretty good so for the time being focus all your efforts on quant.

Reward wisdom with kudos

Intern
Intern

Re: One Month To Test and Still Scoring Low, Need Help!!! [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2012, 15:37
Thank you all for your comments!!! I believe that I get mixed up actually understanding the quant questions. Whether it be translating words into equations backwards(something like: 3 times as many red cars as green cars, is r=3g, I wasn't able to pick this up easily, I kept saying g=3r), or even just understanding what the general questions are asking or saying. It seems like when I go back through the questions I get wrong, I am always on the right track to get the correct answer but don't (it feels like for these ones that I am able to know how to do 90% of the problem, but without understanding the problem or knowing how to do the whole problem I get it wrong), or I am saying, "oh, that is what the question is really asking." To go further into detail about what how my brain works, It feels like when I work with people who know how to do these problems, they are able to paint the picture in their head which makes it difficult for them to make stupid mistakes, and for some reason, I only see the words and then I try to input formulas from what I have learned from my studying and then I get mixed up, then get lost. I purchased the MGMAT Word Translations book, and had a very difficult time getting through the first couple of chapters. But when I went through my error logs, those were not the only questions I was getting wrong. I was getting wrong a lot of Data Sufficiency as well as some really easy ones. So I figured the best route for me to go from here is to do as many practice questions as possible with the help from khanacademy.org, walking through the problems from the OG.?.?.? Also purchasing a data sufficiency book??? Another question I have is maybe if I studied the Verbal section more I could raise my verbal score which would help my struggling quant score??

Once again, I REALLY REALLY REALLY appreciate your help. I have noticed with this test that it is really easy to feel lost, but with this website and all the great people helping out, the lost feeling goes away.

Josh
Re: One Month To Test and Still Scoring Low, Need Help!!!   [#permalink] 09 Feb 2012, 15:37