Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 09:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

One more on the defeated list

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

One more on the defeated list [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2005, 14:29
One more on the defeated list.

I took the exam yesterday and got hammered,Scored poorly 610. M 49 V25...Verbal screwed me
big time.Though I am non- native speaker but didn't expect to score so badly in verbal,
will have to prepare again, and retake it but before that planning to take a few days break.

Here is the summary of my preparation and of the exam.

I Devoted 2 months wholeheartedly for GMAT.When I started preparing for maths, I felt
comfortable, may be my science-maths engineering background had strong foundation but English
really scared me, these SCs were whole new ball game of the english I have learnt.
RCs used to go over my head so I identified that I have to do really well in English If
I want to score over 700... So I Practised a lot BUT this poor showing was not expected.

In my practice exams, I was consistently hitting the 31/32 scaled score in verbal and my target
was 34 at least in the exam as I was not expecting a miracle to happen in verbal and I went
to the center with the expectation of 670-700 range but getting 610 is pathetic.

I refered MGMAT SC guide and all other guides like KAP,PR, besides doing OG almost twice.
I was doing pretty fine on SCs but CR and RC were problmatic....
Scored
610 PR1
630 PR2
670 PR4
550 KAP1
600 KAP2
690 GMATPrep1
690 PP2

Anyways,below is the summary of the real test.

AWA --- pretty straight forward but each one took 30 minutes to complete.

Quant---> I felt this was not very tough and due to this had a doubt that I am not doing well in this section
I didn't encountered very tough question, they all were OG level but
little lenghty though, requiring hell lot of calculations.Questions were really easier than what we face on this
board and the challenges. Only one question on prob, 1 on P& C, 2-3 on Cordinate geo, 4-5 on geomatry, mensuration
but a lot of word problems, rate, work, speed, mixture, percentage,P& L....
One surprise question was from Deteminants but I was easy.

Completed this section just in time and took the break.

Verbal

Here starts the nightmare, first one was a SC, struck out 3 answer choices but the 2 were so
narrow that none of the rules were getting applied and finally had to guess on one after 3-4 minutes
of thought. Next one was CR, again the same situation, could finish only 5 question in first 15 min.
Then 2 back to back 60 lines RCs.
In nut shell, All the questions were beyond OG level, RCs were easy to understand but questions
were difficult, hard to select between 2 choices. Got a bold faced question as 39th question
in the series. A couple of SCs were Not only ...but also and both ---and but the answer
choices were confusing. Most of the SCs were modifier problems..4-5 lines all underlined.

Now I have to again start from scratch, Do more pratice on RC and CRs
but not sure can this be improved? Any advice/suggestion will be appreciated. Really feeling depressed.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2005, 15:17
gmacvik, I am yet to take real test but I can imagine how disappointed you must be at the result after so much hard work.

Not to miss positive points though, your quant score is superb, just 5-6 points improvement in verbal and you are amost there..writing another success story. As additional resource you might want to look at LSAT material. I guess they prepare you well for tough CR/RC.

Good luck.

Here is part of very good poem by Edger Guest:

"But just buckle right in with a bit of a grin,
Just take off your coat and go to it;
Just start to sing as you tackle the thing
That cannot be done, and you'll do it"
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2005, 15:35
Hey gmacvik, 610 is not a bad score. With some improvement in verbal, you can really take it to the 700 level.
Just strengthen the basics. Take more practice tests - Keep an eye on the clock - especially Verbal. That is the key.

Good Luck!
  [#permalink] 09 Nov 2005, 15:35