Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [22]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [6]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 186
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 385 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: ISB '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.89
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
One of Hannibal's successful battle techniques was charging wild [#permalink]
Kudos
A) to command that his men should part, creating channels that allowed the elephants simply to pass through, with them killing
B) to command his men in parting, creating channels that allow the elephants simply to pass through, and then to kill
C) commanding his men to part, creating channels allowing the elephants simply to pass through, and then to kill
D) commanding that his men should part, creating channels to allow the elephants simply to pass through, and then to kill
E) commanding his men to part, creating channels that allowed the elephants simply to pass through, with them killing

A and B are out because of parallelism (was charging:was commanding)

The word command needs subjunctive "to". So D is out
E is out for parallelism which is highlighted above

C is the correct answer

Kudos +1 if like it
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
Send PM
Re: One of Hannibal's successful battle techniques was charging wild [#permalink]
One of Hannibal's successful battle techniques was charging wild elephants directly at the Roman armies, trampling infantry and inducing disarray in the ranks, but Scipio's successful counterstrategy was to command that his men should part, creating channels that allowed the elephants simply to pass through, with them killing the elephants behind his ranks.

A) to command that his men should part, creating channels that allowed the elephants simply to pass through, with them killing to command is not parallel
B) to command his men in parting, creating channels that allow the elephants simply to pass through, and then to kill same as A
C) commanding his men to part, creating channels allowing the elephants simply to pass through, and then to kill correct
D) commanding that his men should part, creating channels to allow the elephants simply to pass through, and then to kill command and should can not go together
E) commanding his men to part, creating channels that allowed the elephants simply to pass through, with them killing
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
One of Hannibal's successful battle techniques was charging wild [#permalink]
One of Hannibal's successful battle techniques was charging wild elephants directly at the Roman armies, trampling infantry and inducing disarray in the ranks, but Scipio's successful counterstrategy was to command that his men should part, creating channels that allowed the elephants simply to pass through, with them killing the elephants behind his ranks.

A) to command that his men should part, creating channels that allowed the elephants simply to pass through, with them killing
B) to command his men in parting, creating channels that allow the elephants simply to pass through, and then to kill
C) commanding his men to part, creating channels allowing the elephants simply to pass through, and then to kill
D) commanding that his men should part, creating channels to allow the elephants simply to pass through, and then to kill

Imo C it has all the parallel elements .

Option A has multiple errors them is ambiguous.Charging and to command are not parallel.
Option B again has the same error to command
Option D Should can not be used in a sentence which has commanding verb.
Option E has them which is ambiguous.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Re: One of Hannibal's successful battle techniques was charging wild [#permalink]

Official Explanation

This one is tricky because it involves parallelism at a couple different levels. First of all, we are comparing Hannibal's vs. Scipio's approach. Hannibal's technique was "charging", so we suspect Scipio's counterstrategy would be parallel to this: "commanding", not "to command." This makes us suspicious of (A) & (B). If there were no parallelism to consider, the use of the infinitive in this context would be a perfectly correct construction.

After the word command/commanding, the most natural idiom is an infinitive:to command B to do X. The "that"-clause structure here, "that his men should part", is very awkward, and does not fit. Because of this, we reject (A) & (D).

The structure "with them killing" is 100% wrong. In general, the GMAT hates "with" + [noun] + [participle] to encapsulate action. If we want to talk about action, we need to use a full bona fide verb. This structure appears in both (A).

We know that Scipio is commanding his men to do something: what is he commanding them to do? He is commanding two things: (a) to part, and (b) to kill the elephants. These two actions need to be in parallel as well. Furthermore, the correction idiom is "command" + [infinitive], while the construction "command" + [gerund] is 100% wrong. Choice (C) correctly has two infinitives, "to part" and "to kill". Choice (C) is the only answer that has correct parallelism on both levels, so this is the only possible answer. (C) is correct.

Both (D) and (E) lose the important distinction between the two things that Scipio commanded: to part and to kill. Instead, (D) and (E) both create a list of participles and in doing so Scipio is commanding only that his men part, a major change in meaning. Remember, parallelism is not automatically correct especially when it entails a major change in meaning.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 453
Concentration: Finance
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V41
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
daagh wrote:
A) to command that his men should part, creating channels that allowed the elephants simply to pass through, with them killing --- Charging and to command are unparallel
B) to command his men in parting, creating channels that allow the elephants simply to pass through, and then to kill --- same as in A
C) commanding his men to part, creating channels allowing the elephants simply to pass through, and then to kill ---- the correct answer
D) commanding that his men should part, creating channels to allow the elephants simply to pass through, and then to kill -- ‘commanding’ , a mandatory order cannot go with ‘should’ a recommendatory word
E) commanding his men to part, creating channels that allowed the elephants simply to pass through, with them killing --- them is ambiguous; whether it is referring to the men or the channels; then an object cannot take on the role of a subject ( they)

daagh sir, need guidance:
With regards to Option C, isn't to kill an infinitive which is paired with participles... are such elements even parallel?

Regards
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor

C. commanding his men to part, creating channels allowing the elephants simply to pass through, and then to kill

Youraise
Hi,

'creating channels that allowed … ' is a modifier of the previous clause namely, "Scipio's strategy was commanding his men to part"
The modifier is not an essential item of the core of the sentence and hence does not compete with 'to kill' "To part and to kill are the chief elements of Scipio's strategy and they only required to be parallel and not the modifier's parts.
Yes, it is indeed a tricky thing to decide which need to be parallel and which need not.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
egmat daagh

Please check my approach, let me know if I am wrong.

I didn't check for parallelism (although I should have)

1st check- "creating channels that allowed", here, "that" modifies "channels", now if we go literally with the meaning-based approach, channels don't allow(give permission) themselves for anything.

therefore- A,B,E is wrong.

In C and D
2nd check- "commanding" modifies "Scipio's successful counterstrategy", also "that" again modifies "Scipio's successful counterstrategy". There was really no need to use both commanding and that. So on this basis, I eliminated D.

Although I did it correctly, just wanted to know whether this approach is fine or not?
Also after reading the comments, I checked for parallelism, and I have one doubt about it. In C "to part" and "to kill" is parallel but wouldn't "then" before "to kill" would create an issue?

+1 Kudos if my approach is correct for this question
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Schools: Kelley (A)
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36
GRE 1: Q166 V157
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Harley1980 wrote:

Isn't command a subjunctive verb ?
In what cases it can work with infinitive as well?

egmat
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts