Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 19:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

One of Krishna Menon's many dreams for his dear homeland was

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

One of Krishna Menon's many dreams for his dear homeland was [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 23:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

19% (01:58) correct 81% (01:10) wrong based on 32 sessions
46. One of Krishna Menon's many dreams for his dear homeland was to convert one of Minicoy's islands into a pre-historic nature sanctuary and remove all traces of man ever setting foot there.
A. many dreams for his dear homeland was to convert one of Minicoy's islands into a pre-historic nature sanctuary and remove
B. many dreams for his dear homeland was to convert one of Minicoy's islands into a pre-historic nature sanctuary and removing
C. many dreams for his dear homeland was converting one of Minicoy's islands into a pre-historic nature sanctuary and removing
D. many dreams for his dearly homeland was to convert one of Minicoy's islands into a pre-historic nature sanctuary and remove
E. many dreams for his dearly homeland was to convert one of Minicoy's islands into a pre-historic nature sanctuary and remove

OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
c

Although OA is c, i feel A is better than C because of more idiomatic to convert to remove...Any comments.
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 389 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: krishna monon's dreams [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2010, 10:28
Who the hell is Krishna Menon. :lol: LOL

hey gmatcracker2010
I dont know about the history. But I can tell C is best.

A. many dreams for his dear homeland was to convert one of Minicoy's islands into a pre-historic nature sanctuary and [to] remove ----> to is missing.

A fails to maintain infinitive parallelism. Infinitive parallelism: to …to
You can argue that second "to" is optional. But choice C is sure shot.

Cheers

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: krishna monon's dreams [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2010, 13:27
I narrowed it down to A and C. I'll go with A for sure...

No idea how C is the answer?

looks like option D and E are same :roll:

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: krishna monon's dreams [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2010, 13:35
This was an awful question....all the choices seem correct accept the 'dearly' ones.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Re: krishna monon's dreams [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 12:56
I think A is better choice than C because the use of gerund in any option has the least possibility for the option to be correct.
In A, [to] remove, the usage is correct as the infinitive usage can be optional when it precedes a verb.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: krishna monon's dreams [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 12:47
C passes in parallelism. But the use of gerund is a big "?"

Definitely would have gone for A! Let experts have their say on this.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: krishna monon's dreams [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2010, 07:24
C isn't correct.
Ridiculous. Changes the meaning totally.

One of Menon's many dreams for his dear homeland was converting one of Minicoy's islands into a pre-historic nature sanctuary and removing

How can the dreams convert something? That is what it means. As if the dreams are converting the islands.

:no

What is the source??? Plz
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 112

Re: krishna monon's dreams [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2010, 09:26
was sure tht I will be right and picked A ...much to my amazement its C..:(
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: krishna monon's dreams [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2010, 11:12
IMO C

46. One of Krishna Menon's many dreams for his dear homeland was to convert one of Minicoy's islands into a pre-historic nature sanctuary and remove all traces of man ever setting foot there.
A. many dreams for his dear homeland was to convert one of Minicoy's islands into a pre-historic nature sanctuary and remove - incorrect - missing parallelism it should be "to remove" and not only "remove"
B. many dreams for his dear homeland was to convert one of Minicoy's islands into a pre-historic nature sanctuary and removing
C. many dreams for his dear homeland was converting one of Minicoy's islands into a pre-historic nature sanctuary and removing - converting and removing - so maintains parallelism, so correct
D. many dreams for his dearly homeland was to convert one of Minicoy's islands into a pre-historic nature sanctuary and remove
E. many dreams for his dearly homeland was to convert one of Minicoy's islands into a pre-historic nature sanctuary and remove

Hope the explanation helps.

----------------------------------

Please press kudos if you like the explanation. Thank you
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: krishna monon's dreams [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 05:12
amitdesai16 wrote:
IMO C

A. many dreams for his dear homeland was to convert one of Minicoy's islands into a pre-historic nature sanctuary and remove - incorrect - missing parallelism it should be "to remove" and not only "remove"
C. many dreams for his dear homeland was converting one of Minicoy's islands into a pre-historic nature sanctuary and removing - converting and removing - so maintains parallelism, so correct

Hi,

This is weird question, first of all D & E are same.

secondly, i don;t agree with OA as C because

whenever there is a tie b/w infinitive (TO verb Form) and ING forms (perhaps called present participle ) then Infinitive is given preference.

So A carry more waightage over C .

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: krishna monon's dreams [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 20:38
onedayill wrote:
amitdesai16 wrote:
IMO C

Hi,

This is weird question, first of all D & E are same.

secondly, i don;t agree with OA as C because

whenever there is a tie b/w infinitive (TO verb Form) and ING forms (perhaps called present participle ) then Infinitive is given preference.

So A carry more waightage over C .

I agree with onedayill. Answer has to be A

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 5

Re: krishna monon's dreams [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 04:47
IMO - C
Either the answer is Option A or C.
Option A: As per my understanding from MGMAT SC, 'to remove' instead of 'remove' is not required: If there are more than one infinitive verbs, then the one after 'and' does not require the 'to' and can be a bare Infinitive.
What does not go in favor of option A is the use of Infinitive itself. As per my understanding, for an infinitive to be used, the sentence structure should be:
- S + Subjunctive Verb + that + Bare Infinitive OR S + Subjunctive Verb + O + Infinitive.
However in the above sentence, there is no subjunctive verb at all. If seen carefully:
One of Krishna Menon's many dreams for his dear homeland[Subject] was[Verb and NOT Subjunctive Verb] to convert.... [Object]. For this reason I believe that the Infinitive itself should not be used and preference for the ING Forms.

Please correct me if I am wrong !!!

Please give me kudos, if you like the above post.
Thanks.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: krishna monon's dreams [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 05:48
Now I need expert's opinion here.

Can some one please explain why A is wrong?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: krishna monon's dreams [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 09:09
i don't agree with most of the observations here about A.

The only reason why A is wrong is NOT because the sentence is missing the "to" in "to remove," but because the use of the infinitive "to remove" signals (or stresses) an intention. It's not the intention that Krishna that is worried about, it's the [end] result -- (yeah yeah, i know, end result is redundant)!

So when you want to focus on the results, you need to use the -ing (participle form).

Hope that helps.

kudos if you like me (or my post) :P

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: krishna monon's dreams [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 18:18
I went with C also on the basis of parallelism. I felt that answer choice A needed the "to remove" making the sentence correct. where did you find this krishna menon questions? LOL
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: krishna monon's dreams [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 21:14
Go with A...C has correct parallelism but does not carry corret intention.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Richard Ivey School of Business (University of Western Ontario)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: krishna monon's dreams [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2010, 22:01
Everyone's confused...bloody Krishna Menon had such a shitty dream.

IMO: A

---------------------------
Prince
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: krishna monon's dreams [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 00:14
gmatcracker2010 wrote:
A. many dreams for his dear homeland was to convert one of Minicoy's islands into a pre-historic nature sanctuary and remove
C. many dreams for his dear homeland was converting one of Minicoy's islands into a pre-historic nature sanctuary and removing

OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
c

Although OA is c, i feel A is better than C because of more idiomatic to convert to remove...Any comments.

Hello Gmatcracker,
Please what is the source and Official Explanation to this question?

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 157

GMAT Tests User
Re: krishna monon's dreams [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 07:09
gmatcracker2010 wrote:

OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
c

Here you are talking about dream, so one of krishna dreams was what ? to convert NO but converting x and ...

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: krishna monon's dreams [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2010, 04:35
gauravnagpal wrote:
was sure tht I will be right and picked A ...much to my amazement its C..:(

Ditto here .........I missed parallel Q....
Re: krishna monon's dreams   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2010, 04:35