Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 11:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

One of Ronald Reagans first acts as President was to rescind

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

One of Ronald Reagans first acts as President was to rescind [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2009, 02:31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

35% (01:57) correct 65% (01:04) wrong based on 73 sessions
16. One of Ronald Reagan’s first acts as President was to rescind President Carter’s directive that any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States be prohibited from sale to other countries.
(A) that any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States be prohibited from sale to other countries
(B) that any chemical be prohibited from sale to other countries that was banned on medical grounds in the United States
(C) prohibiting the sale to other countries of any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States
(D) prohibiting that any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States is sold to other countries
(E) that any chemical banned in the United States on medical grounds is prohibited from being sold to other countries
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 484 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: One of Ronald Reagan’s [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2009, 02:59
ashishd wrote:
16. One of Ronald Reagan’s first acts as President was to rescind President Carter’s directive that any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States be prohibited from sale to other countries.
(A) that any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States be prohibited from sale to other countries---Seems to be correct one-no issues
(B) that any chemical be prohibited from sale to other countries that was banned on medical grounds in the United States----Lengthy sentence
(C) prohibiting the sale to other countries of any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States----prohibiting is not making sense
(D) prohibiting that any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States is sold to other countries-----"is sold" is not in agreement with past
(E) that any chemical banned in the United States on medical grounds is prohibited from being sold to other countries---"is prohibited" is not in agreement

"A" for me,,though "B" is also looking good :)

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 395 [1] , given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: One of Ronald Reagan’s [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2009, 03:23
This post received
KUDOS
IMO C.

I think, use of "that" here is incorrect. Here "any chemical banned on...." is modifying "directive". This modifier can be placed directly "directly prohibiting the sale...."

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: One of Ronald Reagan’s [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 09:56
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I would go with A.

C's construction looks awkward.

In option C,
prohibiting the sale of any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States to other countries would have been better than prohibiting the sale to other countries of any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: One of Ronald Reagan’s [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 16:53
I will also go with A

"Directive" makes this Subjunctive and so be prohibited should be used

All other choices looks incorrect to me

Always tag your question

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: One of Ronald Reagan’s [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2009, 10:02
i can not quite agree with the OA.
Can someone give a clear explanation? Thanks!
4 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 182 [4] , given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: One of Ronald Reagan’s [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2009, 10:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
ashishd wrote:
(A) that any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States be prohibited from sale to other countries
(B) that any chemical be prohibited from sale to other countries that was banned on medical grounds in the United States
(C) prohibiting the sale to other countries of any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States
(D) prohibiting that any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States is sold to other countries
(E) that any chemical banned in the United States on medical grounds is prohibited from being sold to other countries

I opted for C for following reasons:

1) One of Ronald Reagan’s first acts as President was to rescind President Carter’s directive ==> is in itself is a complete sentence, we can classify the "directive" by using the participle phrase (using 'prohibiting')

2) Even if we want to use 'that' after directive, we need to say directive that prohibits ....blah..blah..
'that any chemical bond ...' doesn't seem correct to me after directive in this case.

Will greatly appreciate the opinions!

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: One of Ronald Reagan’s [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2009, 12:37
A looks like the right answer.

C is changing the tense to progressive but I am not yet the authority in sentence corrections. Whats the OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
One of Ronald Reagan’s [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2009, 16:30
OA according to Brutal SCs is C.
But its hard to between A and C. Can someone elaborate
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: One of Ronald Reagan’s [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2009, 16:36
please check the OA from other sources. It should be A and not C

in C, "prohibiting" is not clearly modifying "directive", it could be modifying "acts" too.

Only A is clear
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 11

Re: One of Ronald Reagan’s [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2009, 21:24
This post received
KUDOS
there is a big difference in the meaning between choice A and choice C

Choice A says : some previous president implemented X and the new president came and revoked it. So, if X were STOPPED HAPPENING in the previous president's regime, the new president has revoked it (that means he STARTED IT)

Choice C says: it completely talks this opposite.

The new president came in and revoked a previous rule. The new rule is actually STOPPING something from happening.

Now, talking in language of the question

If both option A and option C were to be the same, we would need a 'comma' after 'carter's directive'. In this case, 'prohibiting' will modify 'carter's directive'.

Without the comma 'prohibiting' is modifying 'Ronald Regan's first act'
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: One of Ronald Reagan’s [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2009, 00:26
hasham222 wrote:
there is a big difference in the meaning between choice A and choice C
Without the comma 'prohibiting' is modifying 'Ronald Regan's first act'

I think it should be other way around: with comma it will modify the 'act' not without the comma.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: One of Ronald Reagan’s [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2009, 04:30
ashishd wrote:

It was between A & C for me. I chose A quite quickly because C seemed awkward.

OA's provided are nearly always right and this is from the Brutal SC document which has been around for a while.

The only mistake I can come up with for A is "that any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States be prohibited from sale to other countries" could be "that any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States be prohibited from being sold to other countries"

Let's try to come up with an example:

The law states that all Kiera Knightly pictures be prohibited from "being sold"/"sale" - seems right.

Tough one.

Perhaps you could also argue that the directive was the prohibition of the sale and that has to be tackled first in the statement - therefore C.

-talent is the desire to practice-

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: One of Ronald Reagan’s [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2009, 06:48
ashishd wrote:

it is tough ...
I can eliminate C for misplaced 'chemical' .."sale to other countries of any chemical banned "

here "of any chemical banned " should be closer to "sale" ..it should read something like this
"sale of any chemical banned to other countries ..."

but I have questions in A as well though ..

prohibit from X is correct idiom but here 'X' is noun right? "prohibit from sale " is n't 'sale' verb here?

If I have to, I choose A .. :-D

is this a tough question or a not well composed question?
5 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 395 [5] , given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: One of Ronald Reagan’s [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2009, 22:34
This post received
KUDOS
My reasons for selecting C over A are:

1. option A and B are using subjunctive mood. I don't think we should use subjunctive mood here, since the option is just explaining or narrating what President Carter’s directive was. Its not that President Carter is giving his direction now itself.

2. In option C, "prohibiting" is correctly modifying "President Carter’s directive" since there is no comma.
Introduction of comma here would create ambiguity, as in that case "prohibiting" would be modifying either "President Carter’s directive" or "Ronald Reagan’s first acts" :roll:

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: One of Ronald Reagan’s [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2009, 11:07
Can someone explain why D is being neglected here?

"prohibiting that any..." is a modifier that modifies noun (directive) and is directly touching it, as noun modifiers are suppose to.

In (A), "Sale" is a noun and "from sale...", we are using it as verb which IMO is awkard.

OA and desc please.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: One of Ronald Reagan’s [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2009, 01:59
This post received
KUDOS
Guys found the below at http://gmattoughies.blogspot.com/

Participle Modifier (w/ and w/o comma)
If the comma is not there, the participial modifier must modify whatever noun directly precedes it. If the comma is there, then the participial modifier is taken to modify the preceding clause as a whole (or particularly the verb of that clause).
to wit:
tom received the court order [NO COMMA] restricting his movements outside the city --> the court order itself restricts tom's movements. we can infer that tom's movements are already restricted by the court order, regardless of whether he has received it.
tom received the court order, restricting his movements outside the city --> tom's movements were not restricted until he received the order.

by the way, the second of these sentences isn't that great: tom is the subject of that sentence, so the modifier implies that tom restricted his own movements by receiving the order. to convey the meaning more precisely, you'd say something like tom received the court order, thus activating orbringing into effect restrictions on...'

Ex: One of Ronald Reagan’s first acts as President was to rescind President Carter’s directivethat any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States be prohibited from sale to other countries.

Ans C
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: One of Ronald Reagan’s [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2009, 12:42
tom received the court order [NO COMMA] restricting his movements outside the city
tom received the court order that restricted his movement outside the city ( i guess sentence must be originally like this ) so if v want to make it shrter then v'll write it like first sentence . instead of ed verb form v'll use restricting...
but the sentence here it is different coz directive is definately subjunctive but the carter's directive was of the past .... subjunctive is generally i guess for future ...... so subjunctive doent apply here so thats why ans is c ....
Director
Director
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 100

GMAT Tests User
Re: One of Ronald Reagan’s [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 17:40
Experts please comment between A and C.
Directive is an order>>Subjunctive..How is C correct?It's such a twisted sentence!!

countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 481 [0], given: 432

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: One of Ronald Reagan’s [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 19:17
Expert's post
A - Subjunctive is used here. Incorrect.
B - Seems that "banned" describes countries. Also, "was" is ambigous or simply wrong. Also, see A above.
C - Correct.
D - The second word, "that," is excessive.
E - "Is . . . being" sounds terrible. Also, see A above.

I agree with Bigoyal; subjunctive mood is used for options A, B, and E. We can use -ing words to directly describe nouns:

The man standing on the porch.
The car passing the store.
The star ship floating in outer space.

This question was quite nasty!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: One of Ronald Reagan’s   [#permalink] 28 Oct 2009, 19:17