Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 04:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 10:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (02:31) correct 39% (01:27) wrong based on 92 sessions
One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is the amount of oxygen that is absorbed by the muscles from the bloodstream. Accordingly, entrepreneurs have begun selling at gymnasiums and health clubs bottles of drinking water, labeled “SuperOXY,” that has extra oxygen dissolved in the water. Such water would be useless in improving physical performance, however, since the only way to get oxygen into the bloodstream so that it can be absorbed bye the muscles is through the lungs.

Which of the following, if true, would serve the same function in the argument as the statement in boldface?

A. the water lost in exercising can be replaced with ordinary tap water
B. the amount of oxygen in the blood of people who are exercising is already more than the muscle can absorb
C. world-class athletes turn in record performance without such water
D. frequent physical exercise increases the body’s ability to take in and use oxygen
E. lack of oxygen is not the only factor limiting human physical performance

The boldface statement is weakening the argument above, so we need to look for weakener so A or E, finally, i picked E....views???
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by dentobizz on 11 Nov 2013, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.
Adding OA
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 12:14
I think its
A>the water lost in exercising can be replaced with ordinary tap water

water lost from the body can't be replenished with tap water just as extra oygen is of no use unless absorbed by the lungs.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Official GMAT SET21 Q33 - Boldface [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 20:13
singh_amit19 wrote:
One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is the amount of oxygen that is absorbed by the muscles from the bloodstream. Accordingly, entrepreneurs have begun selling at gymnasiums and health clubs bottles of drinking water, labeled “SuperOXY,” that has extra oxygen dissolved in the water. Such water would be useless in improving physical performance, however, since the only way to get oxygen into the bloodstream so that it can be absorbed bye the muscles is through the lungs.

Which of the following, if true, would serve the same function in the argument as the statement in boldface?

B. the amount of oxygen in the blood of people who are exercising is already more than the muscle can absorb
D. frequent physical exercise increases the body’s ability to take in and use oxygen

The boldface statement is weakening the argument above, so we need to look for weakener so A or E, finally, i picked E....views???

I say B.
Manager
Manager
Status: Post MBA, working in the area of Development Finance

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 03:33
So much difference of opinion!
I pick D

What is the OA for this?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Official GMAT SET21 Q33 - Boldface [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 03:51
singh_amit19 wrote:

As Amit pointed out the sentence "the amount of oxygen in the blood of people who are exercising is already more than the muscle can absorb" is
weakening the benefit of driking oxygen rich water. Why should one drink such water? To overcome a limitation and improve physical performance.

The boldfaced statement weakens the argument indirectly by saying the oxygen rich water is not going to help.

B is weakening the argument directly; it performs the same function as the boldfaced sentence.

I pick B. What is the OA?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

why weakening?? [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 07:53
Can anybody tell me why you are looking for "weakening" the argument.
Is it mentioned anywhere ? If not, I pick "D"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Official GMAT SET21 Q33 - Boldface [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 13:12
singh_amit19 wrote:
One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is the amount of oxygen that is absorbed by the muscles from the bloodstream. Accordingly, entrepreneurs have begun selling at gymnasiums and health clubs bottles of drinking water, labeled “SuperOXY,” that has extra oxygen dissolved in the water. Such water would be useless in improving physical performance, however, since the only way to get oxygen into the bloodstream so that it can be absorbed by the muscles is through the lungs.

E in my opinion. The boldface means that unless oxygen comes from the lungs, it will not be used. This implies that it's not just the lack of oxygen, but also the source of the oxygen that affects the performance. I think E can completely replace the original boldface without changing the meaning of the sentence.

for every person who doesn't try because he is
afraid of loosing , there is another person who
keeps making mistakes and succeeds..

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Official GMAT SET21 Q33 - Boldface [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2007, 13:34
Is A suppsed to say -

A. the water lost in exercising can't be replaced with ordinary tap water

Bcos the original A posted did'nt make sense to me. The bold face in the CR says that extra oxygen is useless unless it comes from lungs into bloodstream.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Official GMAT SET21 Q33 - Boldface [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2007, 16:14
singh_amit19 wrote:

Wow - this one was confusing as hell. I think Abiswas nailed the logic behind it.

We are asked to replace the bold part with an equivalent statement. Just before the bold part the argument says that the bottled water is useless and the bold part gives the reason why - because the oxygen packed in the bottled water is of no use AND since the purported purpose of the bottled water is to SUPPLY the additional oxygen - the PURPOSE of the bottled water is defeated thereby making the bottled water itself useless.
defeated.

How ELSE can we make the Bottled water useless aside from the fact that the oxygen it provides can't be gainfully used by the body? Well, given that the oxygen it provides is useless, the only other use of bottled water COULD be to replenish the body's water lost due to exercising. And this can be easily replenished by Tap water and this is what the choice A states.

BTW - I got this wrong. I had chosen D until I read Abiswas' explanation.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Official GMAT SET21 Q33 - Boldface [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2007, 06:05
dwivedys wrote:
singh_amit19 wrote:

Wow - this one was confusing as hell. I think Abiswas nailed the logic behind it.

We are asked to replace the bold part with an equivalent statement. Just before the bold part the argument says that the bottled water is useless and the bold part gives the reason why - because the oxygen packed in the bottled water is of no use AND since the purported purpose of the bottled water is to SUPPLY the additional oxygen - the PURPOSE of the bottled water is defeated thereby making the bottled water itself useless.
defeated.

How ELSE can we make the Bottled water useless aside from the fact that the oxygen it provides can't be gainfully used by the body? Well, given that the oxygen it provides is useless, the only other use of bottled water COULD be to replenish the body's water lost due to exercising. And this can be easily replenished by Tap water and this is what the choice A states.

BTW - I got this wrong. I had chosen D until I read Abiswas' explanation.

Now I get it. This I would not get it on exam. I think I hv pretty weak reasoning power - atleast the GMAT way.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2007, 09:00
Answer is B.

Such water would be useless in improving physical performance, however, since

the only way to get oxygen into the bloodstream so that it can be absorbed bye the muscles is through the lungs

Such water would be useless in improving physical performance, however, since

.......the amount of oxygen in the blood of people who are exercising is already more than the muscle can absorb
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck, Duke

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

CR: SuperOXY [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2008, 13:27

OA A????, IMO B
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: SuperOXY [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2008, 15:03
arorag wrote:

OA A????, IMO B

Where did you get that OA? I am suspicious...I think OA should be B.
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: SuperOXY [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2008, 15:46
arorag wrote:

OA A????, IMO B

Initially i marked E :(
but i changed my mind for A then, let me explain :

Premise1:One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is the amount of oxygen that is absorbed by the muscles from the bloodstream.
concl: Accordingly, entrepreneurs have begun selling at gymnasiums and health clubs bottles of drinking water, labeled “SuperOXY,” that has extra oxygen dissolved in the water.

Counter premise1:however, since t[b]he only way to get oxygen into the bloodstream so that it can be absorbed bye the muscles is through the lungs.

Main Concl :Such water would be useless in improving physical performance.

Now if we see ,the given bold faced is the premise supporting main concl.
hence we need to look for premise oppsing the concl and supporting main concl
A->hold this since water from tap can be used means no selling of bottle water -> plan fails
B->this is not correct it does not prove if the water is useless for improving physical health,nothing said about bottle water
C->irelevant
D->incorrect nothing said abt water
E->this appeared close but ultimately i realised that by this its not proved that water cannot improve physical performance ,may be it ca improve ,along with other limiting factors playing their role!!!

Whats the source of this question!!!

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: SuperOXY [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2008, 17:02
Good one!

The bold face is weakening the SuperOXY need. The answer choices that weakens the argument also holds the same tone as bold face one.

Answer: B
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: INSEAD '14
GMAT Date: 08-15-2012
GPA: 3.57
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 17

Re: CR: SuperOXY [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2008, 03:14
B; because it carries the same "pow" tone as the boldfaced bit.

Life with the GMAT:

Jerome: Ben, c'est 20 secondes de plus qu'hier sur le meme parcours! C'etait bien le meme parcours la, non?!
Gigi: Mais t'enerve pas, Jerome, je crois que t'as accroche une porte.
Jerome: *$&#(*%&(*#%&

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: SuperOXY [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2008, 06:35
I would go with B as well.
where did you get this question from ?
VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: SuperOXY [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2008, 13:23
Another B.

B is saying that its useless to use such water which does not improve PP. PP will not improve because there is plenty of O2 available for people who are already working out.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: SuperOXY [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2008, 13:29
B because it strengthens the assertion that added Oxygen will be of no benefit since the blood already has more than enough.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: SuperOXY [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2008, 14:43
cannot be B at all

as it is negating the premise (performance decreases because of oxygen being absorbed by the muscles )

though A is not a very good option but still it is the best among all ...

so A for me too ...
Re: CR: SuperOXY   [#permalink] 22 Sep 2008, 14:43