Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 06:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2010, 09:48
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

60% (01:57) correct 40% (01:27) wrong based on 93 sessions
One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is the amount of oxygen that is absorbed by the muscles from the bloodstream. Accordingly, entrepreneurs have begun selling at gymnasiums and health clubs bottles of drinking water, labeled “SuperOXY,” that has extra oxygen dissolved in the water. Such water would be useless in improving physical performance, however, since the only way to get oxygen into the bloodstream so that it can be absorbed bye the muscles is through the lungs.
Which of the following, if true, would serve the same function in the argument as the statement in boldface?
A. the water lost in exercising can be replaced with ordinary tap water
B. the amount of oxygen in the blood of people who are exercising is already more than the muscle can absorb
C. world-class athletes turn in record performance without such water
D. frequent physical exercise increases the body’s ability to take in and use oxygen
E. lack of oxygen is not the only factor limiting human physical performance
OA :
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: One of the limiting factors in human physical performance [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2010, 12:09
msand wrote:
One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is the amount of oxygen that is absorbed by the muscles from the bloodstream. Accordingly, entrepreneurs have begun selling at gymnasiums and health clubs bottles of drinking water, labeled “SuperOXY,” that has extra oxygen dissolved in the water. Such water would be useless in improving physical performance, however, since the only way to get oxygen into the bloodstream so that it can be absorbed bye the muscles is through the lungs.
Which of the following, if true, would serve the same function in the argument as the statement in boldface?
B. the amount of oxygen in the blood of people who are exercising is already more than the muscle can absorb
D. frequent physical exercise increases the body’s ability to take in and use oxygen
OA :
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

can anyone please explain the OA??i thot the ans would be D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think you can,you can
If you think you can't,you are right.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: One of the limiting factors in human physical performance [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2010, 16:58
I'll try, my friend. OA is B because of the way the argument is set up. The bold text is the evidence to the claim that drinking water with oxygen in it won't help out physical performance. So out of the answer choices we're trying to find something else that would be used as evidence to support the same claim. Therefore, if we didn't know that oxygen in the stomach doesn't help it get absorbed to the muscles because it's not through the lungs which answer would make sense? It's B because B means that the body doesn't need MORE oxygen. Rather it needs to BETTER absorb the oxygen it already has. It's completely different evidence but if it's true then drinking oxygen in your water would just give more oxygen and the body wouldn't be able to absorb it and use it for enhanced performance. Does that make sense?

D is a true statement but it does not do anything for the argument. Frequent exercise has nothing to do with disproving the effectiveness of drinking water with oxygen it to ultimately help out muscle performance. It just has to do with muscle performance it self.

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: One of the limiting factors in human physical performance [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 09:46
The water lost in exercising can be replaced with ordinary tap water ( water can be replaced with original water only)

Similarly the oxygen lost can be replenished in the original way only.... i.e. thru lungs!!!

Thus I go for A. :?:
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 337

Kudos [?]: 1371 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: One of the limiting factors in human physical performance [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 12:45
You have to attack the main argument here. The main argument says that these waters are trying to replenish the body's oxygen content and promote physical performance. So you need to find an answer choice that says that even if this water contains the oxygen, it's not going to assimilated.

A is wrong because that says, "Okay you can ALSO do this by using tap water" which is not the same as saying "You CANNOT do this by using this OXY water".

B makes sense because it gives an alternate explanation as to why this product will fail. If the body is already at the maximum level of oxygen absorbency, no matter how much oxygen this water contains, it'll all be wasted.

C is absolutely irrelevant. If world class athletes can do it without this water, again, that doesn't mean that this water doesn't help in performance. It could just mean that they don't need that extra boost.

D in fact, strengthens the argument instead of weakening it by saying the body's ability to oxygen intake increases.

E seems to be an actual answer, but the problem with this is, even if there are other factors and oxygen unavailability IS one factor, then by providing more oxygen you're breaking down one of the factors even if it means that your performance goes up a tiny bit. Incomplete answer.

I hope this helps.
Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1081

Kudos [?]: 4864 [6] , given: 163

Re: One of the limiting factors in human physical performance [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 14:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
msand wrote:
OA :
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

Definitely an interesting boldface question.
I read the question stem first. I understand that I need to find the function of the statement in bold. Then I need to find an option that will play the same function, if it is incorporated in the argument.

Conclusion: 'SuperOXY' water would be useless in improving physical performance.

The bold portion "the only way to get oxygen into the bloodstream so that it can be absorbed bye the muscles is through the lungs" is a premise supporting the conclusion.

So I have to find the option that, if incorporated in the argument, will also function as a premise i.e. it will also support the conclusion. So in short, I am trying to find the option that strengthens the conclusion.

Option (A) is incorrect because it says that water lost can be replaced by tap water. It doesn't say how or why SuperOXY is useless in improving physical performance.
Option (B) says that amount of oxygen is already more than what the muscles can absorb. This means drinking SuperOXY will not improve physical performance because muscles anyway cannot absorb the extra oxygen. This option strengthens the conclusion. Hence this is the answer.
Option (C) says that people turn in great performance without this water. But it doesn't say that this water cannot further improve their performance.
Option (D) says that frequent physical exercise increases the body’s ability to take in and use oxygen. It doesn't say anything about how this water does not improve performance.
Option (E) says there are other factors affecting human physical performance but doesn't say that SuperOXY doesn't affect human physical performance.
Answer (B)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: One of the limiting factors in human physical performance [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 19:45
another problem with e seems to be that it is just paraphrasing what is already given in the argument. the argument starts off by saying: "One of the limiting factors" - so we already know there are other factors.. whats the point of having E? i eliminated e on that basis... not sure if that was the right approach though...
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1081

Kudos [?]: 4864 [0], given: 163

Re: One of the limiting factors in human physical performance [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 04:36
Expert's post
gmat1011 wrote:
another problem with e seems to be that it is just paraphrasing what is already given in the argument. the argument starts off by saying: "One of the limiting factors" - so we already know there are other factors.. whats the point of having E? i eliminated e on that basis... not sure if that was the right approach though...

Sure it makes sense. An option acting as a premise will have new information. Option (E) here doesn't. Good call.
Just be aware that sometimes what seems a rehash may actually be new. So be careful when eliminating options on that basis.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: One of the limiting factors in human physical performance [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 06:47
B...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 20

Re: One of the limiting factors in human physical performance [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2012, 17:29
misty1234 wrote:
The water lost in exercising can be replaced with ordinary tap water ( water can be replaced with original water only)

Similarly the oxygen lost can be replenished in the original way only.... i.e. thru lungs!!!

Thus I go for A. :?:

My reasoning is as follows:

By reading the argument, we know that the BF statement supports the conclusion and its position is reason. So, the answer choice also should be a reason that supports the conclusion.

A --> supports the conclusion and also a reason but it brings an external element, so irrelevant.
B --> supports the conclusion by acting as a reason. Keep this.
C --> supports the conclusion but it is an example, not reason.
D --> it is against the conclusion
E --> irrelevant to the discussion.

Hence select B.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2012, 22:32
+ 1 B

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

GMAT Tests User
Re: One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2012, 21:50
Clear B but not an easy one to comprehend
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE '15 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 06:19
B, but need to be cracked first. Not easy to do so. Did not do it within 2 mins
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 146 [1] , given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 11:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post

Last edited by dentobizz on 25 Nov 2013, 04:24, edited 1 time in total.
adding article links
Re: One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2013, 11:16