Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

One reason why European music has had such a strong

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 47

Re: European music [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 12:01
Great question and please reveal OA

I'm for A
Manager
Manager
Schools: Top Taiwanese university

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: European music [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 12:24
definitely D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

Re: European music [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 13:04
One reason why European music has had such a strong influence throughout the world, and why it is a sophisticated achievement, is that over time the original function of the music—whether ritual, dance, or worship—gradually became an aspect of its style, not its defining force. Dance music could stand independent of dance, for example, and sacred music independent of religious worship, because each composition has so much internal coherence that the music ultimately depends on nothing but itself.
The claims made above are compatible with each of the following EXCEPT:

Rephrase it: Which of the following is not contrary to the passage.
POE method is particularly effective on 700-level questions b/c the right choice would be so confusing on the verbal part.

A. European music has had such a strong influence throughout the world, but not the strongest
Means that some other continents' music migh have had more powerful effect on the world, and African music might be one of them. How is this answer incompatible with the argument. No how. Eliminate A.

(B) It does not contradict the passage at all. It just partially explains why European music has been so influential.

C. This answer is consitent with the following statement: the original function of the music—whether ritual, dance, or worship—gradually became an aspect of its style, not its defining force.

(E) No problem, the argument does not state that this rule is absolute. There might be some exceptions. This might be one of them.

That leaves D.

Hard work is the main determinant of success

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: European music [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 11:59
IMO A. OA Please?
Manager
Manager
Schools: University of Economics Prague

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: European music [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 15:14
so whats the Original Answer ???

You want somethin', go get it. Period!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 10

Re: European music [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 01:34
DEFINATELY D
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: European music [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 00:59
D

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 101

Re: European music [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 06:57
i think a
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 5

Re: European music [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 04:27
noboru wrote:
25. One reason why European music has had such a strong influence throughout the world, and why it is a sophisticated achievement, is that over time the original function of the music—whether ritual, dance, or worship—gradually became an aspect of its style, not its defining force. Dance music could stand independent of dance, for example, and sacred music independent of religious worship, because each composition has so much internal coherence that the music ultimately depends on nothing but itself.
The claims made above are compatible with each of the following EXCEPT:
(A) African music has had a more powerful impact on the world than European music has had.
(B) European military and economic expansionism partially explains the global influence of European music.
(C) The original functions of many types of Chinese music are no longer their defining forces.
(D) Music that is unintelligible when it is presented independently of its original function tends to be the most sophisticated music.
(E) Some works of art lose their appeal when they are presented to serve a function other than their original one.

Seems like an easy (D) to me. The key is that they're asking which choices the claims are COMPATIBLE with - not necessarily that the answers are DEFINITELY true, but that they COULD be true without contradicting the article.

(A) - The article states only that European music has had a large global influence - not that it had the LARGEST influence. African music could have had a larger influence without contradicting the article. Compatible.

(B) - The article states ONE OF the reasons why European music had a large global influence. This could certainly be ANOTHER reason, and it makes sense as one. Compatible.

(C) - The point the article makes is that the original functions of European music are no longer the defining forces - it makes no claim that ONLY European music has this quality. It could certainly be true of other music, like, say, Chinese. Compatible.

(D) - European music is globally influential because it stands alone without needing its original function - in other words, you don't have to include a ritualistic dance to appreciate the music being danced to, because the music is good enough on its own. This option states the exact opposite - the most sophisticated music is unintelligible without its original function, so it CAN'T stand alone. Complete contradiction - incompatible.

(E) - This is a direct inference from the article. If the global influence of European music can partially be attributed to the fact that it can stand alone without its original function, it would make sense that there are works of art which cannot stand alone without their original functions. Compatible.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: One reason why European music has had such a strong [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 21:32
Straight D . It clearly contradicts the major theme of the stimulus that the music is internally coherent. How can it be unintelligible and sophisticated at the same time?

squeakvm

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: One reason why European music has had such a strong [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2011, 01:27
Tough one. I've chosen A and got wrong. I agreed with the reasoning of 2 guys above. I didn't think about compatible when reasoning the answer choices.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 29

Re: One reason why European music has had such a strong [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2011, 03:34
IMO-D

Tough one for sure...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 15

Re: One reason why European music has had such a strong [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2011, 17:35
I pick D. It goes against the reasoning in the premise.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: One reason why European music has had such a strong [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 19:30
(A) African music has had a more powerful impact on the world than European music has had. - Pass - Compares influence of music.
(B) European military and economic expansionism partially explains the global influence of European music - Pass -Refers European musics influence
(C) The original functions of many types of Chinese music are no longer their defining forces. - Pass -Compares Chinese music's influence per se
(D) Music that is unintelligible when it is presented independently of its original function tends to be the most sophisticated music. Fail- The key words IMO are Unintelligible Vs Coherent and Sophisticated (in the main para)
(E) Some works of art lose their appeal when they are presented to serve a function other than their original one. - Very Generic statement
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 4

Re: One reason why European music has had such a strong [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2011, 08:04
i am still torn between A and D. I understand there is no mention of Africa in the passage. However in D the argument is too strong in mentioning most.

What is the correct answer?

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: One reason why European music has had such a strong [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2011, 10:30
+1D
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 51

Re: One reason why European music has had such a strong [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2012, 21:46
I chose A.I am still unable to comprehend how is it D,as this argument needs weakening and D is strengthening it!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: One reason why European music has had such a strong [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 04:18
if music would be this hard to digest then i will never hear one again,

but i have 5 choices, and the most irrelevant to the subject of music is WAR, so i choose A.

PEACE!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: One reason why European music has had such a strong [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2012, 01:06
I am baiting on B..,because it talk about military and other factors responsible for this ,but the qn is stating something else.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: One reason why European music has had such a strong [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2012, 21:07
D
Re: One reason why European music has had such a strong   [#permalink] 05 Jan 2012, 21:07