Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

One state adds a 7 percent sales tax to the price of most

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 15

One state adds a 7 percent sales tax to the price of most [#permalink] New post 16 May 2012, 20:40
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

82% (02:55) correct 18% (01:13) wrong based on 94 sessions
One state adds a 7 percent sales tax to the price of most products purchased within its jurisdiction. This tax, therefore, if viewed as tax on income, has the reverse effect of the federal income tax: the lower the income, the higher the annual percentage rate at which the income is taxed.
The conclusion above would be properly drawn if which of the following were assumed as a premise?
(A) The amount of money citizens spend on products subject to the state tax tends to be equal across income levels.
(B) The federal income tax favors citizens with high incomes, whereas the state sales tax favors citizens with low incomes.
(C) Citizens with low annual incomes can afford to pay a relatively higher percentage of their incomes in state sales tax, since their federal income tax is relatively low.
(D) The lower a state’s sales tax, the more it will tend to redistribute income from the more affluent citizens to the rest of society.
(E) Citizens who fail to earn federally taxable income are also exempt from the state sales tax.

Provide detailed explanations to your answer.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [1] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: SOLVE THIS One [#permalink] New post 16 May 2012, 21:15
This post received
KUDOS
My Answer : A

Premise : One state adds a 7 percent sales tax to the price of most products purchased within its jurisdiction. This tax, therefore, if viewed as tax on income, has the reverse effect of the federal income tax

Conclusions : the lower the income, the higher the annual percentage rate at which the income is taxed.

So here assumption is : Everybody, regardless of income level, would spend equal amount on goods they buy.

For Ex.
A person who earns $1000 / month, spend $ 100 to purchase a good so He would be paying 7$ as Sales tax, which, if considered, Income tax would be 0.70%

A person who earns $2000 / month, spend $ 100 to purchase a good so He would be paying 7$ as Sales tax, which, if considered, Income tax would be 0.35%

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: SOLVE THIS One [#permalink] New post 18 May 2012, 22:43
My answer is A too.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 19

Re: SOLVE THIS One [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 03:33
sahilkmr wrote:
My answer is A too.

Experts please help, this question is the bouncer went over my head.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 287

Kudos [?]: 641 [3] , given: 6

Re: SOLVE THIS One [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 11:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
piyushksharma wrote:
One state adds a 7 percent sales tax to the price of most products purchased within its jurisdiction. This tax, therefore, if viewed as tax on income, has the reverse effect of the federal income tax: the lower the income, the higher the annual percentage rate at which the income is taxed.
The conclusion above would be properly drawn if which of the following were assumed as a premise?
(A) The amount of money citizens spend on products subject to the state tax tends to be equal across income levels.
(B) The federal income tax favors citizens with high incomes, whereas the state sales tax favors citizens with low incomes.
(C) Citizens with low annual incomes can afford to pay a relatively higher percentage of their incomes in state sales tax, since their federal income tax is relatively low.
(D) The lower a state’s sales tax, the more it will tend to redistribute income from the more affluent citizens to the rest of society.
(E) Citizens who fail to earn federally taxable income are also exempt from the state sales tax.

You have to really understand the structure of the sentence here in order to figure out what direction you're going.
If you read this sentence with the part following the ":" as describing the federal income tax, you would be wrong.

The portion after the ":" is actually describing "this tax". We just know that "this tax" has the reverse effect of "federal income tax" - why? Because of the material after the ":" - higher % taxes when income is lower.

So, it's "this tax" that has higher % of taxes when income is lower....NOT that federal income tax has higher % tax rate on lower income people.

How do we know that "this tax" has a higher % of taxes? Well, we have one statement/fact that sales tax is 7%. In order to support and strengthen the link between assumption and argument (ie sales tax being 7% affecting "this tax" having higher tax % for lower income ppl)?

Well, if we know that everyone spends the same amount on products and pays the same amount in sales tax (in terms of actual dollar figures), then we know for sure that the % on the lower income ppl is going to be higher.

$10 in sales tax on $100 income is 10%.
$10 in sales tax on $1000 income is 1%.
Clearly, the rich guy is paying lower sales tax as a percentage of overall income, while paying equally in terms of actual sales tax dollars paid.

The reason why this matters is it can be entirely true that rich ppl buy more products and as a result pay more in overall sales taxes. It's quite possible that rich ppl pay $100 in sales taxes because they buy more, and as a % of overall income it's equal to poor people at 10%.

By introducing the fact that everyone spends the same, we eliminate this possibility leaving the only possibility that poorer people pay higher % of their income toward these sales taxes.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Expert Post
Followers: 268

Kudos [?]: 2297 [0], given: 692

Re: SOLVE THIS One [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 17:26
Expert's post
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: SOLVE THIS One [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 20:17
Thank you for a very good explanation GmatPill.

I went with A as well. :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: SOLVE THIS One [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 07:34
Great question!

Nice explanation by the GMATpill Instructor.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SOLVE THIS One [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 20:40
Great explanation from gmatpill.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 18

Re: SOLVE THIS One [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 21:36
Nice question,good explanation
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: SOLVE THIS One [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 06:07
Great Question and an equally amazing explanation by GMAT Pill.. thanks

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 4

Re: SOLVE THIS One [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 08:26
very difficult one. got A in 2:19 :-/
btw nice explanation by gmatpill.

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 6

Re: SOLVE THIS One [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 08:12
A by POE.
Excellent breakdown by GMATPill.

Posted from my mobile device Image

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 166

GMAT Tests User
Re: One state adds a 7 percent sales tax to the price of most [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2012, 00:13
This post received
KUDOS

Consider two citizens - Mr R ( Mr rich) and Mr P ( Mr Poor)
Income of R per year : $1000
Amount of money spent on different products by R per year = $10
Amount of sales tax R has to pay = 7% of $10 = $ 0.7
Annual percentage on which the income of R is taxed = .07/1000 * 100 = .007%
Income of P per year: $100
Amount of money spent on different products by P per year = $10
Amount of sales tax R has to pay = 7% of $10 = $ 0.7
Annual percentage on which the income of R is taxed = .07/100 * 100 = .007%

So, we find that if the amount of money citizens spend on products subject to the state tax tends to be equal across income levels, then the lower the income, the higher the annual percentage rate at which the income is taxed.
Hence (A) is indispensible for the conclusion. So, this is the correct answer choice
This option does not give a quantitative analysis as to how there would be higher annual percentage rate of taxation when income is lower.
We are not concerned whether people can afford to pay the tax or not. We are interested to now why there would be higher annual percentage rateof taxation when income is lower.
This is out of scope. We are not bothered whether income is redistributed from the more affluent citizens to the rest of society.
This is also out of scope. This doesnt explain why there would be higher annual percentage rate of taxation when income is lower.

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: One state adds a 7 percent sales tax to the price of most [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2012, 01:15
Oops i thought B. Dint really understand the question, took a guess as time was running out ;(

good explanation by gmatpill and praticegmat

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 26

Re: One state adds a 7 percent sales tax to the price of most [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2012, 03:18
me too .. as the time was running out i chose B in 2:11 :(
then i read the question again and got A right ..
didnt understnd the question at the first go :( :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: One state adds a 7 percent sales tax to the price of most [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2012, 22:44
i picked A. whats the OA. I think A pass the negation test.

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT / INSEAD / IIM - ABC

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 7

Re: One state adds a 7 percent sales tax to the price of most [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 00:02
piyushksharma wrote:

My 2 cents:

By reading the premises, i could infer: there is a sales tax applicable on all the products - connection of this tax on income levels - which is NEGATIVE - So, possibly people are paying equal taxes across income levels

(A) Same as i prephrased
(B) There's no indication of favoring income levels mentioned. So, OOS
(C) It doesn't say talk about low income tax for lower level of income
(D) Out of scope
(E) Again out of scope

Partly used prephrasing of assumption & partly POE technique

Cheers
GODSPEED
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: One state adds a 7 percent sales tax to the price of most [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 02:39
Picked B.
After reading the reply by Gmat Pill, I now understand why it is A.
Thank you GMAT Pill.
Re: One state adds a 7 percent sales tax to the price of most   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2012, 02:39