Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Apr 2014, 19:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

One sure way you can tell how quickly a new idea,for

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 491 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
One sure way you can tell how quickly a new idea,for [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 10:26
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (medium)

Question Stats:

43% (02:35) correct 56% (01:49) wrong based on 182 sessions
One sure way you can tell how quickly a new idea,for example, the idea of "privatization" ,is taking hold among the population is to monitor how fast the word or words expressing that particular idea are passing into common usage. Professional opinions of whether or not words can indeed be said to have passed into common usage are available from dictionary editors, who are vitally concerned with this question.

The method described above for determining how quickly a new idea is taking hold relies on which one of the following assumptions?

(A) Dictionary editors are not professionally interested in words that are only rarely used.

(B) Dictionary editors have exact numerical criteria for telling when a word has passed into common usage.

(C) For a new idea to take hold, dictionary editors have to include the relevant word or words in their dictionaries.

(D) As a word passes into common usages, its meaning does not undergo any severe distortions in the process.

(E) Words denoting new ideas tend to be used before the ideas denoted are understood.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Last edited by Marcab on 08 May 2013, 06:55, edited 1 time in total.
Added the OA
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 237

Kudos [?]: 578 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: tough cr [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 12:08
This post received
KUDOS
siddharthasingh wrote:
One sure way you can tell how quickly a new idea,for example, the idea of "privatization" ,is taking hold among the population is to monitor how fast the word or words expressing that particular idea are passing into common usage. Professional opinions of whether or not words can indeed be said to have passed into common usage are available from dictionary editors, who are vitally concerned with this question.

The method described above for determining how quickly a new idea is taking hold relies on which one of the following assumptions?

(A) Dictionary editors are not professionally interested in words that are only rarely used.

(B) Dictionary editors have exact numerical criteria for telling when a word has passed into common usage.

(C) For a new idea to take hold, dictionary editors have to include the relevant word or words in their dictionaries.

(D) As a word passes into common usages, its meaning does not undergo any severe distortions in the process.

(E) Words denoting new ideas tend to be used before the ideas denoted are understood.

The answer should be D. The argument is about whether the public understands a "new idea". It suggests we can determine that by seeing whether the words which denote that idea are in common usage. But words can have multiple meanings. If the meaning of the word changes, the public might use the word without understanding the original idea at all, which is what D says.

That's more or less what has happened with a word like "deconstruct", which is used fairly often in casual speech to mean "break down" or "dissect", but which has quite a different meaning in philosophy. You couldn't say that the public understands "deconstruction" just by looking at how often that word is used, because the meaning of the word has become distorted.

If it isn't clear why D is right, I think you can arrive at the answer through process of elimination. A is not an assumption; editors can be interested both in common and in rare words and the argument still holds. For B, we don't care at all whether the criteria used are 'numerical'. For C, the argument has nothing to do with words in dictionaries; it is only about the opinions of dictionary editors. And for E, there is nothing in the argument about which comes first: usage of words or understanding of words (and in fact if E is true, it partially invalidates the argument, since a word might be used without anyone understanding it). So that just leaves D.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 115 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: tough cr [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 10:32
i am stuck in bet B & C. I will pick C.
whats the OA!!!

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: tough cr [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 10:46
Expert's post
I will provide the OA after some discussion because even I am not convinced of OA.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 46

Re: tough cr [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 13:17
siddharthasingh wrote:

how quickly a new idea is taking hold -> depends on -> how fast the word or words expressing that particular idea.
opinions of whether or not words can indeed be said -> depends on -> dictionary editors.
D is the perfect assumption in this scenario because words can have multiple meanings and passing the correct meaning depends on dictionary editors. Hope it helps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: tough cr [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 17:44
I agree that D makes the most sense.

A) actually dictionary editors love rare words...
B) irrelevant
C) mixing up cause and effect
D) YEAH!
E) it doesn't say anything about whether or not people understand the idea.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: tough cr [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 22:09
Expert's post
Conclusion: The dictionary editors are concerned with the question whether the new word has passed into the common usage.
Now if we negate A, which says that dictionary editors are not professionally in the words that are rarely used, then it comes out that dictionary editors are professionally interested in words that are rarely used. Now if this is the case, then the argument falls apart.
Please let me know if I am missing something.

Rules For Posting

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: tough cr [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 00:03
Method to determine if a certain idea is taking hold on the population is to measure the speed at which the word is seeping into the common usage among the general population. ie: the meaning remains constant (Idea and the word are interchangable)
Dictionary editors are concerned with the opinions whether or not the word can be said to have passed into common usage. ie: Dictionary editors doubt their method of determining the link between idea and its meaning and the usage of the word among general populance.

Question:
Assuming: Spread of Idea = Word usage among general populance
What is the assumption on which the above method rely?

(B) Dictionary editors have exact numerical criteria for telling when a word has passed into common usage. - Irrelevant - Incorrect
(C) For a new idea to take hold, dictionary editors have to include the relevant word or words in their dictionaries. - Its the other way round that is stated in the passage. - Incorrect
(E) Words denoting new ideas tend to be used before the ideas denoted are understood. - It is stated in the passage that the idea is spread with common usage. Understanding the idea is not mentioned in the passage - Incorrect

(D) As a word passes into common usages, its meaning does not undergo any severe distortions in the process. - It is mentioned in the passage that idea spread in to common usage, with the word used in common usage has the same meaning as that of the intial idea. - Not an assumption - Incorrect

(A) Dictionary editors are not professionally interested in words that are only rarely used. - Reversing the meaning of the statement - Editors are professionally interested in the words that are rarely used - this means the idea spread into common usage will not interest editors which is against the assumption that the passage makes. Hence the correct answer - Correct

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Re: tough cr [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 05:06
Per me best method for resolving these types of question is to take the conclusion and see if conclusion still holds good if argument fails. If it does then thats the answer. Going with this approach only option D takes a stand because if the meaning of the word is distorted once it becomes the part of comman usage that means that idea never becaome popular which is opposite of the conclusion

Please give kudos if you like my reply!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GPA: 3.4

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 12

Re: One sure way you can tell how quickly a new idea,for [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 06:20
Good one. I was very confused between 'C' and 'D' but now I have understood why C and not D.

(C) For a new idea to take hold, dictionary editors have to include the relevant word or words in their dictionaries. -
There are two points mentioned in the argument - 1st (One sure way about how the new idea is taking hold among population is to monitor how fast the word expressing the idea are passing into common usage ) and 2nd (Professional opinion of the dictionary editor about if the words are passed into common usage. This is just an opinion and there is no mention/hint in the argument about the possible assumption based on the opinion of dictionary editor, Whether or not dictionary editors have to include these words in dictionary is out of question)

Correct - The assumption is that the word/words pertaining to a new idea are completely understood and that the meaning of the words is not distorted.
Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: One sure way you can tell how quickly a new idea,for [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 09:41
i picked up d

whats the oa??

as the word emphasised in the argument is idea
i think the author means to say that the whole idea is carried to people by the word
so its distortion means the change in idea which is not discussed

just one more month for exam...

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 254

Premium Member
Re: One sure way you can tell how quickly a new idea,for [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 20:27
My take D

Strange , OA is not out till now !!!

VeritasPrep#1 700
GMATPrep#1 650
GMATPrep#2 710
VeritasPrep#2 680

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 22

Re: tough cr [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 05:42
Marcab wrote:
I will provide the OA after some discussion because even I am not convinced of OA.

Hey Guys,
Request you all to post the Official answer along with the question. The guy who posted the question about a year back and said he will post the answer after some discussion , hasnt gotten to it yet. And I cant stop noticing that, that poster has a link ,in his signature, to "Rules for posting" and one of the rule is "post official OA's along with the question" .
I do not intend to be rude and apologize if I come along so , But I have noticed this pattern , a lot on GMATClub forum that many people do not post the OA's along with the question , saying the will do so after some discussion , but forget about it after a while. And years go by and people still keep asking for official OA's . Whereas , when you see forums like manhattan , the poster is forced to post OA , before they proceed with disussions on the question, which makes it so complete . But no body attends to the rules here and nobody cares . I am stressing on this fact, cos it wastes a lot of the users time who have to dig through other forums to find the official answers .
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: One sure way you can tell how quickly a new idea,for [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 06:54
Expert's post
Here you go brother, the answer is D. I am also adding the OA.
Sorry for the inconvenience and this will not be repeated.

Rules For Posting

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 22

Re: One sure way you can tell how quickly a new idea,for [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 07:01
Marcab wrote:
Here you go brother, the answer is D. I am also adding the OA.
Sorry for the inconvenience and this will not be repeated.

Am a Sister , and not brother ! :)
Well , thank you so much, for reverting on my question on such short period. Appreciate it !!

-Jyothi
Re: One sure way you can tell how quickly a new idea,for   [#permalink] 08 May 2013, 07:01