Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:57 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6117 [35]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [13]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [5]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618656 [1]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Re: One sure way you can tell how quickly a new idea—for example, the idea [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
broall wrote:
One sure way you can tell how quickly a new idea—for example, the idea of “privatization”—is taking hold among the population is to monitor how fast the word or words expressing that particular idea are passing into common usage. Professional opinions of whether or not words can indeed be said to have passed into common usage are available from dictionary editors, who are vitally concerned with this question.

The method described above for determining how quickly a new idea is taking hold relies on which one of the following assumptions?

(A) Dictionary editors are not professionally interested in words that are only rarely used.
(B) Dictionary editors have exact numerical criteria for telling when a word has passed into common usage.
(C) For a new idea to take hold, dictionary editors have to include the relevant word or words in their dictionaries.
(d) As a word passes into common usages, its meaning does not undergo any severe distortions in the process.
(E) Words denoting new ideas tend to be used before the ideas denoted are understood.

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

(A) No. This would weaken the argument. To determine how quickly words enter into common use, dictionary editors should have a professional interest and awareness of words that have not yet reached popular usage.

(B) No. The passage refers to “professional opinions,” not to any exact criteria.

(C) No. The passage is arguing that dictionaries are a means of measuring how quickly a new idea is accepted, not the arbiters of whether a new idea will be accepted.

(D) Yes. If the meaning of a word has changed to the point that it no longer stands for the concept it originally stood for, then the fact that it is in common use does not mean that the original concept is in common use. For example, the word “bad” when used as slang can mean “good.”

(E) No. This would weaken the argument. If a word denoting a new idea is commonly used but typically not understood, then the word’s popularity will falsely indicate how quickly the idea it denotes is taking hold.
General Discussion
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: One sure way you can tell how quickly a new idea—for example, the idea [#permalink]
Kudos
One sure way you can tell how quickly a new idea—for example, the idea of “privatization”—is taking hold among the population is to monitor how fast the word or words expressing that particular idea are passing into common usage. Professional opinions of whether or not words can indeed be said to have passed into common usage are available from dictionary editors, who are vitally concerned with this question.

The method described above for determining how quickly a new idea is taking hold relies on which one of the following assumptions?

(A) Dictionary editors are not professionally interested in words that are only rarely used. --What editors are interested in is out of scope
(B) Dictionary editors have exact numerical criteria for telling when a word has passed into common usage. --Even if they don't have exact criteria they can still tell when a word has gone into common usage.
(C) For a new idea to take hold, dictionary editors have to include the relevant word or words in their dictionaries. --Even if they don't include words in dictionary, editors can tell whether a word is being used commonly
(d) As a word passes into common usages, its meaning does not undergo any severe distortions in the process. --Correct
(E) Words denoting new ideas tend to be used before the ideas denoted are understood. --This weakens the argument
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Hi Can anyone help me in first understanding the argument, i am getting confused in the second part (profession........) and how does it link to the argument.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GPA: 3.56
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
One sure way you can tell how quickly a new idea—for example, the idea [#permalink]
This really is a difficult question and I got it correct ( I took 4 minutes, though).
I will explain my way.
Let's break the argument into pieces and understand structure.

Premise: One sure way you can tell how quickly a new idea is taking hold among the population is to monitor how fast the word or words expressing that particular idea are passing into common usage.
Premise: Example of this is the idea of “privatization”
Premise/Intermediate statement: whether or not words can indeed be said to have passed into common usage.
Conclusion:Professional opinions of are available from dictionary editors, who are vitally concerned with this question.

Premise(s) + Assumption = Conclusion
we have premises and conclusion. Now, we need to fill the gap by finding correct information that helps us to derive the conclusion stated.

(A) Dictionary editors are not professionally interested in words that are only rarely used.<== Keep this as it talks about things in conclusion - Dictionary editors, their professional interests and usage of words.

(B) Dictionary editors have exact numerical criteria for telling when a word has passed into common usage. <== Numerical data...?Really..? clearly out of scope. Eliminate

(C) For a new idea to take hold, dictionary editors have to include the relevant word or words in their dictionaries. <== Its reversing the phenomenon by saying first editors include relevant word or words and then idea is passed. Then this means its true for all the words that exist and it becomes extreme. Eliminate

(D) As a word passes into common usages, its meaning does not undergo any severe distortions in the process. <== I found this difficult to comprehend and hence NOT sure if this can be eliminated. This has something related to premise; words, their common usages, changes to meaning (implying dictionary editors need to be pulled in). Keep it.

(E) Words denoting new ideas tend to be used before the ideas denoted are understood.<== really...? People start using words without understanding meaning implies idea is NOT taking hold despite words going in common usage. This is not stated in premise(s) Eliminate

Okay, Now with process of elimination we have narrowed down the answer choices to 'A' and 'D'. Now, Let's Check/Analyze further.

(A) Dictionary editors are not professionally interested in words that are only rarely used.
<== Although, it talks about things in conclusion - Dictionary editors, their professional interests and usage of words.Premise talks about (can be inferred that) 'Dictionary editors are professionally interested in words that go into common usages'.
That is answer choice is saying something - which may be true, may NOT true - that Premise doesn't talk anything about.
Its like premise says, IF 'X', THEN 'Y'. However, this answer choice says, If NOT X, THEN NOT 'Y'.
Eliminate... Eliminate.. .[/color]

Now, we are left with one option - option 'D'. And that's our final answer.

(D) As a word passes into common usages, its meaning does not undergo any severe distortions in the process.
No matter how awkward/weird it looks to you, no matter how much you comprehend the remaining answer choice, that's going to be answer choice. (I took 2 minutes reading this option D again and again and click on 'D', which was waste of time :dazed )
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: One sure way you can tell how quickly a new ideafor example, the idea [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: One sure way you can tell how quickly a new ideafor example, the idea [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts