Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 14:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

One variety of partially biodegradable plastic beverage

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
One variety of partially biodegradable plastic beverage [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2006, 09:16
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (02:35) correct 32% (01:57) wrong based on 382 sessions
One variety of partially biodegradable plastic beverage container is manufactured from small bits of plastic bound together by a degradable bonding agent such as cornstarch. Since only the bonding agent degrades, leaving the small bits of plastic, no less plastic refuse per container is produced when such containers are discarded than when comparable nonbiodegradable containers are discarded.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument above?

(A) Both partially biodegradable and nonbiodegradable plastic beverage containers can be crushed completely flat by refuse compactors.
(B) The partially biodegradable plastic beverage containers are made with more plastic than comparable nonbiodegradable ones in order to compensate for the weakening effect of the bounding agents.
(C) Many consumers are ecology-minded and prefer to buy a product sold in the partially biodegradable plastic beverage containers rather than in nonbiodegradable containers, even if the price is higher.
(D) The manufacturing process for the partially biodegradable plastic beverage containers results in less plastic waste than the manufacturing process for nonbiodegradable plastic beverage containers.
(E) Technological problems with recycling currently prevent the reuse as food or beverage containers of the plastic from either type of plastic beverage container.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2006, 09:31
B it is...

any point that proves that biodegradable containers will yield as much as or more plastic than non-bio... container will be the answer.

The other answers are either out of scope and unrelated or contradictory.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2006, 10:24
Should be B.
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2006, 11:22
B clear winner...

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2006, 17:46
Can anyone pls explain..How 'B' strengthens the argument...

B - is an assumption.

The argument talks about 'plastic refuse'

no less plastic refuse per container is produced when such containers are discarded than when comparable nonbiodegradable containers are discarded.

I will go for 'D'. It reinstates the above argument with a more clearer definition.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2006, 18:16
This post received
KUDOS
The conclusion of the argument says : you do not throw less plastic away with the bio one than with the normal when you discard them. But to explain this it only says that plastic and cornstarch are used, it does not say that more plastic is actually in the bottle. But B tells us that !
So B does strengthens the argument.

I also did not have the right vision before Veritas prepcourse, but a very important point is that an assumption strengthens an argument. Even if it only strengthens it a little bit, if it is the one which stengthens it the more compared to the other 4, it is enough.

D tells us about the waste of plastic during the manufacturing process, not about the plastic of the bottle itself, on which you should focus, as the argument focuses on the refuse (=garbage) => D is out of scope.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2006, 18:39
Hi marclopato,

Thank you for your explanation and the tip assumption strengthens an argument .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Solution [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2006, 20:22
B is the correct answer that strenthens the argument.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2006, 05:41
If I remember correctly, I think the OA is B because even though product is partially biodegradable, more plastic was used to make it

I believe its yogurt!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2006, 07:29
yup,

It's B.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2006, 17:42
OA and OE Please...
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 08:33
Thanks guys.

OA is B.

OE:

The information that strengthens the arguement will be about the subjects of the arguement, not about tangential issues. In this case, discovering that the partially biodegradable containers use more plastic than comparable non-biodegradable one in order to compensate for the weakness of the biodegradable bonding agent would strengthen the arguement.

Regards,
Brajesh
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 20:59
Thank you for posting the OE..

We also get to hear the original questionares explanation..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 46

Re: One variety of partially biodegradable plastic beverage [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2013, 11:02
b14kumar wrote:
One variety of partially biodegradable plastic beverage container is manufactured from small bits of plastic bound together by a degradable bonding agent such as cornstarch. Since only the bonding agent degrades, leaving the small bits of plastic, no less plastic refuse per container is produced when such containers are discarded than when comparable nonbiodegradable containers are discarded.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument above?

(A) Both partially biodegradable and nonbiodegradable plastic beverage containers can be crushed completely flat by refuse compactors.
(B) The partially biodegradable plastic beverage containers are made with more plastic than comparable nonbiodegradable ones in order to compensate for the weakening effect of the bounding agents.
(C) Many consumers are ecology-minded and prefer to buy a product sold in the partially biodegradable plastic beverage containers rather than in nonbiodegradable containers, even if the price is higher.
(D) The manufacturing process for the partially biodegradable plastic beverage containers results in less plastic waste than the manufacturing process for nonbiodegradable plastic beverage containers.
(E) Technological problems with recycling currently prevent the reuse as food or beverage containers of the plastic from either type of plastic beverage container.

Need help in understanding the content of the argument & also explain every answer choice.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: One variety of partially biodegradable plastic beverage [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2013, 11:58
The difficulty here is that the argument stresses that there is NO INHERENT BENEFIT to this type of bottle.

Thus, STRENGTHENING is something to say that this type of bottle is BAD (B).

Weakening would be to say that it is good (D).

A) is Out of Scope because it talks about being crushed flat, not waste per bottle as in the argument.

C) is Out of Scope because it is about customer preference, not about amount of waste per bottle.

E) is Out of Scope because it is about HOW the bottle will be reused, not the amount of waste per bottle.

Looking to Maximize your GMAT Score in a Minimum of Time? PM ME!

I am Rowan Hand, a London GMAT Tutor, Consultant, and Coach. Based in the UK--available anywhere!

SVP
SVP
Followers: 237

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: One variety of partially biodegradable plastic beverage [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2014, 15:12
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: One variety of partially biodegradable plastic beverage   [#permalink] 27 Jul 2014, 15:12