Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 23:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

One variety of partially biodegradable plastic beverage

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2007
Posts: 53
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

One variety of partially biodegradable plastic beverage [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2008, 13:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

75% (02:31) correct 25% (01:39) wrong based on 15 sessions
One variety of partially biodegradable plastic beverage container is manufactured from small bits of plastic bound together by a degradable bonding agent such as cornstarch. Since only the bonding agent degrades, leaving the small bits of plastic, no less plastic refuse per container is produced when such container are discarded than when comparable nonbiodegradable containers are discarded.

Which of the following, if true, most weak strengthens the arguement above?

(A)Both partially biodegradable and non-biodegradable plastic beverage containers can be crushed completely flat by refuse compactors.
(B)The partially biodegradable plastic beverage container are made with more plastic than comparable nonbiodegradable ones in order to compensate for the weakening effect of the bonding agents.
(C)Many consumers are ecology-minded and prefer to buy a product sold in partially biodegradable plastic beverage containers rather than in nonbiodegradable containers, even if the price is higher.
(D)The manufacturing process for partially biodegradable plastic beverage containers results in less plastic than the manufacturing plastic beverage containers.
(E) Technological problems with recycling currently prevent the reuse as food or beverage containers of the plastic from either type of plastic beverage container.

help me understand the question please. this makes me irritate because most of the time i mark wrong answers. can nybody help me out in these type of questions.


-thanx
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2007
Posts: 793
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - variety biodegradable ! [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2008, 17:27
Conclusion: Biodegradable (B) and non- biodegradable (NB) containers generate same amount of plastic waste per container

Weakens conclusion:

(A)Both partially biodegradable and non-biodegradable plastic beverage containers can be crushed completely flat by refuse compactors [The argument is about plastic waste per container (Biodegradable (B) and non- biodegradable (NB)). Therefore this is completely irrelevant to the argument – Eliminate it]
(B)The partially biodegradable plastic beverage container is made with more plastic than comparable non-biodegradable ones in order to compensate for the weakening effect of the bonding agents [weakens the argument that both B and N-B generates same waste per container - hold it].
(C)Many consumers are ecology-minded and prefer to buy a product sold in partially biodegradable plastic beverage containers rather than in non-biodegradable containers, even if the price is higher. [This argument is not about consumer buying habits – Eliminate it]
(D)The manufacturing process for partially biodegradable plastic beverage containers results in less plastic than the manufacturing plastic beverage containers. [This argument is not about manufacturing process of Biodegradable OR non- biodegradable – Eliminate it]
(E) Technological problems with recycling currently prevent the reuse as food or beverage containers of the plastic from either type of plastic beverage container. [ Technological usage or problems are definately out of the scope of the argument – Eliminate it]

Answer: B
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2007
Posts: 1102
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - variety biodegradable ! [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2008, 05:07
vermatanya wrote:
One variety of partially biodegradable plastic beverage container is manufactured from small bits of plastic bound together by a degradable bonding agent such as cornstarch. Since only the bonding agent degrades, leaving the small bits of plastic, no less plastic refuse per container is produced when such container are discarded than when comparable nonbiodegradable containers are discarded.

Which of the following, if true, most weak strengthens the arguement above?

(A)Both partially biodegradable and non-biodegradable plastic beverage containers can be crushed completely flat by refuse compactors.
(B)The partially biodegradable plastic beverage container are made with more plastic than comparable nonbiodegradable ones in order to compensate for the weakening effect of the bonding agents.
(C)Many consumers are ecology-minded and prefer to buy a product sold in partially biodegradable plastic beverage containers rather than in nonbiodegradable containers, even if the price is higher.
(D)The manufacturing process for partially biodegradable plastic beverage containers results in less plastic than the manufacturing plastic beverage containers.
(E) Technological problems with recycling currently prevent the reuse as food or beverage containers of the plastic from either type of plastic beverage container.

help me understand the question please. this makes me irritate because most of the time i mark wrong answers. can nybody help me out in these type of questions.


-thanx


we must find a reason for what both types generate the same plastic refuse. I was tricked by E because the result is that recycling doesn't occurr...but we care for only the amount of plastic, thus B is best.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2007
Posts: 187
Schools: Wharton
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - variety biodegradable ! [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2008, 09:09
The question is wrong.

"Most weak strengthens the argument?"

What is weak strengthen?

If its strengthen - then the answer is B
If its weaken - then the answer is D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Aug 2007
Posts: 370
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - variety biodegradable ! [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2008, 14:42
sterny wrote:
The question is wrong.

"Most weak strengthens the argument?"

What is weak strengthen?

If its strengthen - then the answer is B
If its weaken - then the answer is D


I second that I got the same answers for both
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 03 Sep 2006
Posts: 889
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 33

Re: CR - variety biodegradable ! [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2008, 17:32
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Weakens:
Conclusion is that " no less plastic refuse per container is produced when such container are discarded than when comparable nonbiodegradable containers are discarded."

"D": This indicates that the conclusion isn't true, because for partially biodegradable plastic beverage containers results in less plastic than the manufacturing plastic beverage containers. So it's not same as the conclusion says.

Strengthens:
Conclusion is that " no less plastic refuse per container is produced when such container are discarded than when comparable non biodegradable containers are discarded."

"B": This supports the conclusion that using partially biodegradable plastic beverage containers is not going to result in less plastic refuse because already it needs more plastic in order to compensate for the weak bonding agents.

Please Post the OA.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1941
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: CR - variety biodegradable ! [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2008, 19:59
LM wrote:
Weakens:
Conclusion is that " no less plastic refuse per container is produced when such container are discarded than when comparable nonbiodegradable containers are discarded."

"D": This indicates that the conclusion isn't true, because for partially biodegradable plastic beverage containers results in less plastic than the manufacturing plastic beverage containers. So it's not same as the conclusion says.

I think "comparable nonbiodegradable" is not the same as "manufacturing plastic". The latter one does not say whether it is biodegradable or not? It is out side of the comparison here.

Strengthens:
Conclusion is that " no less plastic refuse per container is produced when such container are discarded than when comparable non biodegradable containers are discarded."

"B": This supports the conclusion that using partially biodegradable plastic beverage containers is not going to result in less plastic refuse because already it needs more plastic in order to compensate for the weak bonding agents.

Please Post the OA.

_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2012
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 9

Re: One variety of partially biodegradable plastic beverage [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2013, 08:35
OA for this is one is B. OG Guide 13. It's a strengthen, not weaken.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: GMAT_Hound
Joined: 04 Jun 2013
Posts: 339
Location: India
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: Fuqua, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: One variety of partially biodegradable plastic beverage [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 13:23
Expert's post
This Q is present in Both OG 12 and 13. This is a strengthen question.
I am providing the solutions for those who may need it in future.
A. Crushed completely Flat -- > Does this measure qty. of plastic used in both? What if they were of different dimensions!
B. Partial containers have more plastic than non-biodegradable ones. Sounds good , let's hold on to that.
C. So what if consumers prefers something ?
D. We are not interested in the manufacturing process, we want to strengthen the end result.
E. Same as D. Why do we think of tech problems?

OA is B
_________________

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Posts: 1611
Location: New York, NY
Followers: 295

Kudos [?]: 694 [2] , given: 6

Re: One variety of partially biodegradable plastic beverage [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 20:54
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Some of you may be confused on the wording here:

"no less plastic refuse per container is produced"

This is the same as "the same (or even more) plastic refuse per container is produced"

You don't need to know what "plastic refuse" is....but the idea is that when comparing the two approaches, the *same or more* amount of plastic is produced. Why?

We have a hint -- but the hint does not entirely give the explanation. THat hint his:

"Since only the bonding agent degrades, leaving the small bits of plastic..."
_________________


... and more


Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)


GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 2311
Followers: 277

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: One variety of partially biodegradable plastic beverage [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2014, 16:12
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: One variety of partially biodegradable plastic beverage   [#permalink] 19 Sep 2014, 16:12
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
13 Experts publish their posts in the topic Plastic beverage containers manufactured from GMATPill 12 18 Sep 2013, 12:48
1 Plastic TomB 2 19 Jul 2011, 11:39
Beverage company representative: The plastic rings that hold rampuria 7 02 Oct 2008, 07:05
6 One variety of partially biodegradable plastic beverage b14kumar 15 12 Jun 2006, 09:16
1 One variety of partially biodegradable plastic beverage Taku 7 15 Apr 2005, 23:07
Display posts from previous: Sort by

One variety of partially biodegradable plastic beverage

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.