Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 16:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

One view of the economy contends that a large drop in oil

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 2922
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 82 [1] , given: 0

One view of the economy contends that a large drop in oil [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2006, 21:17
1
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

75% (01:35) correct 25% (00:56) wrong based on 118 sessions
One view of the economy contends that a large drop in oil prices should eventually lead to lowering interest rates, as well as lowering fears about inflation, a rally in stocks and bonds, and a weakening of the dollar.

(A) lowering interest rates, as well as lowering fears about inflation,
(B) a lowering of interest rates and of fears about inflation,
(C) a lowering of interest rates, along with fears about inflation,
(D) interest rates being lowered, along with fears about inflation,
(E) interest rates and fears about inflation being lowered, with
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008


Last edited by ankurgupta03 on 10 Apr 2014, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.
added the OA
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2006
Posts: 36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2006, 23:35
I'd go with (B), because a lowering is parallel with a rally and a weakening.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 05 Feb 2006
Posts: 904
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2006, 01:11
This one is clearly between B and C....

I choose B because in C along with fears about inflation is not parallel to a rally and a weakening.....
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5252
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2006, 01:15
a drop in X should lead to a lowering in Y~

(B) is better than C because both interest rates and fears are being lowered.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 2922
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2006, 06:01
GMATT73 wrote:
a drop in X should lead to a lowering in Y~

(B) is better than C because both interest rates and fears are being lowered.

OA is B.
_________________

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 3403
Location: New York City
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

 [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 11:11
goin with B..

PS-Dhayia...come on now that was an easy one...one would expect a tough SC from you... :)
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2004
Posts: 1474
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

 [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 11:37
fresinha12 wrote:
goin with B..

PS-Dhayia...come on now that was an easy one...one would expect a tough SC from you... :)


These are very old posts :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2007
Posts: 463
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 23:17
Between B and C, I chose B.

Along with was unnecessary. and was better.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2011
Posts: 191
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 4

Re: One view of the economy contends that a large drop in oil [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2012, 16:11
b
this is parallelism. and we must parallel lowering to a rally and a weakening, which B does.
_________________

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2013
Posts: 128
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 110

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: One view of the economy contends that a large drop in oil [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 07:12
THe correct answer here is B.

However i am confused how come below 2 clauses are parallel

1. a lowering of interest rates and of fears about inflation
2. a rally in stocks and bonds
3. and a weakening of the dollar

1 and 3 are parallel, but 1 and 2 is not. Shouldn't 2 be a 'rallying stocks and bonds' for it to be parallel?
Please help to clarify. Thanks in advance.

Posted from my mobile device Image
_________________

“Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong.”

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1794
Followers: 1300

Kudos [?]: 3682 [0], given: 185

Re: One view of the economy contends that a large drop in oil [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 16:43
Expert's post
ankur1901 wrote:
THe correct answer here is B.

However i am confused how come below 2 clauses are parallel

1. a lowering of interest rates and of fears about inflation
2. a rally in stocks and bonds
3. and a weakening of the dollar

1 and 3 are parallel, but 1 and 2 is not. Shouldn't 2 be a 'rallying stocks and bonds' for it to be parallel?
Please help to clarify. Thanks in advance.

Posted from my mobile device Image


Hi Ankur,

Thanks for posting your doubt here. :)

1. a lowering of interest rates and of fears about inflation
2. a rally in stocks and bonds
3. and a weakening of the dollar

First of all, just a correction in understanding here. These three entities are not clauses. they are phrases. Clauses must have Subjects and Verbs. None of these entities have a Subject or a Verb. So they are all phrases.

Now, if you carefully notice, the last two entities in the parallel list lie in the non-underlined portion of the sentence. That means they are correct. here itself we see that entity two - a proper noun entity - is parallel to entity three - a verb-ing of noun entity. So this is accepted in GMAT. Why? The answer to that is verb-ing noun form of a word acts as a noun only (gerund, if you are more familiar with this term), and hence a two noun entities are grammatically parallel.

Now, here one thing we must pay attention to that is the verb-ing word must be a noun form of a word in order to be grammatically parallel to another noun entity. In case, the verb-ing word is a modifier then it CANNOT be grammatically parallel to a noun entity. This is the case with the original official sentence.

This error has been rectified in choice B.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Mar 2012
Posts: 71
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 20

Re: One view of the economy contends that a large drop in oil [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2014, 01:35
Why is option C wrong?
c: a lowering of interest rates, along with fears about inflation
thanks in advance

egmat wrote:
ankur1901 wrote:
THe correct answer here is B.

However i am confused how come below 2 clauses are parallel

1. a lowering of interest rates and of fears about inflation
2. a rally in stocks and bonds
3. and a weakening of the dollar

1 and 3 are parallel, but 1 and 2 is not. Shouldn't 2 be a 'rallying stocks and bonds' for it to be parallel?
Please help to clarify. Thanks in advance.

Posted from my mobile device Image


Hi Ankur,

Thanks for posting your doubt here. :)

1. a lowering of interest rates and of fears about inflation
2. a rally in stocks and bonds
3. and a weakening of the dollar

First of all, just a correction in understanding here. These three entities are not clauses. they are phrases. Clauses must have Subjects and Verbs. None of these entities have a Subject or a Verb. So they are all phrases.

Now, if you carefully notice, the last two entities in the parallel list lie in the non-underlined portion of the sentence. That means they are correct. here itself we see that entity two - a proper noun entity - is parallel to entity three - a verb-ing of noun entity. So this is accepted in GMAT. Why? The answer to that is verb-ing noun form of a word acts as a noun only (gerund, if you are more familiar with this term), and hence a two noun entities are grammatically parallel.

Now, here one thing we must pay attention to that is the verb-ing word must be a noun form of a word in order to be grammatically parallel to another noun entity. In case, the verb-ing word is a modifier then it CANNOT be grammatically parallel to a noun entity. This is the case with the original official sentence.

This error has been rectified in choice B.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2012
Posts: 17
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 06-26-2014
GPA: 4
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 24

CAT Tests
Re: One view of the economy contends that a large drop in oil [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2014, 06:40
C is wrong because "a lowering of interest rates, along with fears about inflation" is not parallel. While in B: a lowering of interest rates and of fears about inflation are parallel.


divineacclivity wrote:
Why is option C wrong?
c: a lowering of interest rates, along with fears about inflation
thanks in advance

egmat wrote:
ankur1901 wrote:
THe correct answer here is B.

However i am confused how come below 2 clauses are parallel

1. a lowering of interest rates and of fears about inflation
2. a rally in stocks and bonds
3. and a weakening of the dollar

1 and 3 are parallel, but 1 and 2 is not. Shouldn't 2 be a 'rallying stocks and bonds' for it to be parallel?
Please help to clarify. Thanks in advance.

Posted from my mobile device Image


Hi Ankur,

Thanks for posting your doubt here. :)

1. a lowering of interest rates and of fears about inflation
2. a rally in stocks and bonds
3. and a weakening of the dollar

First of all, just a correction in understanding here. These three entities are not clauses. they are phrases. Clauses must have Subjects and Verbs. None of these entities have a Subject or a Verb. So they are all phrases.

Now, if you carefully notice, the last two entities in the parallel list lie in the non-underlined portion of the sentence. That means they are correct. here itself we see that entity two - a proper noun entity - is parallel to entity three - a verb-ing of noun entity. So this is accepted in GMAT. Why? The answer to that is verb-ing noun form of a word acts as a noun only (gerund, if you are more familiar with this term), and hence a two noun entities are grammatically parallel.

Now, here one thing we must pay attention to that is the verb-ing word must be a noun form of a word in order to be grammatically parallel to another noun entity. In case, the verb-ing word is a modifier then it CANNOT be grammatically parallel to a noun entity. This is the case with the original official sentence.

This error has been rectified in choice B.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1794
Followers: 1300

Kudos [?]: 3682 [2] , given: 185

Re: One view of the economy contends that a large drop in oil [#permalink] New post 14 May 2014, 03:30
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
divineacclivity wrote:
Why is option C wrong?
c: a lowering of interest rates, along with fears about inflation
thanks in advance

egmat wrote:
ankur1901 wrote:
THe correct answer here is B.

However i am confused how come below 2 clauses are parallel

1. a lowering of interest rates and of fears about inflation
2. a rally in stocks and bonds
3. and a weakening of the dollar

1 and 3 are parallel, but 1 and 2 is not. Shouldn't 2 be a 'rallying stocks and bonds' for it to be parallel?
Please help to clarify. Thanks in advance.

Posted from my mobile device Image


Hi Ankur,

Thanks for posting your doubt here. :)

1. a lowering of interest rates and of fears about inflation
2. a rally in stocks and bonds
3. and a weakening of the dollar

First of all, just a correction in understanding here. These three entities are not clauses. they are phrases. Clauses must have Subjects and Verbs. None of these entities have a Subject or a Verb. So they are all phrases.

Now, if you carefully notice, the last two entities in the parallel list lie in the non-underlined portion of the sentence. That means they are correct. here itself we see that entity two - a proper noun entity - is parallel to entity three - a verb-ing of noun entity. So this is accepted in GMAT. Why? The answer to that is verb-ing noun form of a word acts as a noun only (gerund, if you are more familiar with this term), and hence a two noun entities are grammatically parallel.

Now, here one thing we must pay attention to that is the verb-ing word must be a noun form of a word in order to be grammatically parallel to another noun entity. In case, the verb-ing word is a modifier then it CANNOT be grammatically parallel to a noun entity. This is the case with the original official sentence.

This error has been rectified in choice B.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha



Hi divineacclivity,

Thank you for the post. :)

Let’s do the sentence structure and meaning analysis for the original sentence and option C to find out why option C is wrong.


ORIGINAL SENTENCE

One view of the economy contends
o that a large drop in oil prices should eventually lead to
• lowering interest rates, as well as lowering fears about inflation,
• a rally in stocks and bonds,
• and a weakening of the dollar.

As shown, the drop in oil prices should lead to three things:

1. i) lowering interest rates
ii) as well as lowering fears about inflation

2. a rally in stocks and bonds

3. and a weakening of the dollar.


Now, let’s do the same for option C.


OPTION C

One view of the economy contends
o that a large drop in oil prices should eventually lead to
• a lowering of interest rates, along with fears about inflation,
• a rally in stocks and bonds,
• and a weakening of the dollar.

According to this option, the drop in oil prices should lead to three things:

1. i) a lowering of interest rates,
ii) along with fears about inflation

2. a rally in stocks and bonds

3. and a weakening of the dollar.


This choice says that a drop in oil prices will eventually lead to fears about inflation. This is not the intended meaning of the sentence. This change in the meaning happens since “of interest rates” is not parallel to “along with fears about inflation”. Let’s now see how this parallelism is correctly maintained in option B.



OPTION B


One view of the economy contends
o that a large drop in oil prices should eventually lead to
• a lowering
o of interest rates
o and of fears about inflation,
• a rally in stocks and bonds,
• and a weakening of the dollar.

In this option, “of interest rates” is parallel to “of fears about inflation”. So, the lowering effect is applicable on both.


Hope the above discussion helps! :)
Regards,

Deepak.
_________________

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Re: One view of the economy contends that a large drop in oil   [#permalink] 14 May 2014, 03:30
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 One view of the economy contends that a large drop in oil BANON 14 23 Feb 2012, 23:54
1 One view of the economy contends that a large drop in oil gmatpunjabi 9 17 Feb 2012, 11:32
One view of the economy contends that a large drop in oil kimmyg 3 13 Sep 2005, 04:42
One view of the economy contends that a large drop in oil vprabhala 3 26 Jan 2005, 17:45
One view of the economy contends that a large drop in oil prasad_bgv 1 10 Jan 2005, 21:06
Display posts from previous: Sort by

One view of the economy contends that a large drop in oil

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.