Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 10:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

One week left to G-Day, possible to get 30 points more?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: HEC
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

One week left to G-Day, possible to get 30 points more? [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2011, 07:45
Hi folks,

I am planning to apply this year to some B-Schools in Europe and have talked to their admissions. They all came down to the fact that they like my profile and some even admitted that they would admit me right away. Only important criteria: "You have to get a 700 in the GMAT at least." Knowing that, I registered here a while ago but did not really work hard enough during that time (only spend some 1-2 hours per day in november on doing some OG questions + had some 10 exams and several case studies to answer in between). In addition, I was confused by the large amount of material available. Anyways, I started this year with some 3 good hours per day for the GMAT just solving the whole OG, after continuing with MGMAT for some more hours per day.

Right now I have one week left to the real GMAT (January 30th) and did some practise tests already. I still got the two last maths MGMAT books and the RC+CR MGMAT books to go. I believe I can improve my maths to some score around 48-49 (after having gained the knowledge needed for statistics and combinatorics). After that I am planning to do some GMAT club tests and I ordered the OG verbal review. Even though the questions on the real GMAT will be harder I just want to practise on verbal and stay "within the flow".

I did the MGMAT CAT today including AWA and got a 680 Q47 V36. I also did the GMAT prep last wednesday and got a 690 Q48 V38. I noticed that the GMAT prep was actually a bit easier than MGMAT. The 4 hours in front of the laptop for the MGMAT really exhausted me. I included all breaks (10 min per break) and during verbal I was close to falling asleep throughout the RC questions.

What do you think? Is it still possible for me to reach 700 at least with one week left?

Looking at my score I think I just need to push my verbals somehow to a higher level.

After this experience I am planning to do one CAT everyday simulating the GMAT environment.

On top I am planning my last week like this:
Today + Tomorrow: Use MGMAT CAT 4 - Finish MGMAT Word Translations, Geometry, Critical Reasoning, Reading Comprehension
Tuesday: Use MGMAT CAT 5 - Go through MGMAT SC again. Do as much of the MGMAT question banks as possible.
Wednesday: Redo - GMAT Prep 1 - Prepare a sheet with all important and relevant quant shortcuts in quant that are mentioned in MGMAT. Practise on some verbal questions out of the Verbal OG.
Thursday: Use MGMAT CAT 6 - Revise all mistakes made in the MGMAT CATs. Do gmatclub tests on verbal and quant, finish the verbal OG.
Friday: Use GMAT Prep 2 - Revise - finish all question banks and questions that remain. Check my error log on the OG.
Saturday: Do GMAT Prep 2 again - read the OG passage about AWA. Chill.
Sunday: G-Day

MGMAT 1 - 580 - Q36 V33
MGMAT 2 - 650 - Q44 V35
GMAT 1 - 690 - Q48 V38
MGMAT 3 - 680 - Q47 V36
MGMAT 4 - 690 - Q44 V39
GMAT 2 - 700 - Q48 V37

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: One week left to G-Day, possible to get 30 points more? [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2011, 07:54
we just talked about my verbal score in my thread, so here's my hint: because you're running out of time i would't recommend buying a book!

have you already analysed your weaknesses in verbal?

i detected extreme deficiencies in SC and tried to fix them by reading the MGMAT SC book! -> if you got the same weakness i really suggest the download of "Slingfox' SC Guide" .. somewhere here in the forum! it contains almost similar things as MGMAT SC book just extremely shortened! this could help you!

*edit: sorry, just read the last paragraph .. so perhaps stop taking the book and use the shortened version :)

MGMAT CAT 1 - 710 (Q44 / V42)
MGMAT CAT 2 - 610 (Q44 / V31)
MGMAT CAT 3 - 660 (Q46 / V34)
MGMAT CAT 4 - 680 (Q47 / V35) [incl AWA]
MGMAT CAT 5 - 730 (Q49 / V40) [incl AWA / i knew a few questions .. 1 in Quant & 2 in Verbal]
MGMAT CAT 6 - 730 (Q50 / V40) [no repeats .. lucky me :)]
GMAT CAT 1 retake - 650 (Q45 / V35) [if somebody could tell me what went wrong .. i'd be happy -.-]
GMAT CAT 2 retake - 740( Q49 / V41)
GMAT CAT 1 quant retake (Q49) [only knew 3-4 questions, did 2 of them wrong]

G-DAY: March 4th

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Re: One week left to G-Day, possible to get 30 points more? [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 14:46
After having finished the MGMAT verbal books I come to the most disappointing conclusion of my preparation (three days ahead of G-day :x): These books actually really help and it is really possible to improve drastically on your verbal skills.

My recommendation to anyone within his/her preparation right now would be to go through all MGMAT books as fast as possible and try to understand all mistakes done so far. The pure studying should finish at least one week prior to G-Day. Then it is possible to work out where your weaknesses are and also in addition to work out some strategies that might be very useful to save time and effort.

One of these things is this link for example (sorry, German only): http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formelsammlung_Geometrie

This link provides all necessary formulas for GMAT geometry and on top contains some more formulas, which MGMAT does not have but which are still very useful and can even cut some more time. Therefore, consider (especially for maths) not just pure GMAT resources but also those like Wikipedia or any non-GMAT resources. Those are often the ones that provide time-saving strategies.

MGMAT 1 - 580 - Q36 V33
MGMAT 2 - 650 - Q44 V35
GMAT 1 - 690 - Q48 V38
MGMAT 3 - 680 - Q47 V36
MGMAT 4 - 690 - Q44 V39
GMAT 2 - 700 - Q48 V37

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 115

Reviews Badge
Re: One week left to G-Day, possible to get 30 points more? [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 15:47
Hii!
I don't think I can realy help you but just wanted to share my thoughts. If you expect a 30 point increase on the test day then I think it will depend a lot on how you perform under pressure during the test. Considering that you go through all the GMAT topics again/your weak areas before your exam, you may be able to score well provided you concentrate really well in the test. And, don't forget to go through some AWA samples :)

Good Luck and Let us know how it went.
P.S.:I agree with you that MGMAT books are excellent and by going through it honestly, we can improve our scores a lot.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 5

Re: One week left to G-Day, possible to get 30 points more? [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2011, 15:07
This post received
KUDOS
After all preparations paid dividends. I finally received a 750 :D:

I posted a detailed debrief right here:

750-q49-v44-i-don-t-know-how-i-did-it-108491.html

MGMAT 1 - 580 - Q36 V33
MGMAT 2 - 650 - Q44 V35
GMAT 1 - 690 - Q48 V38
MGMAT 3 - 680 - Q47 V36
MGMAT 4 - 690 - Q44 V39
GMAT 2 - 700 - Q48 V37

Re: One week left to G-Day, possible to get 30 points more?   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2011, 15:07