Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 15:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

One-year-olds ordinarily prefer the taste of sweet food to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 59 [1] , given: 66

One-year-olds ordinarily prefer the taste of sweet food to [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 04:20
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
One-year-olds ordinarily prefer the taste of sweet food to that of salty food. Yet if one feeds a one-year-old salty food rather than sweet food, then over a period of about a year he or she will develop a taste for the salty flavor and choose to eat salty food rather than sweet food. Thus, a young child’s taste preferences can be affected by the type of food he or she has been exposed to.
Which one of the following is an assumption required by the argument?
(A) Two-year-olds do not naturally prefer salty food to sweet food
(B) A child’s taste preferences usually changes between age one and age two.
(C) Two-year-olds do not naturally dislike salty food so much that they would not choose it over some other foods.
(D) The salty food fed to infants in order to change their taste preferences must taste pleasant?
(E) Sweet food is better for infant development than is salty food
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 210

Re: cr...plz explain [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 05:10
I think its A.

The argument is :a young child’s taste preferences can be affected by the type of food he or she has been exposed to

Now the only option of the 5 that can totally destroy this argument is the opposite of A. If two year olds naturally preferred salty food then this guys assertion breaks completely.

suyashjhawar wrote:
One-year-olds ordinarily prefer the taste of sweet food to that of salty food. Yet if one feeds a one-year-old salty food rather than sweet food, then over a period of about a year he or she will develop a taste for the salty flavor and choose to eat salty food rather than sweet food. Thus, a young child’s taste preferences can be affected by the type of food he or she has been exposed to.
(C) Two-year-olds do not naturally dislike salty food so much that they would not choose it over some other foods.
(D) The salty food fed to infants in order to change their taste preferences must taste pleasant?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Re: cr...plz explain [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 05:56
I select B.

But I know its wrong , bacause I know the ans as I tried it few days ago.

I don't understand why we want to break the conclusion in the "Assumption" Q. A for me is correct for stem like
"most seriously waekens the above conclusion" etc ....

But for assuption we go with the conclusion and try to point out something which links premises to conlusion.
B seems to fit the most , saying that in 1-2 year the child will change the preference, this is an assumption
for me.

But yes, out of the 5 options "contenders" are A and B only.

So if we find a flaw in B , we are oblidged to select A.

I think the flaw in B is the use of uncertainity = "usually" and in the stimulus it is "will change". The tone changes...... this is the reason to eliminate B ... I think
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [1] , given: 12

Re: cr...plz explain [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 07:44
This post received
KUDOS
B is wrong because if it were true , then the argument would fall apart. If they naturally change taste preferences, then the argument stating that taste preference is based on experience would be shattered.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Re: cr...plz explain [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 08:19
The way I think of B is not that the "taste" changes by itself. But only on circumstances
the "taste" can change. I mean, if the child is never given salty it cannot develop taste for salty ... isn't it ?
So the argument remains valid with option B. But even if I consider what you say to shatter the argument, the A does the same too !!!!

One small note : Please consider my writting as a plead to be clear. If I sound very stupid
its GMAT beast killing me :(
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 0

Re: cr...plz explain [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 08:55
This post received
KUDOS
I go with A.

It sounds obvious that one does not need to affect childs taste if child is anyway gonna prefer salty at the end of 2 years. So A has to be assumption.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 66

Re: cr...plz explain [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 11:09
Oa is a...i went for b...now its clear...thanks
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 210

Re: cr...plz explain [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 13:19
As terp said earlier, B would break the argument straight away. We need something whose OPPOSITE breaks the argument, which is A.

huntgmat wrote:
I select B.

But I know its wrong , bacause I know the ans as I tried it few days ago.

I don't understand why we want to break the conclusion in the "Assumption" Q. A for me is correct for stem like
"most seriously waekens the above conclusion" etc ....

But for assuption we go with the conclusion and try to point out something which links premises to conlusion.
B seems to fit the most , saying that in 1-2 year the child will change the preference, this is an assumption
for me.

But yes, out of the 5 options "contenders" are A and B only.

So if we find a flaw in B , we are oblidged to select A.

I think the flaw in B is the use of uncertainity = "usually" and in the stimulus it is "will change". The tone changes...... this is the reason to eliminate B ... I think
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 1

Re: cr...plz explain [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2008, 01:12
suyashjhawar wrote:

I'll say choice A.

COnclusion: a young child’s taste preferences can be affected by the type of food he or she has been exposed to.

Premise: If one feeds a child salty food instead of sweet food then in a period over a year the child will prefer salty food to sweet food.

Clearly inorder for this statement to hold it must be true that two year olds do not naturally prefer salty foods to sweet foods, if they naturally do then the argument falls apart.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: cr...plz explain [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 11:57
Although, I can understand why the OA is A, I still can not completely discredit B. If a child's taste preference do not usually chage between age one and two, then wouldnt the conclusion that 'a young child's taste preference can be affected by the type of food he/she has been exposed to' fall apart? --> whether they are exposed or not, does not matter since they do not change their taste preference so they must not be affected by the food he/she has been exposed to??
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: cr...plz explain [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 12:17
suyashjhawar wrote:

(A)Two-year-olds do not naturally prefer salty food to sweet food
>> This does not relate to the assumption of the argument in any way.
>> Opposite of the argument.
>> Out of scope.
>> out of scope.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 320 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: cr...plz explain [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 17:55
gmat blows wrote:
Although, I can understand why the OA is A, I still can not completely discredit B. If a child's taste preference do not usually chage between age one and two, then wouldnt the conclusion that 'a young child's taste preference can be affected by the type of food he/she has been exposed to' fall apart? --> whether they are exposed or not, does not matter since they do not change their taste preference so they must not be affected by the food he/she has been exposed to??

It is somewhat difficult to explain. I try this way!

The Flaw of this argument is "what the child was fed at age-one will be exactly
what she or he chooses to feed at age-two
". During one year, from age-one to age-two, author must assume that there is nothing affecting on her/his preference or the child's taste preference did not change. Stop!

Let see B. The taste preference of the child usually changes during that one year. Do you relize that B points out the flaw of this argument?. Thus, B weakens the argument, not assumption of it, right?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: cr...plz explain   [#permalink] 09 May 2008, 17:55