Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 18:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

One year program for international students

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

One year program for international students [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2013, 21:32
Hello,

I am planning to apply to some 1 year programs this year.
Now since a 1 year program won't provide me an opportunity of an internship I want to know the possible downsides of this. I have a purely technology background in a renewable energy company and a 6 years of work-ex. Post MBA I want to get into a rotation program or into consulting in energy/ engineering domain. So how difficult it is for international students out of 1 year programs to find a job. Now as I read that 1 year program is suitable for people who don't want to change careers significantly. In my case I am planning to change the function from a purely technology role to strategy role in the same industry. Will it be considered as a significant career change? Moreover, will it be difficult to network within 1 year considering the fact that the course in itself would be quite rigorous? Are companies willing to sponsor visas to students out of 1 year programs in US / Canada?
I hope someone can provide insights into a 1 year program.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: One year program for international students [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2013, 15:41
There are very few one year MBA programs in the US. It is very difficult to evaluate your profile with such little information. I don’t think it will be difficult to get into Canadian schools with your profile.

Regarding career change - though it is slightly easier in your case, it is not a cake walk with a one year MBA. If I were you, I would go for a 2 year MBA. It will open up many opportunities that you might not be even aware. Explore the January intake at INSEAD as well. INSEAD is definitely the best 1 year MBA program in the world. September intake doesn’t have the internship option whereas January intake has a 6 week internship window. London Business School’s MBA can be completed in 15 months. You might want to explore that as well. It will give you an opportunity to do internship as well.

Will it be difficult to network? Yes. As you rightly said, the course is crunched within a short span of time, and you won’t get enough time to do networking compared to a 2 year program. But, you have to make extra effort. MBA is a lot about networking and less about books. You have to balance your assignments and career aspirations.

Best of Luck!
http://www.InterviewBay.com

- Get Ready For the Interview
MBA | Finance | Consulting | General Mgmt
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

Re: One year program for international students [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2013, 18:33
I'm curious why you are considering only 1 year programs? Why limit yourself?

If you are shifting your functional area of focus from IT to strategy, you will find it difficulty if you have no experience (ie - internship) in strategy. It's challenging enough for international students - why make it harder?

Wendy

Wendy Flynn
15 Years as Director of MBA Admissions - Now Working For the Applicants as the MBA Admissions Coach
Wendy Flynn is the MBA Admissions Coach, providing comprehensive MBA admissions consulting services. As the former Director of MBA Admissions for 15 years at a top-30 MBA pgoram, Wendy holds deep expertise in admissions issues for Full-Time, Executive and Professional (Part-Time) MBA Programs. Through her blog, MBA Expert Insights, she brings the view of the Director of MBA admissions to MBA applicants and others.

WendyLFlynn89@gmail.com
Web: http://MBAAdmissionsCoach.com
MBA Expert Insights Blog: http://www.mbaadmissionscoach.com/blog/
Facebook: http://Facebook.com/MBAAdmissionsCoach
Twitter: http://www.Twitter.com/WendyLFlynn
Member of the AIGAC, Association of International Graduate Admissions Counselors

Re: One year program for international students   [#permalink] 13 Jun 2013, 18:33