Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 05:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ongoing struggle with GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Ongoing struggle with GMAT [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2005, 22:17
Hi,

I took the GMATs for the first time back in March; my score was low, and I was not in the right frame of mind when I took the test. A week prior, a relative passed away unexpectedly. I decided to study hard for the following months. I just took the GMATs for the second time last week end--scored 510. I was very surprised with this score. I took six mock exams, and scored between 570-690. So, I felt very confident that I would break 600. I scored much higher in the math section, and this surprised me because I am usually much stronger in verbal/language areas. On my first GMAT, both AWA's were 6.0.

Here is what I have done to prepare:
- Took a GMAT prep class
- Used the Official Guide (I've done about 700 of the problems)
- Used Princeton Review books
- Used Kaplan books
- Used Barrons books

I need to break a 600 in order to be accepted into the MBA program in which I am interested. I am retaking the test at the end of July so that Admissions can still process my application for consideration for the upcoming year.

I have been worried and stressed about how I should study for the test now; I feel like I just keep buying books. This site looks like it will be a fantastic resource. I would really appreciate some feedback and help in forming a more effective study strategy to help maximize my score.

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2005, 13:31
Did you improve with respect to the first exam? What do you think you should have done better? Is your school set on the 600 or does it accept lower scores? Did you find the test much harder than the OG or of analogous difficulty? Don't despair about entrance to the school of your choice. I have no idea what school you want to attend, but I can tell you that I have seen some pretty shabby institutions request scores that are way beyond the schools' worth. Talk about taking yourself too seriously!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2005, 14:38
Given your practice scores, I'd say your luck was running bad on the exam. This happens. You probably got wrong questions.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2005, 21:13
Thanks for the responses. I am looking to enter the University of Denver's Daniels College of Business MBA program. DU is placing major emphasis on GMAT scores and ignoring the other parts of the application. If you break a 600, you are guaranteed admission--if you break a 700, you get scholarships. A few friends applied and were close to 600, but were denied.

I found the math section fairly comparable to the OG, and I thought that parts of the verbal section were harder than the OG.

For now, I am spending a week on different parts of the exam (data sufficiency, problem solving, critical reasoning, sentence correction, and reading comprehension). Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help. I wish that I found this forum sooner.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2005, 07:06
No offense, but I have never heard of the school and there are higher ranked programs that have lower cutoff scores than those. I think the school takes itself too seriously and obviously has not grasped the GMAT's ultimate purpose, which is to be one factor among many others. I would look into other programs --UC or UC Boulder.
  [#permalink] 29 Jun 2005, 07:06