Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 19:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Online Chat with Admits/Current Students

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Online Chat with Admits/Current Students [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 12:27
This is an awesome initiative by GMAT club. I would like to submit below queries to our panel:

1) I would be interested in knowing which schools would be good fit for a techie who wants to get in to a product management role after MBA.

2) I have taken GMAT multiple times and would like to know if schools really mean it when they say they consider highest GMAT score. It has been discussed in some of the threads on GMAT Club but would like to know directly from the people who are actually attending the Top schools.

3) How important are campus visits? How to best utilize the campus visits, and what to wear (business formal or business casual) when visiting a school?

4) How to start interacting with current students and alumni? I mean just drop an email showing intentions of applying to school or is there any better way of initiating the conversation.

Thanks.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 157

GMAT Tests User
Re: Online Chat with Admits/Current Students [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 13:29
I would highly appreciate if any representative from U.S. B Schools in the range 5-20 (excluding M7) involving Mba Technology or Mba Consulting, could answer my questions.

1)In Bschools view, How important is the Company Brand name in the past work experience. If one has worked in a boutique firm(given that its a boutique pulic firm in international location) but gained good team management, client management experience, and introduced new technologies that improved the productivity and efficiency of company and clients, would it be regarded as good work experience ?

2)Do adcoms even care to hear about mitigating circumstances, i.e. if you had to take a significant decision at some point in your career, does explaining it in the essays even help or is it just YAWN?

3)Why do every year, so few people graduate in Mba Technology, from B schools , is the study or career growth prospects so bleak and mundane? How are candidates from Mba Technology looked at by other students, nerdy?
(In a 100% profile, only 8% or so get placed into Technology.)

4)For International students, especially Indians, how can a candidate stregthen his/her profile to attract the adcoms, (YES this is a generic question, BUT if i was already in a BSchool i would certainly have an advise for others), i mean improve in terms of does it help to polish and represent past experience, how does your future goals relate to your mba, recom letters, getting an admission consultant`s view/expertise.

5)Do Mba Technology or Mba strategy students manage to get placed into any Senior Management, or Management roles during placements?

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Online Chat with Admits/Current Students [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 13:44
Suker wrote:
Too bad it's in the middle of the night for me, otherwise I'd be more than happy to share my experience with applying for HBS. Only matriculating this fall, so I can't comment on life at HBS though.

Will there be a chat at a more convenient time for the rest of the world as well ? :-P

The chat times tend to cater to the people in the USA (as the hosts are typically students or alums working in the USA). We cater to our hosts time zone.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2273

Kudos [?]: 8782 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Online Chat with Admits/Current Students [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 14:38
Expert's post
Suker wrote:
Too bad it's in the middle of the night for me, otherwise I'd be more than happy to share my experience with applying for HBS. Only matriculating this fall, so I can't comment on life at HBS though.

Will there be a chat at a more convenient time for the rest of the world as well ? :-P

Thanks! This will be fantastic for the follow up chat in Sept/October and hopefully by that time, time zone issue will be resolved ;)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Online Chat with Admits/Current Students [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 15:54
Expert's post
One hour until the chat!!!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Current Student
Schools: HBS - Class of 2012, INSEAD,
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Online Chat with Admits/Current Students [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 22:47
mohater wrote:
Suker wrote:

The chat times tend to cater to the people in the USA (as the hosts are typically students or alums working in the USA). We cater to our hosts time zone.

When I'm in the US, I'll be more than happy to help hosting a chat in the morning US-time so that the people who couldn't wake up at 3 or 4 AM for this chat can join as well. Saturday, Sunday or some random public holiday, ... should be feasible to do that, no?

Out of curiosity, how many people signed into the chat last night? How many current students/alumni were present?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Online Chat with Admits/Current Students [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 22:55
Expert's post
Thanks! Definitely feasible for the next one.

I saw 22 or 24 as the highest number.
There were 3-4 students/alums.
Mohater has the exact count

Founder of GMAT Club

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 157

GMAT Tests User
Re: Online Chat with Admits/Current Students [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 23:40
when will the chat thread be posted.

Regards.

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 398 [1] , given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Online Chat with Admits/Current Students [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 04:37
This post received
KUDOS
bb wrote:
Thanks! Definitely feasible for the next one.

I saw 22 or 24 as the highest number.
There were 3-4 students/alums.
Mohater has the exact count

We had 3-4 hosts, and 5 at one point. (some people who said he/she was not available showed up)

Attendees were up and down as well, but 24 or so is about right.

Some people asked about the AWA guide:
how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html

Sanitized chat log is attached. The names of the hosts have been removed.

Thread has been removed as an announcement.
Next chat will probably take place early to mid October.
Attachments

Pre R1 Chat.xls [95.5 KiB]
Downloaded 26 times

To download please login or register as a user

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Online Chat with Admits/Current Students [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 17:57
very useful info
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 10

Re: Online Chat with Admits/Current Students [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 20:39
Hi -

Any transcripts of this chat available anywhere...?

Please?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Online Chat with Admits/Current Students [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 21:05
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cambridge (R2-Matriculating), Nyenrode (Accepted), Oxford (R2-Interview invite)
WE 1: Army officer (Corps of Engineers)
WE 2: Air Quality Control Engineer
WE 3: Water Resources Engineer
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 19

Re: Online Chat with Admits/Current Students [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 21:24
journo - see mohater's post from earlier today

mohater - thanks again for organizing the chat yesterday, it was great! Not sure what the interest from other GMAT Club members would be, but any possibility of having a similar chat with alums / students from some European MBA programs?

Also, I was copying and pasting the info from yesterday into a Word document as the chat was going on to help me figure it all out better. All the host names have been sanitized. Please note, this is NOT a complete chat transcript, but rather just shows the main responses to the questions asked. It doesn't include the sidebars and doesn't include most of the post-chat discussion. I also fixed some of the grammar, so this should not be considered a chat transcript or what the hosts said verbatim. I find it a lot easier to read, so thought I'd share in case others are interested.
Attachments

MBA Chat_28Jul10_Clean.doc [49.5 KiB]
Downloaded 25 times

To download please login or register as a user

Re: Online Chat with Admits/Current Students   [#permalink] 29 Jul 2010, 21:24