Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

online mba vs. online engineering...dilemma..

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

online mba vs. online engineering...dilemma.. [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2010, 20:20
I live in california, want to pursue an MBA. I'm considering an online MBA at Mississippi State, Penn State, UMASS, Auburn, or Drexel.

I'm also thinking about online MS in Systems Engineering at Iowa State or Johns Hopkins and MS Engineering Management at CSU East Bay or San Jose State.

Which do you think employers would prefer and look at? I'm worried that no one would look at me if I have an online MBA.

Which of the schools that I listed above are good for each of the three degrees?
Intern
Intern

Re: online mba vs. online engineering...dilemma.. [#permalink] New post 12 May 2010, 02:50
do You have any experience in any filed.which bachelors degree do you have.?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: online mba vs. online engineering...dilemma.. [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 08:02
I think its a good question to ask the recruiting offices of those particular on-line schools. Specifically what prospects does one have, how have past graduates progressed, etc -- they should be tracking all that. No question there is a difference, but with some of those answers, you can assess how material the difference is.

Best of luck!
Aveek Guha, President, www.mbadaycamp.com
Intern
Intern

Re: online mba vs. online engineering...dilemma.. [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 14:29
It's definitely a valid question; the ROI on an online mba is notoriously hard to pin down. I would echo the sentiments here, and say you should reach out to the online schools and ask them about specifics: average starting salary after graduation, number of months it takes to find job, etc.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: online mba vs. online engineering...dilemma.. [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 18:45
i got my Master Comp Sci from NCSU online. I can tell you that it is not a whole lot different as it is more of professor teach and very little interaction. HOWEVER, MBA curriculum has a lot of interaction among students , case studies etc. so doing it online takes major chunk of that away. My advice is dont do online mba especially most of those schools are very good ranked.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: online mba vs. online engineering...dilemma.. [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 20:05
MBA is all about a lot of class interaction and team work. I really think an online degree defeats the purpose.

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: online mba vs. online engineering...dilemma.. [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 21:46
Dawgie wrote:
MBA is all about a lot of class interaction and team work. I really think an online degree defeats the purpose.

maybe years from now where video conferencing is common place and easy it *might* catch on.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Intern
Intern

Re: online mba vs. online engineering...dilemma.. [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 02:45
hey i too agree with it that MBA requires lot of class interactions, team work, presentations etc. which is not possible online. Though they provide you with the degree but what's the use if it remain on the peice of paper and lack those managerial skill. I will suggest that go with online system engineering, if you want to go with this online programme only.
Re: online mba vs. online engineering...dilemma..   [#permalink] 24 Sep 2010, 02:45